Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Gyros

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
Gyros Wed, 07/21/04 7:34 PM (permalink)
We ended up discussing gyros under "Mexican Food in Frisco"--go figure. Anyway, I think it's a worthy topic on its own so here goes.

I nominated Gyro King, Fell St. near Market in SF (across the street from the Main Library), for gyro champ. They are a little unusual in that the family that owns/runs it are Turkish, not Greek, and they offer a lot of Turkish specialties, especially pastries (the pizza-like things are killer). But they make a great gyro and they're nice people.

Ort. Carlton.

RE: Gyros Wed, 07/21/04 9:11 PM (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    There are several independent eateries in Atlanta that make Gyros. There is a locally-based chain, Gyro Wrap, that has a franchised-but-nominally-independent store here in Athens (very good indeed!).
    I've got to look into the some of the Atlanta area ones, especially Big Nick's on Lakewood Avenue, S/E and Big John's in East Point... the latter place just LOOKS Roadfoodish; whether it will progress to being either Sternable or Most Sternable is to be seen.
    Similar broiler/cookers are used in the k-bob operation. Athens has two co-owned places, Achim's K-Bob, that serve that sandwich accompanied by Belgian-style fries with a dipping sauce of choice. Achim is from Germany (I think Turkey originally) and was turned onto the k-bob style of eatery there while in school. He is a classically-trained oboist (so is Mitch Miller, by the way, who is still working at age 92) who gave up music to conduct a food business (his phraseology).
    When I see an independent diner with "GYROS" on the front, I automatically think "Greek-operated," and make a mental note to give it a try. Rarely am I ever disappointed....
    Ramblingly Submitted, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.

Tommy2dogs

• Total Posts: 348
      RE: Gyros Thu, 07/22/04 9:37 AM (permalink)
      We have a middle eastern market here in the Dallas that serves great Gyros( it's from Kronos in Chicago. The nice man was kind enough to seel me a whole Frozen Gyros cone. I have a grill with a rotis that heats from the back so I can put a pan under to catch the drippings. I just stop the rtis as the meat browns and dropinto the pan. This with flatbread onion tomato and Tzatsiki Sauce made for a great party.

Tommy2dogs

• Total Posts: 348
        RE: Gyros Thu, 07/22/04 9:39 AM (permalink)
        Sorry, I slice it thinly and drop the slices into the pan

forurlungsonly

• Total Posts: 92
          RE: Gyros Thu, 07/22/04 9:47 AM (permalink)
          There's a place here in downtown Albany called A Taste of Greece that has the aforementioned cones of gyro meat. They have an open kitchen and you can watch the cooks slice off thin pieces of the lamb and beef for your gyro.

Craving gyros the other night I made meatballs with ground lamb mixed with ground beef and added some fresh mint. I made a tzatziki sauce and some orzo with spinach. Not quite a gyro, but delicious anyway.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17805
            RE: Gyros Thu, 07/22/04 9:52 AM (permalink)
            I've found refrgerated packages containing slices of the beef/lamb combination, pita bread and the tzatziki sauce in the supermarkets. I toss the sauce and make my own with plain yogurt, garlic, cucumber and lemon juice.

santacruz

• Total Posts: 372
              RE: Gyros Thu, 07/22/04 12:01 PM (permalink)
              Thanks for the Gyro King tip BT I will check it out.

One of my favorite places in San Francisco is Yumma's on Irving Street they make an excellent shawarma with gyro meat. They also have plenty of other Middle Eastern dishes.

I basically love Greek,Armenian and Middle Eastern foods. But Mexican and Italian are right up there.

emsmom

• Total Posts: 955
                RE: Gyros Thu, 07/22/04 3:40 PM (permalink)
                The best gyros I've ever had is a place called Abrahams. It is located on the Boardwalk near the Pavilion in Myrtle Beach, SC.
                It is run by 2 brothers and a sister from Greece. The Cucumber sauce is the best and they make some fried potatoes to go with the gyros that are out of this world.

BT

RE: Gyros Thu, 07/22/04 6:11 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I've found refrgerated packages containing slices of the beef/lamb combination, pita bread and the tzatziki sauce in the supermarkets. I toss the sauce and make my own with plain yogurt, garlic, cucumber and lemon juice.

If you want to make your own, Trader Joe's sells Tzatziki and, of course, pita bread. You'd have to improvise on the meat, though if you look around, you might find something suitable. For example, TJ's now sells cold cooked pork roasts they call carnitas but which make excellent pork BBQ if sliced or chopped and with the addition of sauce. I know they have sliced roast beef, but I don't recall seeing lamb although that doesn't mean it isn't there.

syrup

• Total Posts: 164
                    RE: Gyros Fri, 07/23/04 1:05 PM (permalink)
                    My favorite Gyro is the Athens Souvlaki in Southfield,Mi. It's been around forever, relative to most of the restraunts in the area. Switching from topic, what you think of the regional Chain Of Olga's?I find there gyros have a pleasant mild flavor, but they never fill you up and are too expensive.

santacruz

• Total Posts: 372
                      RE: Gyros Fri, 07/23/04 1:27 PM (permalink)
                      BT,
                      I agree the new Trader Joe's Carnita's meat is really good. I use it mainly in Mexican styles but I think I will try to make gyro type meat with it. Great idea.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17805
                        RE: Gyros Fri, 07/23/04 1:44 PM (permalink)
                        The product I've found in supermarkets is Grecian Delight.

http://www.greciandelight.com/store/cat2.asp?cat1=2

Ort. Carlton.

