The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Humpty Dumpty Burgers

Route 11

• Total Posts: 752
Humpty Dumpty Burgers Wed, 07/28/04 4:58 PM (permalink)
Anyone have any info on this chain? I know they were in Charlottesville, VA in the 1960's and I know where some of the locations were...but what was this? Was it national?

flyseye

• Total Posts: 466
    RE: Humpty Dumpty Burgers Sun, 10/16/05 12:59 PM (permalink)
    Sorry about dredging up an ancient thread, but I was wondering about this too, so I did a search. I was thinking the place might have been called " Happy Humpty", but it could have been " Humpty Dumpty". There was one in Ft Wayne back in the 60's, but it is long, long gone. Part of the building still exists however. The place was blue, and had a lighted Happy Humpty, or Humpty Dumpty on its sign.

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1503
      RE: Humpty Dumpty Burgers Sun, 10/16/05 11:28 PM (permalink)
      ****************************WIENERBURGER?*******************

How about WienerBurger in Vermont? The place was long gone before I started going up to Vermont years ago. I don't even know what they served. But, if I'm not mistaken, the tall sign out front, somewhere north of Middlebury on Route 7, is still there. Or, maybe I just dreamt it.

But if I'm going to dream, why would I dream about that? Why wouldn't I dream that I won a million dollars? Could it be that you can't even catch a break in dreams? That they're just as crazy as real life?

6star

• Total Posts: 4388
        RE: Humpty Dumpty Burgers Mon, 10/17/05 2:51 AM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by ScreenBear

****************************WIENERBURGER?*******************

How about WienerBurger in Vermont? The place was long gone before I started going up to Vermont years ago. I don't even know what they served. But, if I'm not mistaken, the tall sign out front, somewhere north of Middlebury on Route 7, is still there. Or, maybe I just dreamt it.

But if I'm going to dream, why would I dream about that? Why wouldn't I dream that I won a million dollars? Could it be that you can't even catch a break in dreams? That they're just as crazy as real life?

If you dreamt it, somebody else with a dream camera must have dreamt it also. See:http://static.sxc.hu/browse.phtml?f=view&id=265152&DREAMID=e3b1270abb64ca210e7a6c5be1f8e2a6

flyseye

• Total Posts: 466
          RE: Humpty Dumpty Burgers Mon, 10/17/05 2:42 PM (permalink)
          The for what its worth department:

After doing a search for "Happy Humpty", and checking with my dad, I am convinced this 60's chain was called " HAPPY HUMPTY", not "Humpty Dumpty". I found an obituary for a women from Ohio which stated she worked at " Happy Humpty". Also my father is positive that it was called " Happy Humpty " which is also the name I remember.

So after all of that, does anyone else remember the " Happy Humpty" chain from the 60's ?

Rapunzll

• Total Posts: 314
            RE: Humpty Dumpty Burgers Mon, 10/17/05 3:01 PM (permalink)
            There was a Humpty Dumpty in Denver, but this article doesn't say if it was a chain or not: http://beef-mag.com/mag/beef_happy_th_hamburger/

jacknjill

• Total Posts: 1
              RE: Humpty Dumpty Burgers Thu, 04/20/06 8:28 PM (permalink)
              While remodeling our kitchen here in Charlottesville our contractor found a cup behind the wal that had "Humpty Dumpty Burger, Home of the 15 Cent Hamburger" printed on it. That should pretty well settle it.

sweetnetmary

• Total Posts: 3
                RE: Humpty Dumpty Burgers Fri, 06/16/06 11:30 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by flyseye

Sorry about dredging up an ancient thread, but I was wondering about this too, so I did a search. I was thinking the place might have been called " Happy Humpty", but it could have been " Humpty Dumpty". There was one in Ft Wayne back in the 60's, but it is long, long gone. Part of the building still exists however. The place was blue, and had a lighted Happy Humpty, or Humpty Dumpty on its sign.

sweetnetmary

RE: Humpty Dumpty Burgers Fri, 06/16/06 11:35 PM (permalink)
                  Hi. There was definitely a place in St. Mary's Ohio that was called Happy Humpty. We used to go fishing at Grand Lake in the 60's and 70's in a cabin at Montezuma. We would eat at Happy Humpty sometimes. They had really good cheeseburgers, fries, cole slaw, etc. My Dad would get fried chicken. I remember it like it was yesterday. I'm planning a trip up that way tomorrow. Haven't seen that area in about 30 years. Bet it's changed alot.

