The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Camp Washington

Tristan Indiana

• Total Posts: 328
Camp Washington Sun, 07/25/04 11:43 AM (permalink)
Went to Camp Washington Chili last night for dinner to get my fix of Cincinnati chili but it was closed! The parking lot was roped off so I didn't get out to investigate, maybe a sign on the door explaining the reason. So does anybody know it this is temporary? Ended up driving to Blue Ash but couldn't locate B,A.C. Finally gave up and headed to the Montgomery Inn. More upscale than I had planned for dinner . Loved the black raspberry chocolate chip ice cream we had for dessert though.

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4486
    RE: Camp Washington Mon, 07/26/04 8:30 AM (permalink)
    I've heard nothing in the local news about Camp Washington Chili.

The closest place to Camp Washington Chili that is also pretty good is Price Hill Chili, maybe 3-4 miles away.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7410
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: Camp Washington Tue, 07/27/04 6:16 PM (permalink)
      I think this excerpt from the Cincinnati Enquirer might explain it.

EAT
      CAMP WASHINGTON CHILI
      3055 Colerain Ave., Camp Washington
      (513) 541-0061
      (closed July 12-25, reopens July 26)

WHY HERE? Whether it's goetta, ribs, chili, pizza or ice cream, there's no denying Cincinnati is well-known for its food. While many local restaurants have gone on to sell their products nationally with much success, Camp Washington Chili has kept only one location in its 64 years in business.

Only closing for Sundays and major holidays (and taking a two-week break this month, reopening July 26), the 24-hour restaurant still maintains all the flavor its customers have come to know and love over the years, despite moving to a new location - 10 feet behind its original address.

Wallyum

• Total Posts: 627
        RE: Camp Washington Wed, 07/28/04 12:37 AM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by Tristan Indiana

Ended up driving to Blue Ash but couldn't locate B,A.C.

TJ, I know this is one of your faves. I'll be starting on my Cincy Chili quest once my daughter's softball season ends after next Tuesday's make-up game. I'm planning on starting with Camp Washington Chili just because it seems to be the first one most people recommend. Where exactly is Blue Ash Chili?

TJ Jackson

RE: Camp Washington Wed, 07/28/04 8:24 AM (permalink)
          WJ: missed that entirely. Thanks.

Wallyum: Roadfood review incudes a mapquest link:
          http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=513&RefID=513

Wallyum

RE: Camp Washington Wed, 08/4/04 1:46 AM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by TJ Jackson

WJ: missed that entirely. Thanks.

Wallyum: Roadfood review incudes a mapquest link:
            http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=513&RefID=513

Thanks. Softball season is officially over as of tonight, so next Tuesday I plan to embark upon my personal odyssey of gastric distress. Camp Washington will be my first stop, but I've got Blue Ash Chili penciled high in the batting order as well. Wish me luck and a low cholesterol count.

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
              • Roadfood Insider
              RE: Camp Washington Tue, 12/7/04 5:56 AM (permalink)
              Unfortunately for me my annual trip to Cincy this last July coincided with Camp Wash. being closed for 2 weeks. I had planned on several 3 ways and chili dogs while there. Plus I had planned on exporting 2 or 3 qts back to WVa with me.

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
                RE: Camp Washington Fri, 02/25/05 11:14 PM (permalink)
                quote:

The closest place to Camp Washington Chili that is also pretty good is Price Hill Chili, maybe 3-4 miles away.

TJ,

ever been to US Chile right across the street? Started about the same time as Jerry's ( I think they're brothers/anyway, there is no love between them). Do you not like it?

TJ Jackson

RE: Camp Washington Sun, 02/27/05 12:22 AM (permalink)
                  I have not yet been there.....

carlton pierre

RE: Camp Washington Fri, 03/4/05 7:40 AM (permalink)
                    Jerry Johnson, owner/founder of Camp Washington Chili in 1940, makes over 60 gallons of chili per day.

Wallyum

RE: Camp Washington Fri, 03/4/05 4:19 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by carlton pierre

quote:

TJ,

ever been to US Chile right across the street? Started about the same time as Jerry's ( I think they're brothers/anyway, there is no love between them). Do you not like it?

A guy I once worked with was close to both of the chili brothers. According to him, US Chili stands for Uncle Steve's Chili. It was never open when I was in the neighborhood, (keep in mind that this was 3am,) or I'd have given it a try. I think they have/had more standardized business hours.

jj1814

• Total Posts: 3
                        RE: Camp Washington Sat, 04/9/05 11:14 PM (permalink)
                        "Like many family businesses, there were conflicts within the Camp Washington Chili ownership. His uncle's son-in-law wanted to take a share of the business away from Johnson, and so in 1977, after some haggling, Johnson became the restaurant's sole owner. His disgruntled relatives then became business competitors, opening a chili parlor across the street (named U.S. Chili, after "Uncle Steve")."

