Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 50 of 50
mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend Fri, 11/11/05 1:04 AM (permalink)
How far does the Cincinnati style chile belt extend?

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17855
    RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend Fri, 11/11/05 1:10 AM (permalink)
    In my case, about 44 inches.

jmckee

• Total Posts: 1172
      RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend Fri, 11/11/05 8:40 AM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by mr chips

How far does the Cincinnati style chile belt extend?

Mine used to be out to the last notch.

jmckee

RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend Fri, 11/11/05 8:41 AM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Great minds run in the same channels. Either that, or fools think alike.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
          RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend Fri, 11/11/05 11:29 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Glad to be of service with such a good straight line.

Bone Man

• Total Posts: 35
            RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend Wed, 01/18/06 2:40 PM (permalink)
            The Chili Belt? There was a Gold Star in Maysville, KY and there was an Empress in Portsmouth but it went out in less than a year. Tried to charge too much money for a little tiny plate of spaghetti.

Ort. Carlton., I've got 2 neon beer lights (really old ones) -- a Schlitz and a Pabst. I hang 'em in my Grotto on Summer nights and plug 'em in while I'm drinkin' (every night). They're great!

A pal of mine brought me 12 cans of Weidemann last week (he's been in federal prison for 18 years for blowin' up a post office and now he wants to re-do all the old stuff) and it was just as rotten and rank as it was 35 years ago when I was stealing sips from dad's Weidemann as he watched Sparky Anderson and The Big Red machine whomp everybody else. Hudy too back in them good days!

I've been ordering Dixie chili lately online by the 6-pack (I use it for hot dog sauce -- they sent me an e-mail and said the price goes up in February!!!!) and it tastes great. Maybe they stick close to the recipe on the canned stuff. I make my own Gold Star Chili -- here's the recipe:

http://www.recipezaar.com/133250

My other chili recipes are there too -- just click my name (Bone man).

I prolly have something more to say but I'm more or less too tired to type any more..........

Wallyum

• Total Posts: 627
              RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend Wed, 01/18/06 4:14 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by mabk34

quote:
              Originally posted by Wallyum

Originally posted by Tristan Indiana
              Is Christian Moerlein still available? My understanding was that they went bankrupt, that they had product but it was held due to finanicial litigation. But I have heard commercials recently on 700 for CM.

Yes, Christian Moerlein is back. We saw it for sale at the Florence Sam's on Saturday when we weren't digging out from the 8 inches of snow we failed to get. It had a website on the bottom of the carton and it said it was brewed by the Christian Moerlein Brewing Company. I couldn't get the website to work, so I guess I missed a small detail.

Here's a link to an Enquirer story about Moerlein:

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2004/04/01/biz_moerlein01.html

I've seen it at Kroger, but haven't tasted the "new" stuff.

I've had several occasions to try Christian Moerlein since its return, and it seems to be Samuel Adams product relabeled for the Cincinnati market. That's not a bad thing. It's excellent beer and who doesn't like seeing a little local history preserved, even if it is in name only.

jmckee

RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend Thu, 02/1/07 10:09 AM (permalink)
                quote:

quote:
                Originally posted by mabk34

quote:

Originally posted by Tristan Indiana
                Is Christian Moerlein still available? My understanding was that they went bankrupt, that they had product but it was held due to finanicial litigation. But I have heard commercials recently on 700 for CM.

Yes, Christian Moerlein is back. We saw it for sale at the Florence Sam's on Saturday when we weren't digging out from the 8 inches of snow we failed to get. It had a website on the bottom of the carton and it said it was brewed by the Christian Moerlein Brewing Company. I couldn't get the website to work, so I guess I missed a small detail.

Here's a link to an Enquirer story about Moerlein:

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2004/04/01/biz_moerlein01.html

I've seen it at Kroger, but haven't tasted the "new" stuff.

I've had several occasions to try Christian Moerlein since its return, and it seems to be Samuel Adams product relabeled for the Cincinnati market. That's not a bad thing. It's excellent beer and who doesn't like seeing a little local history preserved, even if it is in name only.

