Albondigas

Author
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
2004/07/05 17:54:55 (permalink)

Albondigas

This is Mexican meatball soup. It makes a great lunch. A little place I know called La Placita in Green Valley, AZ (just off I-19 between Tucson and Nogales) serves it as the lunch special Tuesdays and Wednesdays and I rarely miss one of those days when I am in town (I have a winter home there).

Lots of Mexican restuarants serve a version of this and I haven't had a really bad one. Still, the first time I tried it may have been the best I've had (at least, as is often the case with "firsts", I remember it as such). That was at a little hole-in-the-wall in, of all places, Honolulu. I was spending 6 weeks in Hawaii on business (I know--life can be hard) and had gotten tired of tourist food and Japanese, so I combed the yellow pages for ideas until I spied this place. I don't recall the name but it was near the University of Hawaii which seemed a locus for much of Honolulu's more interesting cuisines. When I went there, I knew I'd found a winner when I noticed that the owner was apparently also the chef and waiter and had his car up on blocks out back where he would adjourn for a little work when he had a moment. Anyway, the soup was great!

3 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1