(Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati

Author
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
2004/07/12 03:38:26 (permalink)

(Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati

Friday at dinnertime, everyone in my household answered "PIZZA" when the time came for me to ask about dinner. I've been eyeing this new restaurant that has sprung up in one of the old Mio's locations since I noticed it a couple of months back. It's called Portobello's and as I mentioned, it's located in the old Mio's location in Mt. Carmel. It's one of the nicer of the Mio's stores, with an unusually large seating area compared to some of the others we've been in. The first thing that caught my eye were the Saratoga Chips listed in the Appetizers section. I ordered a basket of chips with our drinks, (wondering if the new place had picked the idea up from the oddly legendary Montgomery Inn, where Saratoga Chips were one of the only high points of several below average meals I've eaten in the past,) and they were an excellent start. Served with Baby Ray's Barbecue Sauce, I think they finally helped convince my daughter that barbecue sauce is a legitimate threat to ketchup as a condiment. When the time came to order, none of us were in a similar mood and we all wound up ordering our own pizza. My daughter picked the thin crust pepperoni pizza off the kids menu. My son had to have the "Atsalotta Meat" pizza, also thin crust. My wife ordered a thin crust Mexican and I went with the Portobello Mushroom deep dish. Everyone but my wife came away satisfied, and my wife was only disappointed in herself for not choosing the Spinach & Bacon pizza. Speaking for myself, my Portobello Mushroom deep dish was excellent. It looked and tasted much like one of Mio's Stuffed Crust pizzas, never a bad thing to be compared to, with the toppings buried below a thick topping of cheese and tomato sauce. Service was good, not great, but they seemed fairly busy despite the water main break out on the street. (While we were happy to have found a new pizza place to add to our list, on the way home we were disappointed to find that the Hibachi Master, a Japanese fast food style restaurant that we enjoyed, had closed it's doors.)

201 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1