The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Candybar from the 1970's

MrKing.net

• Total Posts: 84
Candybar from the 1970's Wed, 06/9/04 3:33 AM (permalink)
I believe it was called "NO JELLY". It was a peanutbutter type of
candybar. I would like more info if possible.

WHo made it, and what exactly it was called.

anyone know?

daveritzdog

• Total Posts: 44
    RE: Candybar from the 1970's Tue, 06/15/04 5:06 PM (permalink)
    I remember it, and I think it was something like a rectangular "Reese's", 'cause I think I ate one! You got the name right. Some candy exec thought they could compete with a copy of the famous peanut butter cup, I'm guessing. Then, in the Eighties, there was another copy called "PB MAX"! Do either still exist? Give a holler?

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
      RE: Candybar from the 1970's Tue, 06/15/04 8:28 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by MrKing.net

I believe it was called "NO JELLY". It was a peanutbutter type of
      candybar. I would like more info if possible.

WHo made it, and what exactly it was called.

anyone know?

MrKing.net,
      I remember it well. Its actual brand name was "Peanut Butter and NO JELLY," spelled like that. It strikes me that maybe Clark put it out. Glad you reminded us; I haven't seen the thing in probably 20 years... apparently it has gone the way of Black Jack Chewing Gum, Clark's Sour Lemon Gum, and Budwine Soft Drink. Alas.
      I Do Not Call My Baby Candy, Ort. Carlton.
      P. S. I have that 45 ("Candy") by Big Maybelle on a worn Savoy 45. It was a hit in, like, 1955.

MrKing.net

• Total Posts: 84
        RE: Candybar from the 1970's Tue, 06/15/04 8:56 PM (permalink)
        THANKS!

The reason I am wanting to know abou this particular candybar, is that my fatrher brought me home one, the night before he died (I found him the next morning) I rarely ate candybars, but I do remember that this one was one of my favorites. Does anyone have any pics of it or the wrapper or anything?

thanks in Advance!!!

6star

• Total Posts: 4388
          RE: Candybar from the 1970's Tue, 06/15/04 10:04 PM (permalink)
          I couldn't find any picture, but here are three references on the internet about it, one which dates it exactly:

http://www.hometownfavorites.com/shop/btwgb.asp =

All good things must come to an end. Unfortunately, it may have been one of your Hometown Favorites! This list represents products requested by our customers, that we have confirmed are no longer in production. You can stop looking! They are no longer available:

Peter Paul Peanut Butter, No Jelly

http://snacks.cyberpunks.org/peterpaul.html =

A Few Questions about Almond Joy, Mounds & Peter Paul
          with Lisa Flaherty, great-granddaughter of one of Peter Paul's founders

8.) With your great-grandfather being one of the co-founders of the company and your grandfather the Peter Paul President, were you pretty much forced to like the taste of coconut as a kid?

It was either eat coconut or starve.
          No really, there wasn't pressure. Coconut certainly was the defining element of Peter Paul. From the outset, they felt they needed a distinct brand identity, and specialty, and although coconut was it, they still had other non-coconut creations like caramel candy, peanut butter, chcolate mints, cream mints, lollipops, gum, etc.
          When I was small I loved the ones called "No Jellies" (since discontinued) which were a peanut butter and chocolate candy Peter Paul made in the 70s. Coconut wasn't a forced food, but you better believe that on Halloween, my mom ensured that we'd give out nothing but Peter Paul product. (Mounds, Almond Joys, Whistle Pops or Powerhouses.)

http://www.msys.net/cress/refernc/acronym.htm =

No Jelly

In 1972 there was a new peanut-butter flavored candy bar called "No Jelly." As a promotion, the Peter Paul candy company issued a tab that read, "McGovern No Jelly," and a matching one for Nixon.

By the way, Hershey's now owns Peter Paul, even though the plant in Naugatuck, Conneticut, still manufactures Peter Paul products.

Lucky Bishop

• Total Posts: 1049
            RE: Candybar from the 1970's Tue, 06/15/04 10:19 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by daveritzdogThen, in the Eighties, there was another copy called "PB MAX"! Do either still exist? Give a holler?

PB MAX! Now that brings back fond memories! It wasn't really like a Reeses, it was closer to a Peanut Butter Twix. It was peanut butter on a cookie base, but as I recall, it was a LOT of peanut butter, and it had a kind of whipped texture. I ate a lot of those, but I guess I was the only one.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com