RE: Gyros Sun, 07/25/04 9:36 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

The product I've found in supermarkets is Grecian Delight.

http://www.greciandelight.com/store/cat2.asp?cat1=2

Michael; All Y'all,
                          This is absolutely the best dressing of its kind that I've ever had. It's made in Chicago, I think it is. The only thing that could dream of exceeding it in quality is homemade; this is surely the best commercially-available (on any wide scale) brand.
                          When I manage to lose some more weight, I'll have some with some Coney fries at The Gyro Wrap. Oh, my... how wondrous!
                          Sighingly, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.

johnnymolson

• Total Posts: 90
                            • Roadfood Insider
                            RE: Gyros Fri, 08/13/04 4:48 AM (permalink)
                            Greek On Wheels in Ottawa, Ontario has great gyros. They used to have a deal "Two Can Dine for $8.99" that got you two delicious Gyros overflowing with meat, fresh tomatoes, onions, and extra-creamy tzatziki...and two soft drinks.

seafarer john

RE: Gyros Fri, 08/13/04 8:48 AM (permalink)
                              The best Gyro I ever had was about 30 years ago when I took my youngest son to watch a cricket match in Halifax, NS. We were totally mystified by the rules of cricket, but we did buy a pair of Gyros from a street vendor and fully enjoyed them while watching a game that remains incomprehensible to me to this day

Cheers, John

emsmom

• Total Posts: 955
                                RE: Gyros Fri, 08/13/04 10:59 AM (permalink)
                                We are going to Myrtle Beach next Friday- 8/20 (thankfully after the aftermath of the tropical storms) and I look forward to getting a gyro at Abrahams
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by emsmom

The best gyros I've ever had is a place called Abrahams. It is located on the Boardwalk near the Pavilion in Myrtle Beach, SC.
                                It is run by 2 brothers and a sister from Greece. The Cucumber sauce is the best and they make some fried potatoes to go with the gyros that are out of this world.

hermitt4d

• Total Posts: 367
                                  RE: Gyros Sat, 08/14/04 1:08 PM (permalink)

Niko Nikos in Houston. That's a view of the original building, a former gas station. They're currently undergoing their 3rd or 4th remodeling. Looks like it's going to be a double decker, significantly adding to the dining areas, but there will never be enough parking for the crowds.

That's the entire kitchen you see in the background. It's always been amazing how 3 or 4 people can work in that tiny space without getting in each other's way. All the awards are for cleanliness, awarded by a local consumer reporter who does restaurant reports (MAAAARVIN ZINDLER, of 'Best Little Whorehouse in Texas Fame' - the Dom Deluise character). I can't wait to see if they're going to add another ordering station - the wait is usually about 15 minutes just to place your order. Maybe they'll figure they've got the system down so well they don't need to change it.

http://www.nikonikos.com/history.htm

capplus

• Total Posts: 3
                                    RE: Gyros Tue, 02/15/05 12:32 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
                                    There are several independent eateries in Atlanta that make Gyros. There is a locally-based chain, Gyro Wrap, that has a franchised-but-nominally-independent store here in Athens (very good indeed!).
                                    I've got to look into the some of the Atlanta area ones, especially Big Nick's on Lakewood Avenue, S/E and Big John's in East Point... the latter place just LOOKS Roadfoodish; whether it will progress to being either Sternable or Most Sternable is to be seen.
                                    Similar broiler/cookers are used in the k-bob operation. Athens has two co-owned places, Achim's K-Bob, that serve that sandwich accompanied by Belgian-style fries with a dipping sauce of choice. Achim is from Germany (I think Turkey originally) and was turned onto the k-bob style of eatery there while in school. He is a classically-trained oboist (so is Mitch Miller, by the way, who is still working at age 92) who gave up music to conduct a food business (his phraseology).
                                    When I see an independent diner with "GYROS" on the front, I automatically think "Greek-operated," and make a mental note to give it a try. Rarely am I ever disappointed....

capplus

RE: Gyros Tue, 02/15/05 12:33 PM (permalink)
                                      Where are the good places in Atlanta. I was downtown yesterday looking for a good gyro.

