The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

 Houston to CT

Author Message
dgeorge

  • Total Posts: 20
  • Joined: 4/13/2004
  • Location: bridgewater, CT
Houston to CT Fri, 05/7/04 12:14 PM (permalink)
I will be driving from Houston, Texas To Connecticut and I am looking for some good roadfood in between does anyone have any suggestions?
 
#1
    Ort. Carlton.

    • Total Posts: 3589
    • Joined: 4/9/2003
    • Location: Athens, GA
    RE: Houston to CT Fri, 05/7/04 5:50 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dgeorge

    I will be driving from Houston, Texas To Connecticut and I am looking for some good roadfood in between does anyone have any suggestions?


    dgeorge,
    Let some other people offer some suggestions and then I'll try to interject something apropos. By the way, roughly what route are you taking? Houston to CT takes in a lot of potential twists and turns, y'know. And there's a lot of difference in Roadfood in New Orleans, Mobile, and Atlanta from that of Waco, Texarkana, Little Rock, Memphis, and so forth.
    I'm pretty good regards old established places in portions of the Southeast, and others who lurk waiting to pounce on such a quiery as this know plenty of worthy stops as well.
    It would also help if you'll tell us some of your food likes and dislikes so we can steer you away from places that would potentially disappoint you and toward those that would make you glad you wandered by here.
    We all await your response(s).
    UnHungrily (But Only Momentarily!), Ort. Carlton in Lovely, Sunny, Warm Athens, Georgia... Which Isn't Too Far Off Your Path!
     
    #2
      dgeorge

      • Total Posts: 20
      • Joined: 4/13/2004
      • Location: bridgewater, CT
      RE: Houston to CT Fri, 05/7/04 8:00 PM (permalink)
      I will come up thru oklahoma then MO , Ind , Ohio and PA . I love BBQ , Hot Dogs and big food with meat involve
      quote:
      Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

      quote:
      Originally posted by dgeorge

      I will be driving from Houston, Texas To Connecticut and I am looking for some good roadfood in between does anyone have any suggestions?


      dgeorge,
      Let some other people offer some suggestions and then I'll try to interject something apropos. By the way, roughly what route are you taking? Houston to CT takes in a lot of potential twists and turns, y'know. And there's a lot of difference in Roadfood in New Orleans, Mobile, and Atlanta from that of Waco, Texarkana, Little Rock, Memphis, and so forth.
      I'm pretty good regards old established places in portions of the Southeast, and others who lurk waiting to pounce on such a quiery as this know plenty of worthy stops as well.
      It would also help if you'll tell us some of your food likes and dislikes so we can steer you away from places that would potentially disappoint you and toward those that would make you glad you wandered by here.
      We all await your response(s).
      UnHungrily (But Only Momentarily!), Ort. Carlton in Lovely, Sunny, Warm Athens, Georgia... Which Isn't Too Far Off Your Path!
       
      #3
        Ort. Carlton.

        • Total Posts: 3589
        • Joined: 4/9/2003
        • Location: Athens, GA
        RE: Houston to CT Sun, 05/9/04 11:36 PM (permalink)

        Originally posted by dgeorge

        I will come up thru oklahoma then MO , Ind , Ohio and PA . I love BBQ , Hot Dogs and big food with meat involved



        dgeorge,
        You're flat out of my geographical territory.
        There ought to be some places along your route specified in the restaurants section of this website. BBQ is a Kansas City staple, along with chicken dinners and (of course) steaks. Jefferson City has a cafe that specializes in brain sandwiches. St. Louis has "noodle parlors" that are as ubiquitous as Cincinnati's chili joints, but they serve chop suey instead... and don't forget the toasted ravioli and/or the snoot sandwiches (no joke on the latter!).
        By time you cross through Illinois and into Indiana, you're in farm cooking country. You might well find edible BBQ if you detour through Evansville, Indiana, but Henderson, Kentucky (right across the U. S. 41 bridge) is a better bet.
        Let me again leave you in the hands of other people more experienced in your route's Roadfoodings than I. Just let us know what you uncover, and good luck.
        Unknowingly, Ort. Carlton in Slowed-Down Athens, Georgia.
         
        #4
          Bulldozer Rectangle

          • Total Posts: 102
          • Joined: 1/15/2001
          • Location: Houston, TX
          RE: Houston to CT Mon, 05/10/04 8:50 AM (permalink)
          I've done that drive twice, but in the opposite direction. I went through Eastern PA, Knoxville, Atlanta, Louisiana...

          Those last 2 are roadfood heaven.

          Anyway, whichever direction you go, def go to Moe's Midtown and Harry's pizza once you get there. Great food in Houston, but I miss those places!
           
          #5
            mikeyjake

            • Total Posts: 28
            • Joined: 5/19/2004
            • Location: New York, NY
            RE: Houston to CT Wed, 05/19/04 1:10 PM (permalink)
            When you get past NYC, there is a holy grail of food to be eaten...

            Maybe the best dogs in the country (Food Channel thought so) about 20 minutes into CT on 95...
            http://www.superduperweenie.com/

            Then, in New Haven, the legends of pizza...
            http://www.pizzatherapy.com/pepe's.htm
            http://www.pizzatherapy.com/sally's.htm

            The original hamburger (maybe 5 minute drive away)
            http://www.louislunch.com/

            And, as a bonus... A few blocks away...
            http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=319

             
            #6
              mayor al

              • Total Posts: 15073
              • Joined: 8/20/2002
              • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
              • Roadfood Insider
              RE: Houston to CT Wed, 05/19/04 2:32 PM (permalink)
              Let's firm up the route just a bit more...
              Houston to OK City
              OK City to St Louis
              St Louis to ??? Indy and Columbus? or Louisville Cincin. Columbus?
              Columbus-Philly via I-70 and the Pike?? or I-80/84
              Give us the data, and you'll get more suggestions.
              Having done those routes several times...I would suggest thinking in terms of Houston-Texarkana-Little Rock- Memphis- Knoxville then up I-81 thru VA and PA. plenty of food on all of the possibilities.

              If you are not concerned with straight line driving the shortest distance.. do the New Orleans, River Road, Memphis, Nashville, Louisville, Cincincy, then up to I-70 east... You won't starve on that route !!
               
              #7
                Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

                Jump to:

                Current active users

                There are 0 members and 1 guests.

                Icon Legend and Permission

                • New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

                2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com