The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Keansburg NJ Dining

Craig328

• Total Posts: 89
Keansburg NJ Dining Sat, 05/15/04 6:08 PM (permalink)
My wife and I are back in Jersey for a week from our home in Palm Beach, FL. First stop was Keansburg Amusement Park for Ole'Heidelburg Hot Dogs. Wasn't disappointed in the least as they taste the same as thirty years ago when I had them as a teenager. Next was the Potato Bar for fresh cut fries, admittedly they weren't as good as I remember even with the malt vinegar. Seemed soggy and not at all flavorful. Finally was up to Beer Garden for Sausage, Peppers and Onions; just as I remember but the price was shocking; seven-fifty for a small sandwich! We concluded with freshly made waffles and Ice Cream sandwiches, no disappointment there bought me back immediately to my childhood. Keansburg is still a great value overall; food in my opinion is better than Pt. Pleasant or Seaside on the Jersey Shore. If you haven't visited your missing out!

Tomorrow we're headed to Pt. Pleasant Boardwalk where my family owned and operated a restaurant from the 70's till early 90's to see the changes. Bet, I better bring allot of money; prices are insane. For dinner we're going to Bahr's in the Atlantic Highlands where I proposed to my wife in '91. May even make it to Senic Road; was a favorite make out spot as a High Schooler; many fond memories.
Will report all.

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
    RE: Keansburg NJ Dining Sun, 05/16/04 9:06 AM (permalink)
    I'm glad to hear that the Ole Heidelburg is alive and well. I was there a few years ago and liked the dogs. They are all beef Haydu brand dogs that are cooked on a griddle with a lot of oil. About a year ago, someone posted that the Boardwalk at Keansburg closed down! Glad to hear that it's still there. Maybe I'll make a trip to the Heidelburg and Potato Bar today.

hilldweller

• Total Posts: 168
      RE: Keansburg NJ Dining Sun, 05/16/04 6:42 PM (permalink)
      Yesterday on the Food Network there was an episode of Foodnation at the Jersey Shore. They were mostly on the Point Pleasant boardwalk but they also visited two Highlands restaurants, Bahrs; and Doris and Ed's and a Hammonton, NJ bluberry farm.
      [url='http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_bf/episode/0,1976,FOOD_9950_32358,00.html']Food Nation: Jersey Shore[/url]

quote:
      Jersey Shore
      Join Chef Bobby Flay for a tour of some of his favorite seaside eateries at the Jersey Shore. Plus, Bobby visits with his mom, Dorothy for a walk on the Point Pleasant Beach Board walk.

Craig328

RE: Keansburg NJ Dining Sun, 05/16/04 7:28 PM (permalink)

Craig328

RE: Keansburg NJ Dining Sun, 05/16/04 7:41 PM (permalink)
          Saw Food Nation with Bobby Flay I guess a week ago when it was originally broadcast. Can't believe Bobby left out so much of the Boardwalk foods. Did recognize the inside of Martells with the shellfish and Kohrs Ice Cream. I spent one summer while working for my folks across the boardwalk; also worked at Martells in the evenings to make money for college. Funny Bobby mentioned the U12 shrimp. At the time we used U8's that I used to make scampi out of for my work meal; I was head chef in the evenings. Loved the whole lobster tail sandwiches on a toasted hot dog bun with lemon garlic butter; not on the menu. Think I ate four during one shift. Never figured how they made a profit. Sidenote; did visit Pt. Pleasant Boardwalk today; will give a full description later.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message
            • Post New Thread
            • Reply to message
            • Post New Poll
            • Submit Vote
            • Post reward post
            • Delete my own posts
            • Delete my own threads
            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com