Here's an interesting story:

When Hudepohl reintroduced the Moerlein brand in the 1980s (1970s?), a friend of mine did the creative work for the ad campaign, so most of us who knew him drank a lot of free Moerlein. As a joke, my mom bought me three old original stoneware Moerlein bottles (two pints, one quart) on an antique shop expedition with her mother in Illinois. Great gift, nice to have, and after Mom died, looking at the bottles brought back very fond memories of her sense of humor.

Cut to a few years ago. The Cincinnati Art Museum opened the Cincinnati Wing, a terrific exhibit on the city's rich and varied art history. Our family loved it, but when my son, Ian, and I were ooohing and aaahing over the Rookwood Pottery exhibit, my wife, Vickie, tugged on my sleeve and said, "C'mere a minute."

On the other side of the Rookwood room was an exhibit of more "utilitarian" pottery, stuff people would use in everyday life--including the twin of one of my pint Moerlein bottles. The provenance card said it was on loan from the Cincinnati Historical Society.

We went home, talked it over, and decided to offer the Art Museum two of the bottles. So we contacted the appropriate curator, and lo and behold, they were due to return the one on display to the Historical Society very soon. They were delighted with our offer.

So now, in the Cincinnati Wing, there are two Moerlein bottles from the 1880s, one pint and one quart. And the provenance card identifies them as a gift of Jack, Vickie, and Ian McKee in memory of my mother, Darlene M. McKee. Mom's reaction would be in character: "They put the name of a dumb li'l ol' country girl with an 8th grade education in the Art Museum?"

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15076
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend Thu, 02/1/07 10:31 AM (permalink)

We have a couple of Gold Star and Skyline Chili Parlors in the Louisville Area...100 miles from Cincinnati.

Sundancer7

RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend Thu, 02/1/07 11:37 AM (permalink)
                    Hopefully one of those chili fast food stores will be in Tennessee. I like them both.

Paul E. Smith
                    Knoxville, TN

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                      • Roadfood Insider
                      RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend Thu, 02/1/07 1:05 PM (permalink)
                      Skyline is the more prolific of the main 3

Skyline has locations in:

Ohio: Cleveland, Columbus, Toledo, Mansfield, Dayton, and all over SW Ohio
                      Indiana: SE Indiana, Indianaplois area
                      Kentucky: Louisville, Lexington, N KY area and Russell in E KY
                      Michigan: Lansing & Monroe
                      Florida: Clear Water area, F Lauderdale, F Myers, Naples

Gold Star

Indiana: Lawrenceburg
                      Ohio: SW Ohio, Dayton, Columbus
                      Kentucky: N KY area

Emperess

Indiana: SE Indiana
                      Ohio: Greater Cincy area
                      Kentucky: N KY area, Lexington

Sorry Paul according to the Skyline website, no TN plans yet

BakersBoy

• Total Posts: 302
                        RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend Thu, 02/1/07 1:39 PM (permalink)
                        Too all,

The Cincinnati Chili belt,(not my own) extends all the way to the Washington DC. area. We have the "Hard Times Cafe" featuring lots of different styles of chili. Check their web site:

www.hardtimes.com.

It really is quite good

BB

Wyatt_earl

• Total Posts: 2
                          RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend Mon, 02/12/07 10:55 PM (permalink)
                          I tried the Skyline in Indianapolis once - they asked me if I wanted Garlic Bread with my four way and, when I ask for oystger crackers, look at me like I'd asked for baked lizards.

lynndunham

• Total Posts: 194
                            RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend Thu, 02/15/07 5:35 PM (permalink)
                            I lived in Cincinnati 1965 to 1968. Loved the Skyline chili! Went through town about three years ago and stopped at a Skyline just off the freeway. The chili was good but not quite as spicy as I remembered. The waitress said that years ago the recipe had been modified to fit the tastes of the travelers. Too bad! I'd love to go back some time and try Blue Ash and some of the others. It's a lot of trouble to make Cinci chili from scratch and I've never been satisfied with the results. Good to know it can be ordered on-line. I don't imagine any of the stores in Arizona carry it.

jwagnerdsm

• Total Posts: 89
                              RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend Thu, 02/15/07 5:44 PM (permalink)
                              We've moved a six pack of Hude from house to house for 15 years because my wife has this idea that if the Bengels make it to the Super Bowl, it will be worth some kind of premium from the company or something. This ringing any bells with anyone. We live in Iowa and that six pack has turned by now and is taking up valuable room in our auxiliary beverage fridge.