Source: Cincinnati City Beat
                        http://www.citybeat.com/archives/1998/issue437/coverarticle1.html

carlton pierre

RE: Camp Washington Thu, 06/2/05 7:00 PM (permalink)
                          I had a 5 way today at US Chili. Figured I ought to check it out. I asked the waitress if "US" stood for Uncle Steve, and she claimed to not know. Looks as if the building was a bank building at one time, the way the front doors open and the fact there is an extremely large safe built into one of the walls.
                          Speaking of walls, they are void of any decoration, as opposed to Camp Wash across the street.
                          All I could say was the 5 way was incredibly delicious, but whether it was better than Camp W across the street I couldn't tell.

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
                            • Roadfood Insider
                            RE: Camp Washington Fri, 06/3/05 5:01 AM (permalink)
                            Hey TJ and my other Cincy buds, is Camp Washington going to be open July 18 - 22, do you know? I should be in town that week.

MikeS.

TJ Jackson

RE: Camp Washington Fri, 06/3/05 12:26 PM (permalink)
                              Carlton: Oddly enough, I stopped at US Chili for lunch for exactly the same reason....had a dentist appt in the morning then came south on 75 around 11 today and decided, what the heck, might as well find out.

Mr Mayor: I finally get to answer your question :-)

The differences I noted:

No parking
                              Camp Washington has a parking lot, US Chili really doesn't. I guess you could park at Camp Washington and walk across the street to US Chili, but I doubt the propritors of Camp Washington would much appreciate it. Best bet is a parking meter, 25 cents should be enough unless you're plannign to linger over a breakfast

Hours
                              Camp Washington is 24 hour joint, 7 days a week.
                              US Chili is only open for breakfast and lunch for the most part (M-F 6a to 4:45pm, S 6a-2p, closed sundays)

Chili
                              Camp Washington has a very good truly cincinnati-style chili that I consider to be one of the best (top 3 or so) in the area. The chili at US Chili is more like a gravy or a sauce.....somewhat less meat, somewhat more like a cream gravy. I found the texture a bit disturbing. The hot dog literally slipped out of the bun in the chili dog I ordered, I mean it was almost like a lubricant rather than chili. I thought the taste was fine, but the texture was waaaay off.

Other than these three differences, most everything else - menu, ambience, obvious focus on double deckers and breakfast as well as chili - was very much alike.

But given the difference in the chili, were I to stop by in the area again, I'd always choose Camp Washington.

vwman80

• Total Posts: 4
                                RE: Camp Washington Tue, 07/19/05 12:37 AM (permalink)
                                Has anyone tried Chili Time in St Bernard? It is awesome!

carlton pierre

RE: Camp Washington Sun, 11/20/05 7:24 PM (permalink)
                                  Had a nice visit with John Johnson, owner and founder of CW yesterday. Been in business 54 years. US Chili across the street was the forerunner of CW, and they had a faling out about 40 years ago that has never been resolved. Neat guy to talk with and he puts in some long hours for a man of his age. He also informed me that chili is a food that is not found in Greece where he is from.

cornfed

• Total Posts: 344
                                    RE: Camp Washington Sun, 11/20/05 7:49 PM (permalink)
                                    Man, I got to get to Cinci. Never been. Sounds like a lot of food from many surrounding regions.

buffetbuster

RE: Camp Washington Fri, 12/1/06 1:20 PM (permalink)
                                      Ate lunch last Saturday at Camp Washington. Considering it was the about sixth time I have eaten there, you can correctly assume that it is a favorite. Anyway, I noticed the owner Mr. Johnson walking around, so I struck up a converstaion with him. What a nice man and true gentleman! Even though they were somewhat busy, he must of spoke to us for a half hour, minus interruptions. He was happy to answer a lot of questions. He did try to give us some free coneys, but we had already ordered so much food. So, just before we departed, he came over and handed us free t-shirts, which we really appreciated. I'm always happy to see nice people like him have success.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                        • No New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                        • Read Message
                                        • Post New Thread
                                        • Reply to message
                                        • Post New Poll
                                        • Submit Vote
                                        • Post reward post
                                        • Delete my own posts
                                        • Delete my own threads
                                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com