Thansk
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,

capplus

RE: Gyros Tue, 02/15/05 12:35 PM (permalink)
                                        I live in Knoxville, TN and love gyro's but have yet to find a place that makes good fresh sandwiches. Anyone know of any good places in Knoxville, TN???

tybeeguy

• Total Posts: 87
                                          RE: Gyros Tue, 02/15/05 1:21 PM (permalink)
                                          Plaka Family Restaurant
                                          769 Dodecanese Blvd
                                          Tarpon Springs, FL 34689
                                          727-934-4752
                                          Here is a place to get a great Gyro. Try it if ever down in the Tampa area. There are some others in this Greek village, but this is one is the best.

lampwick773

• Total Posts: 9
                                            RE: Gyros Tue, 02/15/05 10:32 PM (permalink)
                                            This one falls a little outside our national radar... I mean you actually have to go to Greece... but Drosopigi (pronounced "droe-so-pee-YEE") is an Athenian franchise that serves gyros that blow pretty much anything to be found in the States out of the water.

The secret? First, the meat is actually meat, not some kind of meatloaf; Second, they put fries on the sandwich (and what doesn't tatse even better with fries ON it?)... and lastly, before they even put the meat, veggies and fries on, they slather the pita in hot pork fat, salt, and lemon juice and then toast it on the griddle. Sure, it'll probably kill you if you eat them everyday, but boy are they good

As far as the USA goes... my vote is for Zorba's at Halsted and Jackson in Greektown (Chicago).

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
                                              RE: Gyros Wed, 02/16/05 1:02 PM (permalink)
                                              If anyone would like to try making their own gyro meat, I can post a recipe for it. It's not a cone shape - cooked in a loaf pan - but the flavor is similar.

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
                                                RE: Gyros Wed, 02/16/05 7:56 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by capplus

I live in Knoxville, TN and love gyro's but have yet to find a place that makes good fresh sandwiches. Anyone know of any good places in Knoxville, TN???
                                                Capplus,

the best, and only good gyro I know of in Knoxville is found at the Time Out Deli, on Kingston Pike. The owner is a very interesting person who loves to talk, he's from Jordann or Lebanon I believe, and he makes his own. I've had a few others but they seemed to me to be mass produced.
                                                A good gyro is a true delight.

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
                                                  RE: Gyros Wed, 02/16/05 7:59 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by RubyRose

If anyone would like to try making their own gyro meat, I can post a recipe for it. It's not a cone shape - cooked in a loaf pan - but the flavor is similar.

Hey RR, I'd love to see a recipe for this. If it's in a loaf, do you slice it like a meatloaf to eat? Anxiously awaiting your recipe.

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
                                                    • Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
                                                    RE: Gyros Fri, 02/18/05 8:30 AM (permalink)
                                                    Here's how I make them. The seasoning is the way my family likes it but you can adjust to your taste.
                                                    GYROS

1 tsp. fennel seeds
                                                    2 Tbs. boiling water
                                                    1 Tbs chopped (very fresh) garlic
                                                    2 onions, finely chopped
                                                    ½ cup dry whole wheat bread crumbs
                                                    2 eggs
                                                    ¼ tsp. dried thyme
                                                    1 tsp. dried sweet marjoram
                                                    ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
                                                    1 tsp. cumin powder
                                                    1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
                                                    2 ½ lbs. ground lamb, at least 1/6 fat by weight
                                                    ½ lb. ground beef
                                                    ½ cup minced parsley
                                                    ¼ lb. fresh pork fat
                                                    pita bread

Slightly crush the fennel seeds and soak in the boiling water for 15 minutes.

Process the garlic and onions together in a food processor or blender. Add the bread crumbs and eggs and mix until just combined. Add the fennel seeds and water, thyme, marjoram, cinnamon, cumin and cayenne and blend for 1 minute.

Combine the garlic mixture with the lamb, beef and parsley. Mix until thoroughly combined but do not overmix. Fry a small amount to check the seasonings and add more if necessary.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Thinly slice the pork fat and place a single layer on the bottom of a 9 X 5 inch loaf pan. Spoon in the meat mixture and top with another layer of pork fat. Cover the pan with foil. Crimp it near the top, or water could seep into the loaf.

Place the loaf pan in a roasting pan. Pour boiling water into the roasting pan to halfway up the sides of the loaf pan. Do not let the loaf pan float. You might need to put a custard cup weighted with dry beans on top if it floats. Bake for 1 ½ to 1 ¾ hours, until cooked through but not dry.

Remove the pork slices on top. Do not drain the fat that forms around the loaf, as it helps to preserve the meat. Replace the foil and set another loaf pan, right side up, on top of the loaf, Weight it by putting several cans, or a large peanut butter jar filled with water in the empty loaf pan. Weight the loaf for 2 to 3 hours, then remove the weights.

Refrigerate, then unmold when chilled. Wrap in plastic wrap, then foil, and store in the refrigerator.

To serve, thinly slice the meat and grill or broil until the edges are slightly crispy. Some of the fat will melt out. Stuff into pita bread and serve with the usual accompaniments, like garlic yogurt sauce.

Gyro loaf will keep in refrigerator for up to 1 week if tightly wrapped or frozen up to 3 months.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                      • No New Messages
                                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                      • Read Message
                                                      • Post New Thread
                                                      • Reply to message
                                                      • Post New Poll
                                                      • Submit Vote
                                                      • Post reward post
                                                      • Delete my own posts
                                                      • Delete my own threads
                                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com