The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Be Sure To Eat Your Vegetables...

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057

scbuzz

• Total Posts: 844
    RE: Be Sure To Eat Your Vegetables... Tue, 06/15/04 1:05 PM (permalink)
    Hey that's neat !!! So now if I eat my batter-coated FF with ketchup on them, then I will have had two vegetable servings !!!!! WOOT !!! Oh happy day !!!

the ancient mariner

• Total Posts: 3987
      RE: Be Sure To Eat Your Vegetables... Tue, 06/15/04 1:13 PM (permalink)
      The ketchup bit is true. A few years ago the city of NY claimed it as a vegetable acceptable for school lunchs. Then they wondered why kids were flying around the rooms. Also what does a judge know about food value-----Vote for me and I'll OK anything.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17837
        RE: Be Sure To Eat Your Vegetables... Tue, 06/15/04 1:24 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by the ancient mariner

The ketchup bit is true. A few years ago the city of NY claimed it as a vegetable acceptable for school lunchs. Then they wondered why kids were flying around the rooms. Also what does a judge know about food value-----Vote for me and I'll OK anything.

During the Reagan administration the government claimed catsup was a vegetable for the school lunch program.

Michael Hoffman

RE: Be Sure To Eat Your Vegetables... Tue, 06/15/04 1:25 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by scbuzz

Hey that's neat !!! So now if I eat my batter-coated FF with ketchup on them, then I will have had two vegetable servings !!!!! WOOT !!! Oh happy day !!!

Ah, but only the batter-coated french fries would be considered a fresh vegetable.

berndog

• Total Posts: 674
            RE: Be Sure To Eat Your Vegetables... Tue, 06/15/04 2:53 PM (permalink)
            And what about the president (was it Reagan ?) who banished broccoli from the White House ?

Hastyman

• Total Posts: 83
              RE: Be Sure To Eat Your Vegetables... Tue, 06/15/04 3:04 PM (permalink)
              Bush 41 was the anti-broccolist.

Michael Hoffman

RE: Be Sure To Eat Your Vegetables... Tue, 06/15/04 3:18 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by Hastyman

Bush 41 was the anti-broccolist.

He sure was. And I used his decree to banish the stuff from my house for about two years.

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                  RE: Be Sure To Eat Your Vegetables... Tue, 06/15/04 9:28 PM (permalink)
                  "But the department said Tuesday that the classification applies only to rules of commerce, not nutrition, and it doesn't consider an order of fries the same as an apple in school lunches. "

so that means that its a vegetable on the account books but just another nasty old carb on the plate

michaelgemmell

• Total Posts: 673
                    RE: Be Sure To Eat Your Vegetables... Wed, 06/16/04 5:17 PM (permalink)
                    Not wanting to offend anyone, please allow me to point out that it was Reagan Administration appointees who claimed ketchup was a vegetable trying to justify lowering federal support for school lunch programs, not "the government." WE, all Americans, WE are the government. It WAS Reagan who promoted the idea that everything wrong in America should be blamed on "the government." Oklahomans have seen the result of that policy.

Give me broccoli over ketchup any day.

Cakes

• Total Posts: 562
                      RE: Be Sure To Eat Your Vegetables... Wed, 06/16/04 5:28 PM (permalink)
                      So....do you put catsup or mustard on your broccoli?

Or maybe horseradish?

Cakes

michaelgemmell

RE: Be Sure To Eat Your Vegetables... Wed, 06/16/04 6:12 PM (permalink)
                        I prefer hollandaise sauce as a topper, but my favorite way of cooking broccoli is stir-fried, and then salt, pepper, a pinch of sugar, a small splash of lemon juice or balsemic vinegar, and maybe a little butter.

If you leave ketchup at my house, when you return I will have made it into barbecue sauce, is what my brother says in response to his own question of "Do you still have that ketchup I left there last year?"

emsmom

• Total Posts: 955
                          RE: Be Sure To Eat Your Vegetables... Thu, 06/17/04 10:51 AM (permalink)
                          Well, I guess that I got my supply of vegetables last night. I went to our local drive in restaurant and had an old fashioned hamburger- with mustard, onion, chili and slaw and an order of fries.

I guess I had four vegetables, french fries, ketchup, onion and cabbage.

But, I would much rather have good fresh vegetables from the Farmers Market any day.

Grampy

• Total Posts: 1559
                            RE: Be Sure To Eat Your Vegetables... Thu, 06/17/04 10:58 AM (permalink)
                            And don't forget, Congress passed a law saying that the tomato is a vegetable, when it is actually a fruit. Commerce apparently rules.

Paulie

• Total Posts: 119
                              RE: Be Sure To Eat Your Vegetables... Thu, 06/17/04 11:48 AM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

During the Reagan administration the government claimed catsup was a vegetable for the school lunch program.

And during the Clinton administration the government (or whatever you want to call it) claimed that salsa was a vegetable for the school lunch program.

Grampy

RE: Be Sure To Eat Your Vegetables... Thu, 06/17/04 12:14 PM (permalink)

"It's Broccoli, Dear."

