The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Low Carb Coke Taste Test

Route 11

• Total Posts: 752
Low Carb Coke Taste Test Fri, 06/4/04 9:20 AM (permalink)
Coke sent a case over to my office yesterday for a big taste test.

Survey Says:

Better than regular Diet Coke
Not better than classic Coke.

It was a little flatter, with a slight "diet" aftertaste.

Being a soda freak, I'll probably buy it. It was much better than Vanilla Coke, which makes me want to .

Pwingsx

• Total Posts: 2170
    RE: Low Carb Coke Taste Test Fri, 06/4/04 11:39 PM (permalink)
    Why did they send it to you? Have I missed something we should know about you?

So it tasted like flatter Classic coke or flatter diet Coke? I loathe diet Coke, but I might be able to adjust to it if it's similar to classic.

Route 11

• Total Posts: 752
      RE: Low Carb Coke Taste Test Sat, 06/5/04 11:16 AM (permalink)
      They sent it to the TV station, probably trying to get us to do a story about it (no luck).

It tastes like less fizz...more like RC. I hate diet Coke, too. THis stuff isn't, better than diet.

Pwingsx

• Total Posts: 2170
        RE: Low Carb Coke Taste Test Sat, 06/5/04 3:13 PM (permalink)
        What do they sweeten it with?

I tried to like diet RC, as it's sweetened with Splenda rather than aspartame, but damn, it's not very good either.

The only diet soda I've ever tasted that was truly comparable to it's sugar-laden counterpart was Diet Dr Pepper.

shanklemsw

• Total Posts: 169
          RE: Low Carb Coke Taste Test Sat, 06/5/04 9:55 PM (permalink)
          EEEK

Lucky Bishop

• Total Posts: 1049
            RE: Low Carb Coke Taste Test Sun, 06/13/04 1:28 AM (permalink)
            Had my first today, but only because my editor wants me to write about it.

Verdict: tastes like regular Coke mixed 50/50 with Diet Coke.

Implications of verdict: I like regular Coke. For that matter, I like Diet Coke. But that doesn't mean I want to mix them.

Sidebar: People make this mistake all the damn time. Last week, my neighborhood pizzeria accidentally sent us one of their buffalo chicken pizzas instead of the veggie pizza we'd ordered. Out of curiosity, I tried a slice while we waited for our replacement pie. Once again: Love buffalo wings. Love pizza. Buffalo wing pizza is downright nasty. It's beyond nasty. It's narsty.

Upshot: You want to drink a Coke that has half the calories of a regular 12-oz Coke? They sell these 6-ounce pony cans nowadays. Drink one of those.

garykg6

• Total Posts: 358
              RE: Low Carb Coke Taste Test Sun, 06/13/04 9:44 AM (permalink)
              aaarrrggggrrrrrr.......haven't we gone down this road before with 'new' coke?, nobody's health ever went into a tailspin due to drinking good ole' coke.....period! It is one of the few constants in my life of quiet desperation, it is the balm that soothes my tortured brow and any attempt at changing Coke(again) meets with maximum disapproval........I need one now,perhaps to be joined by a Thomas' english muffin(another constant beyond comparison),slathered with butter and Cross and Blackwell orange marmalade(another one!!).....perhaps two of em'

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
                RE: Low Carb Coke Taste Test Mon, 06/14/04 9:19 AM (permalink)
                Give 'em hell Gary, and while we're at it let's go get some real Krispy Kreme donuts, and some fries made in lard, with a double cheeseburger. We want the real stuff.

garykg6

• Total Posts: 358
                  RE: Low Carb Coke Taste Test Mon, 06/14/04 10:12 AM (permalink)
                  'oneiron399' knows the real deal, as John belushi said in 'Animal House'...."when the going gets tough,er,er,lets party with some screamin' yellow zonkers and a few heavy(not light) brewski's"...or something like that

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4486
                    RE: Low Carb Coke Taste Test Mon, 06/14/04 11:35 AM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by garykg6

aaarrrggggrrrrrr.......haven't we gone down this road before with 'new' coke?
                    No, not really...

See, with new Coke, the 'old' Coke was supposed to go away. And for a short time, it did, which was a very very very bad thing.

In this situation, all they are doing is offerring another alternative, one that some carb-counters will find appealing. It isn't replacing Classic Coke.

There's your difference.

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4486
                      RE: Low Carb Coke Taste Test Mon, 06/14/04 11:37 AM (permalink)
                      I'll add that I tried the "half the sugar, half the carb" Pepsi at a sampling counter at the local Meijer's supermarket, and it wasn't bad at all.

Kinda liked it, about the same as I like Pepsi, which I don't turn my nose up at but don't prefer as a drink either.

