The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

World Championship Barbecue

Ashley Wilkes

• Total Posts: 80
World Championship Barbecue Mon, 05/17/04 1:28 PM (permalink)
The 2004 World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest, “the Super Bowl of Swine,” was held in Memphis, TN on May 13-15. The winner of this year’s Grand Championship:

Jack's Old South --- Vienna, Georgia

Jack’s also placed first in the whole hog division. I think Jack's Old South BBQ has been open about three years and is just off I-75. According to the Macon Telegraph, the owner Myron Mixon is going to use the $22,000 winnings and open another Jack’s Old South in Cordele on July 1. Cordele can definitely use a new BBQ joint, as it’s right on the Interstate.

Mixon said he uses Georgia peach wood to cook his barbecue. I quite frankly didn’t realize that Jack’s was even considered among the best in Georgia. I ate there once and thought the meat was pretty good, but the Brunswick stew and other sides were in definite need of improvement.

KPJ

• Total Posts: 2
    RE: World Championship Barbecue Tue, 06/15/04 9:32 PM (permalink)
    It is funny that you didn't realize that Jack's was considered among the best in Georgia when he has won two World Championships, 5 National Championships, 13 State Titles, and over 800 other award since 1996. That alone is an accomplishment and must mean he is doing something right.

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
      RE: World Championship Barbecue Tue, 06/15/04 9:47 PM (permalink)
      actually some of the best q i ever ate was cooked by fooks that just cook it to eat and sell and have been for many many yrs and never once entered a cook off---they DO cook alot of right tasty meat---400 lbs at a time---but NOT on thier days off.--thats when they EAT it!!!!

Ashley Wilkes

• Total Posts: 80
        RE: World Championship Barbecue Wed, 06/16/04 12:21 AM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by KPJ

It is funny that you didn't realize that Jack's was considered among the best in Georgia when he has won two World Championships, 5 National Championships, 13 State Titles, and over 800 other award since 1996. That alone is an accomplishment and must mean he is doing something right.

I agree Jack’s championships and accomplishments are impressive.

However, I have never heard any food writer (or anybody else for that matter) mention Jack’s as one of the best BBQ joints in Georgia.

And coincidentally, I just drove through Vienna on Tuesday and drove by Jack’s to see how busy it was. Only two or three cars. Maybe it was closed, but I drove by at noon. I was having lunch in Americus, so I didn’t stop to see if it was open. It appeared to be open, just not very busy.

In any event, when the new Jack’s opens in Cordele, I’ll give it another try. Also, I’m interested the opinions of others who have eaten at Jack’s?

Tom-Fl

• Total Posts: 74
          RE: World Championship Barbecue Wed, 06/16/04 9:14 AM (permalink)
          Myron's momma and the family are real nice ,friendly folks.

Tom

Stogie

• Total Posts: 128
            RE: World Championship Barbecue Thu, 06/17/04 10:11 AM (permalink)
            Trying to replicate Championship Q in a restaurant setting is near impossible!

I have actually cooked with Myron several years ago and my personal mentor, Buster with Boggy Pond, learned most of his cooking technique from Myron.

During comps, you can afford the time to sit and "baby" your meats. This is just not possible when trying to serve the masses.

So, I am not the least bit surprised to learn that Myron's joint may not have the best Q around. I can't imagine Myron spends any time at his restaurant as he competes almost every single weekend. That means setting up as early as Wed. or Thurs. and cooking through Saturday and loading/driving on Sun. Not much time to spend at the biz.

Anyway, he is indeed a great cooker, it's just, that does not always translate to a great restrateur.

Stogie

riblet

• Total Posts: 11
              RE: World Championship Barbecue Mon, 06/21/04 7:31 PM (permalink)
              Excellent comment on running a restaurant and hitting the Q circuit. Kind of hard to concentrate on quality control when you're galavanting all over the south. We ate at Jack's in Vienna a couple a months ago. Nothing but trophies inside. The chopped pork was very good, smokey but maybe chopped too fine for my liking but had a hint of Eastern N.C. sauce, maybe to keep it moist. Table sauce was a thin tomato base concoction, not bad. According to Myron's son, they only serve ribs on Friday. Saw his rolling smoker behind the restaurant or at least one of them. Beans had apple in them and were real sweet. Try the apple pie and ice cream, seems to be made fresh.
              One of our tests of road Que is would we bother to come back. Well, yes we would. Preferably on a Friday to sample the ribs we missed out on.

BigMan

• Total Posts: 5
                RE: World Championship Barbecue Sat, 01/1/05 4:20 AM (permalink)
                See My Post on "Jack's Old South" Dated Dec 31, 2004[:(
                quote:
                Originally posted by Ashley Wilkes

The 2004 World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest, “the Super Bowl of Swine,” was held in Memphis, TN on May 13-15. The winner of this year’s Grand Championship:

Jack's Old South --- Vienna, Georgia

Jack’s also placed first in the whole hog division. I think Jack's Old South BBQ has been open about three years and is just off I-75. According to the Macon Telegraph, the owner Myron Mixon is going to use the $22,000 winnings and open another Jack’s Old South in Cordele on July 1. Cordele can definitely use a new BBQ joint, as it’s right on the Interstate.

Mixon said he uses Georgia peach wood to cook his barbecue. I quite frankly didn’t realize that Jack’s was even considered among the best in Georgia. I ate there once and thought the meat was pretty good, but the Brunswick stew and other sides were in definite need of improvement.

BigMan

• Total Posts: 5
                  RE: World Championship Barbecue Tue, 01/4/05 6:30 PM (permalink)
                  No doubt he may be a BBQ Champion, but his restaurant in Vienna (Jack's Old South) sure isn't championship BBQ. If I were him, I would think twice about associating my good name with that place. That sign out on I-75 borders on false advertisement, "World Championship BBQ"....that is a huge misstatement. He should be ashamed of misleading people like that. (speaking from first hand experience)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by KPJ

Raine

• Total Posts: 196
                    RE: World Championship Barbecue Wed, 04/6/05 4:17 PM (permalink)
                    riblet, he puts peaches in his beans.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                      • No New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                      • Read Message
                      • Post New Thread
                      • Reply to message
                      • Post New Poll
                      • Submit Vote
                      • Post reward post
                      • Delete my own posts
                      • Delete my own threads
                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com