The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Loveless Cafe in the news

6star

• Total Posts: 4388
Loveless Cafe in the news Tue, 06/15/04 12:27 AM (permalink)

Thief Steals Famed Tennessee Eatery's History

Jun 11, 7:23 am ET

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (Reuters) - When Britain's Princess Anne attended Nashville's annual Steeplechase event in 1998 she wanted to celebrate her horse's victory with some real Southern cooking.
She found the fried chicken, country ham, biscuits and red-eye gravy at the Loveless Cafe, and left behind an autographed picture to hang on the wall alongside signed photos of other celebrities who had dined at the little roadside restaurant since 1951.

Now that picture is gone, stolen along with those of more than 60 other celebrities and even the establishment's "Loveless Cafe" sign.

They disappeared during a remodeling, said owner Tom Morales who discovered the loss earlier this week.

"Someone broke into the locked boxes containing the photos. ... We were absolutely devastated. They are priceless," he said.

From music stars and sports figures to politicians, customers for decades have streamed into Loveless for down-home country fare served on red-checked tablecloths.

Paul McCartney, who dropped in for a meal with guitar great Chet Atklns, sang "Happy Birthday" to a thrilled 16-year-old girl celebrating with her friends. The late Sen. Strom Thurmond made the Loveless a favorite spot. Minnie Pearl was a regular as was fellow country singer Charley Pride, who brought his guitar and sang for the blushing biscuit maker, Annie Mae Martin.

Martha Stewart proclaimed the cafe's breakfast "the best I've ever had."

Morales said he hoped to replace the photos of people still living but would rather have the originals back.

"We promise not to file charges," he said, "and there will be no questions asked. If they want to repent and come forward, maybe we can even offer them free biscuits for life."

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
    RE: Loveless Cafe in the news Tue, 06/15/04 7:14 AM (permalink)
    well if the culprit doesnt come forward like Mr Morales hopes--I'll join the posse!!!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
      • No New Messages
      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
      • Locked w/ New Messages
      • Locked w/o New Messages
      • Read Message
      • Post New Thread
      • Reply to message
      • Post New Poll
      • Submit Vote
      • Post reward post
      • Delete my own posts
      • Delete my own threads
      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com