The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Blue Plate Cafe

silvrlvr

• Total Posts: 24
Blue Plate Cafe Thu, 04/17/03 2:22 PM (permalink)
My hat's off to the Blue Plate Cafe on the Red Arrow Highway in Union Pier, Mich. A friend and I got started late on a road trip from Ann Arbor last Sunday and arrived at the Blue Plate at 2:05 p.m. to find out that they close at 2:00 p.m. on Sundays. They let us eat anyway. Great pancakes, toast, open faced omelettes, and do not resist the cookies/brownies/fruit breads for takeout at the counter. One thing to know is the Blue Plate takes only cash or personal checks.

Born in OKC

• Total Posts: 428
    RE: Blue Plate Cafe Tue, 07/4/06 10:20 AM (permalink)
    I wonder how many places there are at present named "Blue Plate Cafe?" Maybe roadfood reporters will take the time to comment on the one they visited.

Mine was years after the first post on this subject and some hundreds of miles away, but the Blue Plate Cafe in Memphis TN is a great breakfast place. I'll have to let others comment on lunch and dinner (which may not be available all days or all locations).

I think there are three Blue Plate location in Memphis and we went to the original location on Poplar. This is not far from I-240 if you are driving through. Great waffles, good pancakes and biscuits, eggs actually done pretty much to order, and as well prepared country ham as I've had in a long time.

The dinner menu looked good also, honest southern food.

For history buffs of a certain strain, the Poplar street location is interesting another way. It is in a residence built for the founder of Holiday Inn. Also, its just down the street from Corky's in case you are planning to take BBQ home.

It is also near Dixie Cafe and you don't want to be tempted there under any circumstance.

roadrash

• Total Posts: 231
      RE: Blue Plate Cafe Wed, 07/5/06 6:16 PM (permalink)
      I ate at the one in Memphis a few years back. There's nothing mystical/magical about the restaurant - it's just good southern/soul food. Fresh ingredients, simple but appropriate cooking and presentation, and a darn good meal. Certainly well worth a visit.

SassyGritsAL

• Total Posts: 1089
        RE: Blue Plate Cafe Tue, 07/11/06 11:05 AM (permalink)
        We have a Blue Plate Cafe here in Huntsville, AL, which is famous for their meat and three. It is always packed at lunch, and the food is good and filling. They do make a great break pudding.

SassyGritsAL

• Total Posts: 1089
          RE: Blue Plate Cafe Tue, 07/11/06 11:06 AM (permalink)
          Woops! "bread pudding"

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message
            • Post New Thread
            • Reply to message
            • Post New Poll
            • Submit Vote
            • Post reward post
            • Delete my own posts
            • Delete my own threads
            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com