Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Truck Stops

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
  • Roadfood Insider
Truck Stops Thu, 04/17/03 10:02 AM (permalink)
We have stumbled into and been led to by the Stern's, some very interesting food at large truck stops across the country. I posted a description of one under the Chicken fried steak thread down the list somewhere.
Anyway, one of the best roadfood-Mainstream of America- stops we have visited has been the Dixie Truck Stop in McLean, IL. At the junction of I-55/US66 and US 136. It was in the original edition of Roadfood in the 70's and has maintained it's role even as the surrounding countryside has turned 'modern'. If you are headed up or down I-55, I recommend that you check out this icon to a bygone era.
Several companies have developed chains of stops that cater (no pun) to the trucker's, but there are lots of independent's also. I like the Petro Brother's at Corning CA on the I-5. Good food, easy access and a short run up or down the 99 beside the freeway will get you tons of olives fresh-smoked-pickled etc from stands along the road in Northern CA's olive country.
Have you had any good experiences with the common truck stop?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com