The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Nicaraguan Restaurants in the Northeast

daveritzdog

• Total Posts: 44
Nicaraguan Restaurants in the Northeast Fri, 05/7/04 9:09 PM (permalink)
I'm a Roadfooder who once hailed from Miami, but now lives in NYC! I really miss the funky, homestyle, mom and pop Nicaraguan steak joints I used to frequent in South Florida. Can Nicaraguan cuisine actually be found in the Big Apple or Northeastern region? I'm desperate here folks, so if anyone has any info please share. There has to be some Nicaraguan- Americans who call New York home! If there is a least one place, it's probably off the main streets and hidden in plain sight in a modest storefront! Thanks Roadfooders, and give Dave a holler about what you find!

ocdreamr

• Total Posts: 1109
    RE: Nicaraguan Restaurants in the Northeast Sat, 05/8/04 9:53 PM (permalink)
    Unfortunately around here (Maryland) when people see a Latino they assume Mexican. Some of our better "Mexican" restaurants are really owned by the Nicaraguans. I usually check out the menus looking for dishes slipped in as specials.

rigoleto

• Total Posts: 15
      RE: Nicaraguan Restaurants in the Northeast Sun, 07/11/04 5:57 AM (permalink)
      I lived in Mexico City and in Managua. Lemme tell ya, there's no such thing as "Nicaraguan food". From the Rio Grande to the Panama Canal, it's all Mexican food by any other name!

Hiram Callahan

• Total Posts: 116
        RE: Nicaraguan Restaurants in the Northeast Thu, 07/15/04 5:22 PM (permalink)
        My recollection is that on Anderson Avenue (might be Palisade) in either Cliffside Park or Fairview, NJ (Southeastern Bergen County) there is at least one Salvadoran restaurant, which I would have to guess would be pretty close. That part of Bergen and nearby Hudson Counties has a large and diverse Latino population.

daveritzdog

• Total Posts: 44
          RE: Nicaraguan Restaurants in the Northeast Thu, 07/15/04 5:47 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by rigoleto

I lived in Mexico City and in Managua. Lemme tell ya, there's no such thing as "Nicaraguan food". From the Rio Grande to the Panama Canal, it's all Mexican food by any other name!
          Sorry, my friend but Nicaraguan food in Miami is so very distinctive from the Mexican food we have here in the United States! The tropical location gives the food a unique flavor, and the Nicaraguan exile community in Miami has carried their love of grilled, marinated Beef, fried plantains, and gallo pinto to our shores! The spices and flavors are closer to the foods of Argentina and Brazil, than that of Mexico! Many people falsely assume that all Latino foods are the same, but those who have sampled the wares from these lands know the differences. The Mexican food here in NYC is pretty bad and uninspired, and could never replace the great Nicaraguan food I used to enjoy in Florida!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message
            • Post New Thread
            • Reply to message
            • Post New Poll
            • Submit Vote
            • Post reward post
            • Delete my own posts
            • Delete my own threads
            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com