The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

 Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 40 of 40
Author Message
zussers

  • Total Posts: 232
  • Joined: 9/6/2003
  • Location: knoxville, TN
RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary Sat, 05/15/04 1:33 PM (permalink)
I would go to anyplace that served great mac n cheese! I practically do eat it everyday! I just haven't found anyplace in Knoxville that fit the bill!
 
#31
    Vince Macek

    • Total Posts: 855
    • Joined: 7/15/2003
    • Location: Decatur, GA
    RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary Sat, 05/15/04 5:52 PM (permalink)
    I generally have a good sense of restraint, but good pizza is something I would scarf down doglike as long as the supply held out - I could see this scenario at a local Mellow Mushroom.

    About 15 years ago I was doing strenuous work walking distance from Decon Burton's soul food restaurant. I ate lunch there often enough to wonder what the repercussions of a steady diet of fried chicken, greens, griddle cakes and peach cobbler would be - I reckoned a premature death, but a happy one. (But then, the Deacon himself lived and worked the place well into his 90s - he was clearly on to something!)
     
    #32
      the ancient mariner

      • Total Posts: 3987
      • Joined: 4/6/2004
      • Location: st petersburg, florida
      RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary Sun, 05/16/04 2:57 PM (permalink)
      Just after the Japanese Surrender we went into Sasabo Japan. The first ship in with meat had only beef tongue. We had beef tongue 3 meals a day for over 2 weeks. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Count me out on beef tongue.
       
      #33
        Ort. Carlton.

        • Total Posts: 3589
        • Joined: 4/9/2003
        • Location: Athens, GA
        RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary Sun, 05/16/04 5:58 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by Vince Macek

        I generally have a good sense of restraint, but good pizza is something I would scarf down doglike as long as the supply held out - I could see this scenario at a local Mellow Mushroom.

        About 15 years ago I was doing strenuous work walking distance from Decon Burton's soul food restaurant. I ate lunch there often enough to wonder what the repercussions of a steady diet of fried chicken, greens, griddle cakes and peach cobbler would be - I reckoned a premature death, but a happy one. (But then, the Deacon himself lived and worked the place well into his 90s - he was clearly on to something!)


        Vince,
        Let's hear it for Deacon Burton's!!!!!
        Son's, right around the corner from the old Burton's location on Decatur Street, is supposed to be a-l-m-o-s-t as good (as a friend of mine wrote it to me).
        You're making me miss Atlanta: so near, but sometimes so far away.
        Salivating Pavlovianly, Ort. Carlton in Thunderboomy Athens, Georgia.
        P. S. The Deacon also repaired tv's. He was one of the last people in Atlanta that knew how to install and maintain rooftop television antennas. Someone I know bought a house in S/W Atlanta that had the original rooftop antenna still in place, but it hadn't been used in 30 years. Deacon Burton came out, went up on the roof, and straightened it up in 30 minutes. My friend can now get Columbus, Macon, and Warm Springs on tv... and Alabama Public Television! Deacon Burton's legacy lives on on a rooftop on Sylvan Road, S/W!
         
        #34
          Ort. Carlton.

          • Total Posts: 3589
          • Joined: 4/9/2003
          • Location: Athens, GA
          RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary Sun, 05/16/04 6:10 PM (permalink)
          Dearfolk,
          I'd book a week in the only motel in Batesburg/Leesville, South Carolina - specifying that I wanted a room way in the back next to the railroad track (I live in between two heavily-trafficked rail lines): trains always soothe me when I'm asleep.
          Then I'd eat every day at Shealy's (closed Wednesday and Sunday) and at Jackie Hite's (closed Monday), using the off-days to range out and try Trenton BBQ or whatever other places struck my fancy; additionally, the town has several fine and authentic Mexican eateries.
          For breakfast, I'd wander to any of the several local diners. If one of them seemed especially open to the idea, I'd go to Bi-Lo and buy a loaf of Counts' Liver Pudding (from Prosperity, S. C.) and have them fix it up for me, then do the same with one of Harvin's Liver Pudding (from Sumter, S. C.). This is the rice-containing first cousin of livermush.
          Before I attempt such an arduous task, though, I've got to shed 40+ pounds. To paraphrase the William Bell record "Easy Going Out, Hard Going In," I can say "Easy Puttin' On, Hard Takin' Off." (I think Mr. Bell would approve my mangling of his title.)
          Absolutely Dying To Go, Ort. Carlton in Athens-town.
          P. S. My second choice would be a week in Lexington, North Carolina, eating at every one of the town's 21 barbecue restaurants. I'd also take in the ones in nearby Thomasville, Asheboro, Mocksville, Salisbury, Spencer, East Spencer, and a legendary one somewhere out in the middle of the nothingless near Mt. Ulla. (Mt. Ulla is SO small that it makes East Bend, Barber, and Mt. Mourne resemble Times Square!)
           