"I say it's spinach, and the hell with it."

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3218
                                  RE: Be Sure To Eat Your Vegetables... Thu, 06/17/04 3:11 PM (permalink)
                                  Ketchup contains lycopene, a powerful antioxidant found in other processed tomato products. www.lycopene.org

Michael Hoffman

RE: Be Sure To Eat Your Vegetables... Thu, 06/17/04 4:13 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by Grampy

"It's Broccoli, Dear."

Hey, isn't that a New Yorker cartoon from the 1930s?

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                                      RE: Be Sure To Eat Your Vegetables... Thu, 06/17/04 4:16 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
                                      Originally posted by Grampy

"It's Broccoli, Dear."

Hey, isn't that a New Yorker cartoon from the 1930s?

And you remember it,huh

michaelgemmell

RE: Be Sure To Eat Your Vegetables... Thu, 06/17/04 6:07 PM (permalink)
                                        Paulie, could you supply any documentation on your statement re salsa and the Clinton Adninistration? With all due respect, I believe you have been misinformed. After all the bad press Reagan-appointed Agriculture Department officials experienced with the ketchup situation, it seems inconceivable that this newshound could have missed a more recent, similar controversy.

Spinach has a bad rap that it doesn't deserve. Please try Stouffer's frozen Creamed Spinach. It's flat-out yummy. I thaw it and use it in my lasagne, and even my resident veggie hater eats it. There are many other things you can make "Florentine" quickly and easily.

Grampy

RE: Be Sure To Eat Your Vegetables... Thu, 06/17/04 6:33 PM (permalink)
                                          The New Yorker, as well as an Irving Berlin song.

Paulie

• Total Posts: 119
                                            • Location: Bristol, CT/ Westerly RI
                                            RE: Be Sure To Eat Your Vegetables... Fri, 06/18/04 11:50 AM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by michaelgemmell

Paulie, could you supply any documentation on your statement re salsa and the Clinton Adninistration? With all due respect, I believe you have been misinformed. After all the bad press Reagan-appointed Agriculture Department officials experienced with the ketchup situation, it seems inconceivable that this newshound could have missed a more recent, similar controversy.

Michael:

Sorry for the delay in responding. I just now checked back.

I'm afraid I'm not computer savvy enough to provide direct links, but an MSN (our system) or any other search of Clinton, Salsa, School Lunch will return enough responses to fill you in on this non-controversy. You may question some of the sources, but if you look at the American School Board Journal issue of September 1998,their Before the Board section has a blurb about the topic, with a quote from a rather defensive USDA official.

It's hardly surprising, to me at least, that the issue flew under the media radar with a Democrat in office. BUT this is a food forum, not a political one, so I'll say no more.

michaelgemmell

RE: Be Sure To Eat Your Vegetables... Fri, 06/18/04 6:38 PM (permalink)
                                              Dear Paulie,

Thanks so much for the mention of the American School Board Journal. Let me paste here what I found:

"The decision to count salsa as a vegetable might remind you of the Reagan administration's 1981 proposal to grant vegetable status to ketchup. But officials at the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) are sensitive about the comparison.

"There is no relationship," insists Ed Cooney, deputy administrator of special nutrition programs at the Food and Nutrition Service of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). The salsa decision comes as part of USDA's push to offer an array of low-fat, nutritious foods with kid appeal, he says, whereas the ketchup-as-vegetable proposal was a cost-saving option put forward when the Reagan administration was trying to pare $1.5 billion from the school lunch program.

Although the ketchup proposal was soon howled down, the salsa decision seems to be winning approval from the nation's self-appointed food police. "It's tough enough to get kids to eat fruits and vegetables, so we're all in favor of looking for ways to do that. And this certainly seems like a sensible one," says David Schardt, an associate nutritionist with the Center for Science in the Public Interest, the Washington-based group known for its criticism of movie-theater popcorn.

In order to count as a vegetable, the new guidelines require plopping at least one-eighth cup of salsa on each tray."

A couple of weeks ago at Brighan Young's winter home in St. George, Utah, I asked the friendly and knowledgeable tour guide if, in addition to being the spiritual leader of his people, Young was also a political leader. The guide didn't seem to like my question until I said, "You told us Brigham Young had sent his followers to what became St. George to grow cotton, since the Civil War meant they couldn't get cotton for garments from the Confederate States. Wasn't that a political act, since he was not tending then to his people's spiritual needs but rather their temporal needs?" Big smile from the guide. Politics is all around us, Paulie, especially in something as vital as our foodstuffs. Thanks, Paulie, for helping us all understand the difference between the Reagan Adminstration's attempt to use ketchup to help them slash federal support for school lunch programs and the Clinton Administration's attempts to promote healthier food in the same program.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                • No New Messages
                                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                • Read Message
                                                • Post New Thread
                                                • Reply to message
                                                • Post New Poll
                                                • Submit Vote
                                                • Post reward post
                                                • Delete my own posts
                                                • Delete my own threads
                                                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com