Mary

sweetnetmary

RE: Humpty Dumpty Burgers Fri, 06/16/06 11:46 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by jacknjill

While remodeling our kitchen here in Charlottesville our contractor found a cup behind the wal that had "Humpty Dumpty Burger, Home of the 15 Cent Hamburger" printed on it. That should pretty well settle it.

To Jacknjill,

I was wondering if the person who owned the cup with "Happy Humpty" on it might be willing to sell it. I would love to purchase it. It really brings back wonderful childhood memories. Thanks, Mary

BradleyB

RE: Humpty Dumpty Burgers Fri, 05/11/07 12:30 AM (permalink)
                      Hello!
                      There was a Happy Humpty Restaurant in downtown Defiance, Ohio back in
                      the 60's and 70's. I'm not sure when it was demolished but there's
                      something else on the lot now. When I was a kid my folks took my
                      sister and I there alot. They had good burgers, fries, & malts and
                      probably other fried foods and sandwiches. What I really remember was their outside dining area. It was 12 to 16 parking spots where you
                      parked your vehicle, rolled down your window, pushed a button on an
                      intercom system, and gave your order to the attendant inside the
                      restaurant. About 10 minutes later, a waitress brought your food out
                      to you on a tray which clipped onto the car window. There was a
                      backlit menu board at every station and the whole thing had a roof
                      over it.
                      Seems like their big hamburgers were called Big Guys. I think my
                      sister's ex worked there when he was a teen. Wish I had one of their
                      menus for old times' sake. I don't live too far from Saint Mary's, Ohio and will have to take a drive and see if their Happy Humpty is
                      still in existence.

leroybrown

RE: Humpty Dumpty Burgers Tue, 06/19/07 11:00 AM (permalink)
                        The Happy Humpty in St. Mary's, Ohio was torn down in the early 90's but I know it was still open up until at least 1989. The burgers were great..the logo/sign was even better. It was some freaky looking egg eating a hamburger.

Past Happy Humpty Employee

RE: Humpty Dumpty Burgers Thu, 03/26/09 1:21 PM (permalink)
                          I was an employee of Happy Humpty restaurants in the late 60s.
                          I worked at Happy Humpty #1 in Ft. Wayne, Indiana located on Packard Avenue.
                          It was originally a small gas station that the owner of Happy Humpty Restaurants converted into a drive-in.
                          The owner (Guy Scheib not sure of spelling) named his single hamburger (Little Guy) and his double hamburger (Big Guy).
                          The business really picked up in the summer when they had evening daisy ball leagues at the park across the street.
                          The owner expanded to a Big Boy style restaurant at a couple of other locations (one in Ft. Wayne, one in Decatur).
                          My fondest memories were not only working there but spending time with friends there during my early high school days.

Decatur Historian

• Total Posts: 2
                            RE: Humpty Dumpty Burgers Sat, 04/18/09 11:54 PM (permalink)
                            I have just started doing some research on the Happy Humpty restaurant chain and have run across this forum.  4  of my older brothers all worked at the Happy Humpty in Decatur Indiana in the 1960's and early 1970's.  It was a drive- in with an inside dining area with the usual burgers, fries and shakes. I believe it was a small area chain that started in Ft Wayne and had locations as previously mentioned here.  The sign, I remember well and in fact do have a post card of it and the Decatur building, the sign featured a motorized rocking Humpty Dumpty figure eating a burger and sitting on the edge of his wall like he is ready to fall.  These post card show up on eBay now and then sold by my last brother to work there. The Decatur restuarant closed in the mid 1970's. The building was then converted into a family style restaurant called Country Farms, the dining area was enlarged by closing in what was once the carports for the drive- in diners.  Country Farms closed in the 1990's and the building was torn down to make way for a Burger King.  During the 1960's it seemed that every teenager in town had worked at the Happy Humpty at one time or another, which everyone knew it better for it's local nickname "The Dump".