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                                RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend Fri, 02/16/07 6:38 PM (permalink)
                                I have some of that too, don't know if 23 year old beer is any good though.

EJXD2

• Total Posts: 36
                                  RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend Sat, 02/17/07 4:11 PM (permalink)
                                  Gosh, I'm not sure when you were in Lexington last, but we have neither Skyline nor Emperess, but we do have several Gold Stars.

I'm heading to Cincinnati tomorrow and looking forward to introducing my wife to something besides Skyline, which we like, and Gold Star, which we're not as crazy about.

Sounds as if Blue Ash is the concensus pick here.
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by CajunKing

Gold Star

Emperess

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                                    RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend Sat, 02/17/07 5:11 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by EJXD2

Gosh, I'm not sure when you were in Lexington last, but we have neither Skyline nor Emperess, but we do have several Gold Stars.

I'm heading to Cincinnati tomorrow and looking forward to introducing my wife to something besides Skyline, which we like, and Gold Star, which we're not as crazy about.

Sounds as if Blue Ash is the concensus pick here.

quote:
                                    Originally posted by CajunKing

Gold Star

Emperess

Just posted what the skyline website had posted

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                                      RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend Sat, 02/17/07 5:54 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by Sundancer7
                                      Hopefully one of those chili fast food stores will be in Tennessee. I like them both.
                                      Paul E. Smith
                                      Knoxville, TN

Sundan?er,
                                      There used to be several Empress Chili locations in Greater Nashville, including one I used to go to on Elliston Place... this would have been about 1985-6. Think there was one out Nolensville Pike and one way out Highway 100 in Belle Meade or Bellevue... ten or so miles from downtown.
                                      You can see if any of them are still there, but I doubt it.
                                      The franchise operator's b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l daughter ran the Elliston Place location and was occasionally just the impetus I needed to go in there. The chili was good, too.
                                      For all those years I've wondered how she fared in the ensuing years.
                                      Nostalgically, Ort. Carlton in (Still) Chili-Chilly 30601-land.

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                                        RE: The sad demise of a Cincinnati legend Sat, 02/17/07 6:03 PM (permalink)
                                        Dearfolk,
                                        This is off the chili topic but square on the Cincinnati beer topic, so I hope y'all of our moderating vocation will let it stay.
                                        Shortly after Christian Moerlein was introduced, the company added another such brew to its portfolio... Christian Moerlein Dark. People, that was the best American Dark Lager I can ever remember drinking... only Prior Double Dark from Christian Schmidt in Philadelphia was as good, and it was closer to a Porter in its execution, regardless of whether the Prior recipe used Lager yeast or Ale yeast... I had to use Prior restraint to stop drinking it!
                                        My samples of Christian Moerlein Dark came in bottles: it was sold here for awhile. When I had it on draught in Cincinnati in 1982, I broke down and cried for joy... it was THAT good.
                                        Somebody oughta get ahold of Mr. Hardman out there and talk him into resurrecting the dark brew, too.
                                        Moer Lein Than Less, Ort. Carlton , Not Watching The Hudy Bowl in Athens, Georgia.
                                        P. S. Someone from Cincinnati informs me that she saw Hudy and Hudy Delight in 12-pack cans recently in Fort Thomas, Kentucky... fresh stock, she was assured. Next trip, she's driving and promises to bring me a 12-pack of each.
                                        Drink local whenever you can... keep 'em brewing!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                          Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 50 of 50

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                          • No New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                          • Read Message
                                          • Post New Thread
                                          • Reply to message
                                          • Post New Poll
                                          • Submit Vote
                                          • Post reward post
                                          • Delete my own posts
                                          • Delete my own threads
                                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com