Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

July 2004 Mini Baseball Trip

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7411
  • Roadfood Insider
July 2004 Mini Baseball Trip Fri, 07/23/04 4:22 PM (permalink)
Hey guys,

Just got back from a "mini baseball trip" last night as I start my new job on Monday.

I left last saturday and drove to Hagerstown MD to see the Single A team the Hagerstown Suns lose to the Lakewood Blue Claws. After dealing with hellacious traffic in both the Stamford CT area and Allentown PA area I arrived in Shartlesville and went to old reliable Haags Hotel. The food as always was delicious however I was dissappointed that they no longer serve fresh baked bread with Apple Butter and Cottage Cheese before the meal. The only thing disappointing about the meal were the small stale dinner rolls. The White Meat Chicken with Gravy, Filling, Dried Corn, Baked Beans and Pepper Cabbage were delicious the meal also comes with dessert. I had the Tapioca Pudding. I arrived in Hagerstown 15 minutes before the game began. I really wasn't that hungry and although I had contemplated going to Richardson's after the game, the desire went away after my huge meal at Haags. I did have a hot dog at the ballpark with a 32 Oz Yuengling.

(SIGNMAN- if you're reading this I would have called you to let you know I was in Hagerstown, but the trip was completely spur of the moment and I literally did not know where I was headed until I left!)
The next day I headed to Charlestown WV to see the Alleycats lose to the Hickory Crawdads (I mean really lose- they lost badly!). I was planning to stop at Bender's Restaurant in Cumberland MD, however I called beforehand and their phone was disconnected. Oddly enough I remember a review on the roadfood site and oddly enough it was mysteriously removed, yet it was never mentioned on any of the forums (for shame Michael!) I went to Park n Dine instead in Hancock and had their Chipped Beef on Toast. The meal arrived immediately and the portions were huge and delicious and it came with Fresh cut homefries. In Charleston I had a Brat at the Ballpark, which actually wasn't bad but was certainly not up to Wisconsin standards. After the game I went to Southern Kitchen and ordered up their Country Ham and Biscuits in Red Eye gravy and had the peanut butter pie for desert. All was delicious.

The next afternoon I had an early lunch at Joey's Ribs near the civic center in downtown Charleston. The ribs were meaty and the sauce was sweet, however the bbq beans were kinda watery and the french fries were nothing special. I arrived in Pittsburgh and met up with friends to see the Pirates lose to Montreal. Primanti's has a concession stand at the park. The sandwichs at the Park are second rate and do not hold up to the original locations. The sandwich tasted like it sat around for awhile. The next day I went to Clara's Pittsburgh Pierogis in Brentwood for lunch, a suburb just south of Pittsburgh. I had the Platter which included Kolbassi, Stuffed Cabbage, Pierogis and Halushki. All were good but were just a notch below the Platters served at Pierogi's Plus in McKeesrocks and The Bloomfield Bridge Tavern in Pittsburgh. That evening I joined a friend for dinner at Domenico's in Cranberry, about 1/2 hour north of Pittsburgh and had a decent Chicken Parm meal.

The next day I met with a couple of old coworkers ( I used to live in Pittsburgh) for lunch at the best Pizza Joint in Pittsburgh...Mineo's. That alone is enough reason to visit Pittsburgh. Fresh delicious Pizza with a crispy crust, sweet red sauce and generous amounts of cheese. In the evening it was off to the log cabin in Zelionople for a gut busting dinner of BBQ chicken which came with a baked sweet Potato drenched in cinamon butter. We also ordered Stuffed Mushroom and Fried Zucchini appetizers. Even though the waitress mentioned that the deserts were homemade, I simply could not eat anymore. In fact the next morning (yesterday) I was planning on having a hearty breakfast but settled for a muffin and coffee. On the way back to Rhode Island I stopped at the Hibernia Diner in New Jersey about 35 miles from the GW bridge off I-80 and had a dissapointing dry Pastrami on Rye, however I'll admit the Chicken and Pasta soup was good. I probably should have stopped at one of the HotDog places which advertized on I-80 and I-287 for a Newark Style Hot Dog. Oh well, I learned my lesson for next time!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com