Winterseller

• Total Posts: 6
                              RE: Humpty Dumpty Burgers Thu, 08/27/09 3:23 PM (permalink)
                              Actually these were restraunts locally owned in Charlottesville, Virginia by John Crafax in the 1960s.  There were two of them, one downtown on Market Street which is now Guadalajara restraunt and the other on US 29 North across from the Ridge Drive-In, which is now a Exxon station across from a Kroger.  Their specialties were milk shakes, MacDonalds-like cheap hamburgers, fries with paparika, and an absolute killer double decker barbeque sandwich!  Both sites were teenager hangouts much as you saw in "American Grafitti", but were walk ups without curb service.  To my recolection, they went out of business in the early to mid 70's

Decatur Historian

RE: Humpty Dumpty Burgers Sun, 01/3/10 1:31 AM (permalink)

Attached Image(s)

mcmurray666

Re:Humpty Dumpty Burgers Sat, 01/30/10 2:09 PM (permalink)
                                  Some insight on what happened to the 'Dump' in Decatur - it became a Lucky Steer Restaurant.  I worked there when I was 15 for $1 per hour until I graduated from Belmont in 77.  Lucky Steer and Happy Humpty were part of the same company - Guy Scheib was the top dog.  I met him once when we were closed for renovations - it was the same time I found a box of ash trays for both Happy Humpty and Lucky Steer and I still have one of each now.  It must have been a Country Farms after it was a  Lucky Steer. 

Winterseller

• Total Posts: 6
                                    Re:Humpty Dumpty Burgers Wed, 05/5/10 12:18 PM (permalink)
                                    The Charlottesville Hunpty Dumpty resturants were locally owned by the Crafax brothers.  There was one downtown  on Market Street and one at the corner of Emmet Street and Hydraulic Road accross from the Ridge Drive In Theater.  They had burgers very much in the style of Hardees, but had an incredible double decker Bar B Que sandwich that was awesome.

subaru008

Re:Humpty Dumpty Burgers Sat, 07/9/11 11:10 AM (permalink)
                                      I used to work for The Happy Humpty in Portland Indiana in 1969. It was a very cool town hang out. Burgers and shakes, Steaks, my favorite was the Ham Dandy Sandwich......This was my very first job I was 14 years old at the time.......I always wondered what happened to the restaurant.  My older sister also worked there she has a menu...........................Fond memories, Susan Ellis,  email freeandfloats@sbcglobal.net

subaru008

RE: Humpty Dumpty Burgers Sat, 07/9/11 11:12 AM (permalink)
                                        Exactly a Humpty Dumpty looking egg eating a hamburger, thats on the menu

pitaaaaaaaaa

• Total Posts: 13
                                          RE: Humpty Dumpty Burgers Mon, 04/2/12 9:35 PM (permalink)
                                          LOL.

Easier said than done(?)

I can only imagine how many toothpicks they had to use to stick it into place, if any? o_O

This is definitely a buyer for its name itself, that's for sure :)

jacko

RE: Humpty Dumpty Burgers Tue, 04/24/12 5:56 PM (permalink)
                                            I found this thread after just finishing an old paperback I found in a thrift store by Guy Schier called How to be a success without failing.  It tells his life story from shy farmboy to part owner of the Lucky Steer chain.   He was extremely shy and downtrodden as a youth, but determined, and he risked all his savings and more on turning a abandoned Petrol station in Fort Wayne into a soft ice cream drive in and it 'boomed' and he was quickly able to buy out his partner and purchase a house.   Later it grew into a chain called Happy Humpty Drive In Restaurants and he was extremely properous, and also a very committed Christian.   Its actaully a very good read on its own as it was amazing what he overcame but it does contain a lot of information on Happy Humpty.

wheregreggeats.com

RE: Humpty Dumpty Burgers Tue, 04/24/12 6:58 PM (permalink)
                                              How does an out of the blue post like this one engender SO MANY first-time posters ???
                                              I'm not implying anything.  I just can't help wonder.
                                              The time and date stamps of posts make it even more bewildering.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                                • Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                                                RE: Humpty Dumpty Burgers Wed, 04/25/12 7:09 AM (permalink)
                                                People  Google things, and often Roadfood comes up. Thats how I found the sight years ago.........Kind of a no-brainer.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                  • No New Messages
                                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                  • Read Message
                                                  • Post New Thread
                                                  • Reply to message
                                                  • Post New Poll
                                                  • Submit Vote
                                                  • Post reward post
                                                  • Delete my own posts
                                                  • Delete my own threads
                                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com