The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Pappadeux-What's the big deal?

stormycat

• Total Posts: 102
Pappadeux-What's the big deal? Fri, 05/21/04 12:28 PM (permalink)
I ate at this place the other night after having it reccommended to me by many people. I don't get it. To start things off the beer list said they had Dixie beer but when I ordered it our server indicated that the restaurant chain no longer carried it. It gets worse. The crawfish bisque everybody raved about was lame. Before ordering I asked the waitress if there was corn in the bisque and she looked at me like I was nuts and responded with a firm "NO!" The "New Orleans Style BBQ Shrimp" was way too salty and waaaaay too heavy on the Wostershire (sp?) sauce. The boudin was pale in color and even more pail in flavor...and I don't think that the boudin or the dirty rice contained any organ meats either! Hardly worth the $80 bucks spent on dinner and drinks for two.

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
    RE: Pappadeux-What's the big deal? Fri, 05/21/04 6:08 PM (permalink)
    That's it stormycat, the ONLY place is Ron's!! I was just in Hannibal Mo. where I was rec'd to go to Bubbas for fantastic cajun/que, etc. I had gumbo as a side to my pulled pork, thin, watery beefy broth taste, very thin shaved slices of sausage and a non identifiable vegetable. My SO asked about the gumbo and all I could say was, "Ron doesn't have to worry". I haven't tried Pappadeux but had gone to the now defunct cajun place that was on the SW corner of Algonquin and Golf....I think road work in the area did them in because the food was ok. Heaven on Seven is pretty good as an alternate to Ron's Cajun Connection but the menu can take on items that are definetly not cajun/creole. They serve a pretty good gumbo though!

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
      RE: Pappadeux-What's the big deal? Mon, 05/24/04 3:36 PM (permalink)
      What Pappdeux's were you at? The one we frequent here in Houston (Kirby) is always great.

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
        RE: Pappadeux-What's the big deal? Tue, 05/25/04 10:57 AM (permalink)
        This is the one in Arlington Heights, Il. on Algonquin Road.....well I think it's AH, that part of the northwest Chicago 'burbs all blend together.

rbpalmer

• Total Posts: 469
          RE: Pappadeux-What's the big deal? Tue, 05/25/04 2:00 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by Lone Star

What Pappdeux's were you at? The one we frequent here in Houston (Kirby) is always great.

As is the one in Albuquerque, NM, although I must note that I haven't tried any of the dishes there that stormycat found so disappointing.

Atlanta_Tider

• Total Posts: 28
            RE: Pappadeux-What's the big deal? Sun, 05/30/04 12:10 AM (permalink)
            I frequent the one in Marietta,Ga about once a month for lunch meetings, nothing too special about it to me.

Luvstoeat

• Total Posts: 88
              RE: Pappadeux-What's the big deal? Fri, 07/23/04 4:31 PM (permalink)
              We were at the Pappadeux in Arlington Heights about a year ago. Perhaps the least distinguished seafood/fish meal we had ever had. So-so service and exagerated prices served to complete a dining experience I hope not to repeat....

elmerfudd

• Total Posts: 3
                RE: Pappadeux-What's the big deal? Sat, 07/24/04 4:50 PM (permalink)
                I used to live in the Dallas area where there were two of them. They were both full, usually with a waiting list all the time. I never understood it either. I guess its only a big deal to people that can't get "proper" New Orleans style food. If you ever get to the Shreveport, LA are try a restaurant named Ernest's Orleans, its excellent!

Mik1005

• Total Posts: 9
                  RE: Pappadeux-What's the big deal? Sat, 07/24/04 5:36 PM (permalink)
                  What is Orleans about Ernest's in Shreveport?

Milt

• Total Posts: 354
                    RE: Pappadeux-What's the big deal? Tue, 07/27/04 1:47 PM (permalink)
                    We have eaten at the Marietta/Smyrna location of Pappadeux's a few times and have found the food to be of decent quality, but vasty overpriced. Couple that with a long wait, and we started looking for better alternatives. Gumbeaux's in downtown Douglasville is the best Cajun food in the Atlanta area, in my opinion.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                      • No New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                      • Read Message
                      • Post New Thread
                      • Reply to message
                      • Post New Poll
                      • Submit Vote
                      • Post reward post
                      • Delete my own posts
                      • Delete my own threads
                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com