          #35
            Michael Hoffman

            • Total Posts: 17848
            • Joined: 7/1/2000
            • Location: Gahanna, OH
            RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary Sun, 05/16/04 8:26 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by Grampy

            I've had beef tendon in a Pho noodle shop, but I must confess that I have not had any pig intestines lately. How are they?


            You've never had chitterlings? Consider yourself deprived.
             
            #36
              Grampy

              • Total Posts: 1559
              • Joined: 10/14/2002
              • Location: Greenfield, MA
              RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary Sun, 05/16/04 9:33 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

              quote:
              Originally posted by Grampy

              I've had beef tendon in a Pho noodle shop, but I must confess that I have not had any pig intestines lately. How are they?


              You've never had chitterlings? Consider yourself deprived.


              Actually, I have. In France. Under the guise of andouillettes. But this another story. Suffice it to say that the way I had them, they were like exploding inner tubes from a Tin Lizzy.
               
              #37
                Ort. Carlton.

                • Total Posts: 3589
                • Joined: 4/9/2003
                • Location: Athens, GA
                RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary Mon, 05/17/04 7:51 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by Grampy
                quote:
                Originally posted by Michael Hoffman
                quote:
                Originally posted by Grampy
                I've had beef tendon in a Pho noodle shop, but I must confess that I have not had any pig intestines lately. How are they?
                You've never had chitterlings? Consider yourself deprived.
                Actually, I have. In France. Under the guise of andouillettes. But this another story. Suffice it to say that the way I had them, they were like exploding inner tubes from a Tin Lizzy.


                Grampy,
                Then they weren't cooked right. They had ought to be crunchy if fried and still papatable if boiled... liberal application of pepper vinegar to the boiled and hot sauce to the fried is totally acceptable.
                When I find a place that cooks them halfway decently, I'll report in... as a public service.
                Chewing The Fat, Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.
                 
                #38
                  Rhodes

                  • Total Posts: 281
                  • Joined: 12/19/2003
                  • Location: Dickerson, MD
                  RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary Mon, 05/17/04 8:49 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by Rhodes

                  I must also confess that I have never tried Joe's pig intestines. I'll let you know when I do, but it may be a while


                  I thought of another answer, which is I will try some of them when you order them when we go to Joe's Grampy, but I don't think I'm brave enough yet to get a whole order for myself
                   
                  #39
                    Grampy

                    • Total Posts: 1559
                    • Joined: 10/14/2002
                    • Location: Greenfield, MA
                    RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary Tue, 05/18/04 9:47 AM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Rhodes

                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Rhodes

                    I must also confess that I have never tried Joe's pig intestines. I'll let you know when I do, but it may be a while


                    I thought of another answer, which is I will try some of them when you order them when we go to Joe's Grampy, but I don't think I'm brave enough yet to get a whole order for myself


                    Invitation accepted. Intestines all-around!
                     
                    #40
                      Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                      Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 40 of 40

                      Jump to:

                      Current active users

                      There are 0 members and 2 guests.

                      Icon Legend and Permission

                      • New Messages
                      • No New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                      • Read Message
                      • Post New Thread
                      • Reply to message
                      • Post New Poll
                      • Submit Vote
                      • Post reward post
                      • Delete my own posts
                      • Delete my own threads
                      • Rate post

                      2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com