The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Old fashioned Candy and/or Chocolate Store?

shell

• Total Posts: 24
Old fashioned Candy and/or Chocolate Store? Fri, 06/4/04 5:57 PM (permalink)
Where's your favorite Candy Store? I'm fortunate enough to live near Issaquah, WA, home of Boehm's Chocolates! For Chocolate Lovers; when you visit and before you step into the door, be ready to take a deep whiff as you enter. You'll have gained calories just from the smell! ;)

They started back in the 40's and the factory is Bavarian-styled and use swiss chocolate for their candies. They still hand dip the truffles and can watch the ladies working through a window. And you can buy bulk chocolates at a discount. They may not look as pretty but they still taste wonderful! They also have tours through the factory during non-holiday times. There's also a chapel on the grounds that's popular of weddings.

Quick story; when we were young, my father would stop to get "fat pills" for Grandma. And my brother and I would be outside petting the animals. The Owner, who since has died would let us come into his house, above the store to see the art work he had collected over the years. (Now it's open to the public and unfortunately the animals are gone.) BTW, Mr. Boehm had also climbed Mt Rainier at age 86, the oldest at the time(in the 1980's I think), I don't know if he still holds that record or not.

So where is your favorite place?

CheeseWit

• Total Posts: 1393
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: Old fashioned Candy and/or Chocolate Store? Fri, 06/4/04 6:15 PM (permalink)
    Shane's Candy on Market Street between Front and 2nd in Philadelphia is the oldest continuously run candy shop in America. It dates back to the Civil War era. They have wonderful buttercreams. I love the original glass cases, the original brass cash register, and the pressed tin ceiling.

Lucky Bishop

• Total Posts: 1049
      RE: Old fashioned Candy and/or Chocolate Store? Fri, 06/4/04 11:47 PM (permalink)
      I know it's a chain, but it's impossible for me not to stop in any See's that I come across.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15059
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: Old fashioned Candy and/or Chocolate Store? Sat, 06/5/04 5:13 AM (permalink)
        We have included a stop at Russell Stover's here in Indiana (Brownstown) and one in Colorado on trips. The candy is ALMOST See's quality, and the 'outlet' stores have seconds and overruns at very reasonable prices.

MikoEats

• Total Posts: 57
          RE: Old fashioned Candy and/or Chocolate Store? Mon, 06/7/04 12:28 AM (permalink)
          I'm a fan of Ben & Bill's Chocolate Emporium. It's a small New England chain; I believe it's only four stores -- Bar Harbor, ME, Falmouth, MA, Oak Bluffs, MA, and Northampton, MA.

What's neat about Ben & Bill's is that even though the stores are brand new, they all look like turn-of-the-centory chocolate shops. Jars and trays are displayed on shelves reaching up to the ceiling. Black-and-white hand-painted signs display the flavors and prices. And that heavenly chocolate smell that makes even the air taste good is everywhere. Their ice cream is amazing as well.

I can't recommend them highly enough.

tsores

• Total Posts: 653
            RE: Old fashioned Candy and/or Chocolate Store? Mon, 06/7/04 8:33 AM (permalink)
            Fannie May had a number of stores in the Chicago area until they went bankrupt a few months ago. I hear they are coming back, maybe already have. I hope they are as good as the original ones were. It was, IMHO, the best candy value around.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com