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
                        RE: Low Carb Coke Taste Test Mon, 06/14/04 11:43 AM (permalink)
                        I too tried the new Coke on Friday, there were Coke reps on campus. I thought is was very good as long as it was COLD. Once it started getting to room temp you could taste the "diet" flavor. I prefer Pepsi, haven't seen the "new" Pepsi product here yet.

joanie41

• Total Posts: 401
                          RE: Low Carb Coke Taste Test Mon, 06/14/04 12:06 PM (permalink)
                          Ummmm...what's the point of this drink? Is it non-caloric like diet Coke et al, or is it supposed to be like regular Coke with no carbs? I mean, diet Coke has no carbs, either. I like diet Coke (my caffeinated drink of choice) so I can't imagine wanting this new product. But I'll reserve judgement for now!

hatteras04

• Total Posts: 1070
                            RE: Low Carb Coke Taste Test Mon, 06/14/04 1:49 PM (permalink)
                            It still has quite a few carbs in it. A 12 ounce can has 18 grams of carbs. From my understanding, it is sweetened with half sugar and half nutrasweet. So the calories and sugar are cut in half. So if you are doing like a strict Atkins diet, it still wouldn't be acceptable. I had one yesterday and I agree with the poster above who said it is ok as long as it is cold. Once it got a little warm, I really didn't like it as much as either regular or diet coke. The only people who I could see switching are those that currently drink regular coke, want to cut some sugar out of their diet and really can't stand the taste of diet coke. Myself, I love the new Diet Coke with Lime. It is the best new drink to come out in years in my opinion. Much better than the lemon version.

joanie41

• Total Posts: 401
                              RE: Low Carb Coke Taste Test Mon, 06/14/04 4:12 PM (permalink)
                              I agree with your comment about Diet Coke w/Lime. It really tastes good.

As for the 1/2 sugar, 1/2 artificial sweetener, wasn't there a product like that years ago? Can't remember the name. This would have been in the 70s or 80s. And I think it was put out by Coke or Pepsi. Hmmm...now I'm going to go crazy trying to remember the name of it!

ttocsffej

• Total Posts: 1
                                RE: Low Carb Coke Taste Test Mon, 06/14/04 4:58 PM (permalink)
                                I had the same idea for "Coke Light" years ago...I've been mixing them ever since. Now they're doing it for me. Why do I like it? When cold, it is hard to distinguish from regular Coke...and half the sugar/calories.

But better yet, give me an icy cold 6 1/2 glass bottle regular coke with that higher carbonation pressure!

Stephen Rushmore Jr.

RE: Low Carb Coke Taste Test Mon, 06/14/04 5:02 PM (permalink)
                                  I always wonder why they just don't make soda with a half the sugar? Forget the artificial sweetner stuff - you can cut calories, carbs etc. by just making it less sweet.

Lucky Bishop

• Total Posts: 1049
                                    RE: Low Carb Coke Taste Test Mon, 06/14/04 5:18 PM (permalink)
                                    I've wondered that myself. I know I'd be more likely to drink Pepsi if it didn't taste like a diabetic hummingbird's morning urine.

john c

• Total Posts: 30
                                      RE: Low Carb Coke Taste Test Tue, 06/15/04 12:57 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by Stephen Rushmore Jr.

I always wonder why they just don't make soda with a half the sugar? Forget the artificial sweetner stuff - you can cut calories, carbs etc. by just making it less sweet.

AMEN!

For my money, sadly, Pepsi Edge (thier new lower carb lower sugar brand) tastes better than C2. Could be because C2 has aspartame, while PE does not. Both contain sucralose.

Seems like Coke has missed the boat on C2 as well as on Vanilla Coke (I like Vanilla Pepsi better). Being a Coke booster (hometown, ya know), this is quite depressing to me.

Lunza

• Total Posts: 59
                                        RE: Low Carb Coke Taste Test Sat, 06/19/04 6:08 PM (permalink)
                                        I'm strange, maybe, but if I have a choice between two variants of the same dish or beverage, and the difference is how sweet it is, I will almost always pick the less-sweet version. I don't like baklava because it's always too sweet. I like the low-carb Coke better than the regular version, and I think that's why.

thankgoddess

• Total Posts: 1
                                          RE: Low Carb Coke Taste Test Mon, 06/21/04 1:00 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by Stephen Rushmore Jr.

THANK YOU!! If I wanted to drink artificial sweetners WITHOUT ANY CALORIES, I'd drink diet. Low carb hype! What a bunch of nonsense! They should just make it with less sugar. DUH!

ChiliDog

• Total Posts: 126
                                            RE: Low Carb Coke Taste Test Tue, 06/29/04 5:59 PM (permalink)
                                            Oops they did it again! C2 (and Edge) has half the calories and carbs where as Diet Coke (and Diet Pepsi) has none of either. ZERO! So if you're going to scrafice taste, why bother goin half way? Something tells me it won't be around long. Coke could have saved themselves a whole lot of money, in devlopement and manufacturing, and just advertised Diet Coke as "Atkins Freindly". But that's just my opinion.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                              • No New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                              • Read Message
                                              • Post New Thread
                                              • Reply to message
                                              • Post New Poll
                                              • Submit Vote
                                              • Post reward post
                                              • Delete my own posts
                                              • Delete my own threads
                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com