The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Brinkman Cimarron vs WMS

winecoolers

• Total Posts: 2
Brinkman Cimarron vs WMS Fri, 04/23/04 10:31 AM (permalink)
In reading many of the messages the WMS is mentioned several times over. I have been on the brink of purchasing the Brinkman Cimarron Smoker with its 1/4" steel construction and 75 year warranty, for around $325. After reading messages I am rethinking this. Does anyone have or had a Cimarron Smoker?
With the Cimarron Smoker I guess I was mainly excited about it because I can cook with wood and not have to use charcoal. I was also looking at the less expensive Brinkman Pitmaster, but I am reading those will need replacing in about 7 years. I really want to hear all sides before I spend the money.

Thanks

Willly

• Total Posts: 396
    RE: Brinkman Cimarron vs WMS Fri, 04/23/04 10:56 AM (permalink)
    My WSM has given me nothing but pleasure and good barbeque. What I like most is that I can tinker with it when I want to, but am equally comfortable leaving it for a few hours without any concern. If you really want an offset and want to try wood only, I think you are looking in the right direction in getting something with 1/4" steel. Cost was a factor for me, but the nearly worry free working of the WSM sold me.

Stogie

• Total Posts: 128
      RE: Brinkman Cimarron vs WMS Mon, 04/26/04 9:37 AM (permalink)
      Winecoolers......

Not sure who told you about burning logs, but that is only true if you burn them to coals first. The firebox on all these less expensive off-sets is simply not big enough to support combustion and a clean burning fire when using logs as the fuel source. That means you need 2 pits.....one to burn your logs to coals and the other is your pit.

I will say, the Cim is the best of these off-sets. It only needs a few mods that are listed. I will also warn you that ANY off-set needs constant baby sitting. At most you will get a 4-5 hr. burn time.....that is with charcoal and modifying the firebox and getting a charcoal basket. Otherwise plan on not sleeping when cooking a pork butt or shoulder.

The problem with all the off-sets is physics.....hot air rises and in an off-set you need to pull it sideways. Even the high end ones need to do this. Of course, they have special "tuning plates" and their fireboxes and exhaust vent are engineered to pull that air thru the cooking chamber. However, that makes for a very inefficient operation.

The WSM on the other hand is so much better in regards to EVERYTHING. I just did 32 lbs. of pork butts this weekend. I used ONE load of fuel and kept a steady temp for 21 hrs. I also slept for 8 hrs and upon awakening, the cooker was still humming along at my desired temp. This was all with gusty winds for the entire cook!

If you are worried about cooking space concerns, be sure to take into account the area near the firebox where it attaches to the cooking chamber. That can be a VERY hot spot and rendered useless. You may also need to take into consideration the other end of the cooking chamber...this may be too cool.....I forget if the exhaust is at the grill level. Besides, I can buy 2 WSM's for the same price as 1 Cim and end up with more space.

With my 2 WSM's and a kettle, I can feed 50 people ribs and chicken.

Just my opinion after being around cookers for 25 years.

Stogie

RibDog

• Total Posts: 593
        RE: Brinkman Cimarron vs WMS Mon, 04/26/04 12:20 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by Stogie

Winecoolers......

Not sure who told you about burning logs, but that is only true if you burn them to coals first. The firebox on all these less expensive off-sets is simply not big enough to support combustion and a clean burning fire when using logs as the fuel source. That means you need 2 pits.....one to burn your logs to coals and the other is your pit.

I will say, the Cim is the best of these off-sets. It only needs a few mods that are listed. I will also warn you that ANY off-set needs constant baby sitting. At most you will get a 4-5 hr. burn time.....that is with charcoal and modifying the firebox and getting a charcoal basket. Otherwise plan on not sleeping when cooking a pork butt or shoulder.

The problem with all the off-sets is physics.....hot air rises and in an off-set you need to pull it sideways. Even the high end ones need to do this. Of course, they have special "tuning plates" and their fireboxes and exhaust vent are engineered to pull that air thru the cooking chamber. However, that makes for a very inefficient operation.

The WSM on the other hand is so much better in regards to EVERYTHING. I just did 32 lbs. of pork butts this weekend. I used ONE load of fuel and kept a steady temp for 21 hrs. I also slept for 8 hrs and upon awakening, the cooker was still humming along at my desired temp. This was all with gusty winds for the entire cook!

If you are worried about cooking space concerns, be sure to take into account the area near the firebox where it attaches to the cooking chamber. That can be a VERY hot spot and rendered useless. You may also need to take into consideration the other end of the cooking chamber...this may be too cool.....I forget if the exhaust is at the grill level. Besides, I can buy 2 WSM's for the same price as 1 Cim and end up with more space.

With my 2 WSM's and a kettle, I can feed 50 people ribs and chicken.

Just my opinion after being around cookers for 25 years.

Stogie

Winecoolers,

Listen to Stogie, the man knows his stuff about BBQ!

John

winecoolers

• Total Posts: 2
          RE: Brinkman Cimarron vs WMS Sun, 05/2/04 9:01 AM (permalink)
          Thanks, Willly, Stogie & Ribdog.

Two days after I posted my message I purchased the Cimarron Smoker. I fired it up for the first time yesterday. I took your suggestion to use charcoal first, about 14 of them. Got it hot and stuffed the fire box with hickory logs. I guess I look at BBQ as an event, not really something I want to walk away from and forget. To me, that is part of then fun. After getting a constant temperature the smoker worked great. That one fill of firewood lasted 9 hours at 225. I think I could smoke all night at 185 without any worries. I tried some chicken on there for this first time. It turned out awesome. It took me back to the days when I managed a BBQ restaurant here in Kansas City, it was that good. I'll get the son-in-law a WMS when they move. We'll have a little competition.
          Thanks

Rogey88

• Total Posts: 3
            RE: Brinkman Cimarron vs WMS Mon, 05/10/04 12:34 PM (permalink)
            I have some kind of brinkmann offset cooker, but dont know how to use it. Do i put charcoal in the long part of the grill or just the fire box?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com