The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Nathans

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 39 of 39
anselmo1

• Total Posts: 126
RE: Nathans Thu, 07/29/04 12:28 PM (permalink)
Just purchased Nathan's hot dogs at the local Wegman's. Needless to say, I was disappointed in the taste and size of the hot dog. Have to say Zweigles are far superior than Nathan's.

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
    RE: Nathans Thu, 07/29/04 3:45 PM (permalink)
    Zweigles are more of a bratwurst than a hot dog. Like comparing apples and oranges. What did you dislike about the taste of Nathan's? It's a quality kosher style all beef dog. One of the best of it's type.

garykg6

• Total Posts: 358
      RE: Nathans Thu, 07/29/04 4:15 PM (permalink)
      CHICAGOSTYLEDOG has done the impossible,I fell off my chair(barstools don't count) when the man ''paraphrased''' A.E.Housman in his dog poem, now thats a man I would buy lunch for at anytime
      as to Nathans,the packaged dogs are odd-tasting(too many nitrates?).....I have been to the original,it was OK but nothing more,actually Nathan's used to have a restaurant near Times Square that was better but that,over the passage of time,is not a opinion to take at face value
      Ah,as I was young and easy
      under the hot dog wagons
      time let me hail
      in the mercy of his means
      I was prince among the french fry bins........with apologies to Dylan Thomas

ohman

• Total Posts: 262
        RE: Nathans Thu, 07/29/04 5:22 PM (permalink)
        We sell Zweigles on our cart and they are nothing like a brat, if you want a brat try Sheboygan Bratwursts....very good! If you want a real treat try a Zweigles White Hot, there is nothing better. I tried all of the big brands before going into business and Zweigles are by far the best. This is just my opinion though

anselmo1

• Total Posts: 126
          RE: Nathans Thu, 07/29/04 6:12 PM (permalink)
          Well, I was disappointed in the Nathans supermarket version that comes packaged. I saw a great looking Nathans hot dogs on QVC which looked out of this world. So, I guess they have two or three types of different hot dogs? These Nathans hot dogs as presented on QVC were bigger than the supermarket version.

The Zweigles hot dogs are hot dogs and not brats. Brats have a completely different taste.

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
            RE: Nathans Thu, 07/29/04 6:40 PM (permalink)
            I've heard a lot about Zweigles White Hots. Finally this year, they became available at Wegmans. I've tried them and I like them. But a much different animal than a kosher style all beef dog. But that's fine. Also different than a German style pork and beef dog. The bratwurst that Zweigles are similar to are the precooked brats that I get at the German butchers in Union. Which I prefer to Zweigles. They are the same size with similar ingredients. The Zweigles White Hots are thicker and wider than a normal sized dog. And to me taste like a mild pre cooked pork and veal brat. They have the same ingredients, shape, and taste as a brat. I believe they use the term White Hot for marketing reasons. The brats that they don't resemble are the fresh (uncooked) brats made exclusively from pork.

ohman

• Total Posts: 262
              RE: Nathans Thu, 07/29/04 6:50 PM (permalink)
              You brought a good point, what is the red and white "hot" about? There is nothing hot about them.

robvad38

• Total Posts: 2
                RE: Nathans Thu, 08/26/04 10:00 AM (permalink)
                The Nathan's franchises I find in the local malls are just hideous, and I have never been down to Coney Island. But if I'm in the backyard on the grill, Nathan's skinless from the grocery store are the only dogs I'll use. Depending on what I'm using as a dressing, usually dictates the dog I'll buy. But if your cooking for others the Nathan's skinless seem to have the broadest appeal.

Bill M

• Total Posts: 18
                  RE: Nathans Fri, 08/27/04 12:58 AM (permalink)
                  The NC Nathans are available at Pathmark during summer months. The natural casing dogs don't sell well during non-grilling months. Supermarkets can't send them back for credit when they go out of date (therefore, a loss) because they are sold in "random weight packages". The regular and bigger than the bun can be sent back for credit (and no loss to the store). That is why they are usually available only during the summer months.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                    Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 39 of 39

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com