The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Ribfest season!

Hepcat

• Total Posts: 374
Ribfest season! Tue, 07/27/04 11:17 AM (permalink)
It's ribfest season here in southern Ontario where as many as fifteen travelling pros from as far away as Arizona set up their rigs and compete against each other. My favourite of the competitors found in these here parts is Ole Camp 31 from Alabama.

Are ribfests a frequent occurrence in your neck of the woods? Who's your favourite among the travelling competitors?

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15060
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: Ribfest season! Tue, 07/27/04 11:36 AM (permalink)
    Many of the BBQ Competitions along the Ohio River are earlier in the season...May-June. However the Madison Indiana "RIBBERFEST" will take place August 20-21. We just ordered out entry armbads for the two day event. If you order in advance from the website you get $10 in food coupons good at the vendors stands included in the price of admission.
    http://visitmadison.org/s-cart/form.phtml?g_intCatID=8

It is two days of food and fun as well as competition for the teams, along the riverfront.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15060
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: Ribfest season! Sat, 08/21/04 8:46 AM (permalink)
      Here's a brief summary of Day One of the RIBBERFEST at Madison, IN.
      Some notes of interest.
      The event uses several blocks of park and waterfront in the town of Madison (about halfway between Louisville and Cincinnati).
      They have two levels of competition (first time we have seen that) For the Big Leaguers, the KCBS spnsors the Indiana Official Championship Competition. We did a walk thru of their area and enjoyed seeing the big-guns at work.
      Then there is also a 'Bush-League' (no pun) or Backyard BBQ competition group. This is made up some folks like you and I who aren't involved in the BBQ circuit. The cookers were smaller (in some cases) and the teams seemed to be less color-coordinated in their dress. The had a heck of a good time though and BEST of ALL, they passed out samples of their Que to J Q Public. We lined up for things like Pork, Ribs, and Brisket from about 25 cook-sites. Most were just like Costco Samples, a little taste of this or that, but we did gather several ribs and one fellow was slicing the brisket in quarter inch full slices, much to the appreciation of the folks in his line.
      The vendors had prices that were pretty reasonable compared to many Fair-Food prices we've found this season. A 3 meat BBQ plate went for $7.00, Not huge, but quite satisfactory. Corn was $3 for a huge ear. and Even Baskin-Robins had Double Dip Cones for $3. All in all we did fine.
      Unfortuneately the rains came during the Blues Concert, so we bailed (literally) out about 10pm, but it is a nice little festival and we will be headed back next year for sure. Due to Family Committments we aren't planning to do the second day of this years festival. Too Bad though...Today is the Rib-Eater Challenge!! The goal is to see how fast a person can consume a full rack of Pork Ribs. I would love to participate in that (no entry fee).
      Maybe next year!!
      Thanks to Stogy for recommending a really fun event!

RibDog

• Total Posts: 593
        RE: Ribfest season! Sat, 08/21/04 9:44 PM (permalink)
        Too bad you were not there today. I am hearing from other people that it was Chamber of Commerce weather today.

I wish I could have been there. A good friend of mine took the Grand Champion there today.

John

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
          • No New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
          • Locked w/ New Messages
          • Locked w/o New Messages
          • Read Message
          • Post New Thread
          • Reply to message
          • Post New Poll
          • Submit Vote
          • Post reward post
          • Delete my own posts
          • Delete my own threads
          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com