The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

2 Louisiana Updates

bsbk

• Total Posts: 5
2 Louisiana Updates Fri, 05/28/04 4:42 PM (permalink)
These may or may not have been posted previously....Spahr's Seafood in Des Allemanes, LA has either burned down or was torn down, and the Bon Ton Cafe in New Orleans is DEFINITELY not what I'd call a $ place. We went there a few days ago while in New Orleans after deciding not to eat at NOLA or any other tourist restaurant where lunches are $15-20 per entree. It's in the main business district and is a bit tricky in the parking department, but at least it's not touristy. The ambiance is actually quite pleasant, and though we had sticker shock (soups $6-7, entrees $13 to $20, which seems like a lot to me for lunch), the food was LUSCIOUS. Bill had turtle soup (they bring a cruet of sherry with it), and a special that was 1/2 and 1/2 shrimp and crawfish etoufee. I had the crawfish bisque, which at $13.50 was one of the cheapest entrees. It was a generous bowl of dark, rich bisque with a scoop of rice and 4 stuffed crawfish heads in it (plus maybe 20 little tails like small shrimp). It's a bit messy to eat as you fish the heads out and scoop the spicy stuffing out and replace them back into the bisque (per the waitress), but it was DIVINE. Also had a really good meal at Jacques-Imo's there---very long wait, but very good food. Enjoy!

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
    RE: 2 Louisiana Updates Fri, 05/28/04 5:00 PM (permalink)
    bsbk,
    Spahr's Pleasure Ponds in Des Allemands is on OLD U. S. 90! The highway has been rerouted: you didn't pass it by; it's not there! Go back and look again along the old road; I think the place is still open. Let us know if it isn't.
    Fortunately, U. S. 90 still goes right by the front door of Mosca's, located in lovely downtown Waggaman, Louisiana - and they are indeed more or less IT... home of the best New Orleans Italian eating on this earth.
    Y'all should ought to have gone to Mother's or Mandich's or Uglesich's or Mandina Bros. or two or three more have-to-hunt-'ems I could name in a pinch... one time-warpy place on Monroe Avenue in Gretna that is still well-thought-of by locals and unknown to out-of-towners... I forget the name. Alas.
    Unencyclopaedically, Ort. Carlton in the U. Ga. Library in Athens, which helps sometimes.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
      • No New Messages
      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
      • Locked w/ New Messages
      • Locked w/o New Messages
      • Read Message
      • Post New Thread
      • Reply to message
      • Post New Poll
      • Submit Vote
      • Post reward post
      • Delete my own posts
      • Delete my own threads
      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com