The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 milkshake bar

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 50 of 50
Author Message
ChiTownDiner

RE: milkshake bar Sat, 10/28/06 4:56 PM (permalink)
Was that frozen concoction a malt cup of some kind? I remember something like it.
 
#31
    chicagostyledog

    • Total Posts: 3218
    • Joined: 9/10/2003
    • Location: Hot Dog University Chicago, IL
    RE: milkshake bar Mon, 10/30/06 9:56 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ChiTownDiner

    Was that frozen concoction a malt cup of some kind? I remember something like it.

    That was known as a "Frosty Malt." My dad sold them at his drug store in the 50's and I ate more than my share.

    CSD
     
    #32
      frogger67

      • Total Posts: 156
      • Joined: 8/29/2006
      • Location: Arlington, VA
      RE: milkshake bar Tue, 11/7/06 5:03 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by lisajocole

      Did they used to have a t.v. commericial for Milkshake bars that had a little kid saying "it's thickerer, yeah, thickerer" ??? I used to love those bars but can't rememeber if that's the one that went with the commercial. Were they kind of thick with air bubbles in the chocolate?


      The chocolate bar with the air bubbles was called Choco-Lite and was one of my favorites. It had a "far out" candy wrapper that looked like something out of Willy Wonka. I remember it being promoted as "less fattening" than the average chocolate bar, but it was sure good!
       
      #33
        kisscat69

        • Total Posts: 33
        • Joined: 7/17/2007
        • Location: Fayetteville, GA
        RE: milkshake bar Wed, 08/1/07 5:57 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by marcbla

        when i wes a kid i remember a candy bar called milkshake, i don't remember what was in it but it tasted really good when frozen, anybody remember this?

        Hershey bought out the hollywood candy company in 1996. they kept making the Zero and Payday bars. I contacted hershey by email yesterday and am waiting for a response as to weather they got the recipe for the milkshake bar as part of the purchase. I will let ev1 know what i find out. I too would like to see them bring the chocolate milkshake bar back.
         
        #34
          rumsongirl

          • Total Posts: 31
          • Joined: 8/25/2007
          • Location: clinton, MA
          RE: milkshake bar Sat, 08/25/07 12:12 AM (permalink)
          i use to get the milkshake bar at the beach, frozen....loved them....if memory serves me, the last one i had was in the early 70's
           
          #35
            kisscat69

            • Total Posts: 33
            • Joined: 7/17/2007
            • Location: Fayetteville, GA
            RE: milkshake bar Sat, 08/25/07 9:02 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by kisscat69

            quote:
            Originally posted by marcbla

            when i wes a kid i remember a candy bar called milkshake, i don't remember what was in it but it tasted really good when frozen, anybody remember this?

            Hershey bought out the hollywood candy company in 1996. they kept making the Zero and Payday bars. I contacted hershey by email yesterday and am waiting for a response as to weather they got the recipe for the milkshake bar as part of the purchase. I will let ev1 know what i find out. I too would like to see them bring the chocolate milkshake bar back.

            i got a response from hershey and here it is:

            Thank you for contacting The Hershey Company. Your comments about The
            Hershey Company are important.

            Unfortunately we do not have any information about a Milkshake bar.
            Your interest in our company is appreciated.

            Xaviera Murph
            Consumer Representative

            Well I'll just have to keep looking some one has to have the recipe


             
            #36
              Rudedude

              • Total Posts: 3
              • Joined: 1/9/2008
              • Location: Chicago, IL
              RE: milkshake bar Thu, 01/10/08 7:51 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Adjudicator

              Back in '63-64, there was also a frozen concoction that you could either eat with a spoon or let it thaw out & it would become a milkshake. Anyone else remember these?

              ALSO. Welcome to RF, Sosilly


              Could you be thinking of Choc-O-Malt's. I used to get these at the local drug store. You had to remember to grab one of the paper wrapped wooden spoons to eat it.
               
              #37
                Big_g

                RE: milkshake bar Thu, 01/10/08 8:23 AM (permalink)
                Just stumbled on to this site.... http://www.candywrappermuseum.com/hollywood.html

                Kinda fun, enjoy the walk down memory lane.
                 
                #38
                  chicagostyledog

                  • Total Posts: 3218
                  • Joined: 9/10/2003
                  • Location: Hot Dog University Chicago, IL
                  RE: milkshake bar Fri, 01/11/08 12:25 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by chicagostyledog

                  quote:
                  Originally posted by ChiTownDiner

                  Was that frozen concoction a malt cup of some kind? I remember something like it.

                  That was known as a "Frosty Malt." My dad sold them at his drug store in the 50's and I ate more than my share.

                  CSD


                  In the lyrics from "A Dying Cubs Fan's Last Request" by Steve Goodman, you find the following line: "Give every fan two bags of peanuts and a frosty malt and I'll be ready to die."
                  http://www.chicagosuburbannews.com/geneva/archive/x982344293 and don't forget the wooden spoon.

                  CSD
                   
                  #39
                    ohiomom

                    • Total Posts: 2
                    • Joined: 1/26/2008
                    • Location: westerville, OH
                    RE: milkshake bar Mon, 01/28/08 4:01 PM (permalink)





                    quote:
                    Originally posted by kisscat69

                    quote:
                    Originally posted by kisscat69

                    quote:
                    Originally posted by marcbla

                    when i wes a kid i remember a candy bar called milkshake, i don't remember what was in it but it tasted really good when frozen, anybody remember this?

                    Hershey bought out the hollywood candy company in 1996. they kept making the Zero and Payday bars. I contacted hershey by email yesterday and am waiting for a response as to weather they got the recipe for the milkshake bar as part of the purchase. I will let ev1 know what i find out. I too would like to see them bring the chocolate milkshake bar back.

                    i got a response from hershey and here it is:

                    Thank you for contacting The Hershey Company. Your comments about The
                    Hershey Company are important.

                    Unfortunately we do not have any information about a Milkshake bar.
                    Your interest in our company is appreciated.

                    Xaviera Murph
                    Consumer Representative

                    Well I'll just have to keep looking some one has to have the recipe





                    Hey I DO remember the Milkshake candybars. The commerical went " Milkshake...boom boom....milkshake...boom boom....the___________ candy bar. I think there were 2 cows on it with pink grass skirts." I DO SO MISS and loved them very much.
                     
                    #40
                      waltpiii

                      RE: milkshake bar Mon, 01/28/08 4:37 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by ChiTownDiner

                      Was that frozen concoction a malt cup of some kind? I remember something like it.


                      No, this is a candy bar. I do remember the frozen cup, but I do not recall the name.

                      Walt
                       
                      #41
                        chavette

                        • Total Posts: 1
                        • Joined: 1/30/2008
                        • Location: New York, NY
                        RE: milkshake bar Wed, 01/30/08 9:28 AM (permalink)
                        Milkshake bars sound a bit gross...
                        I prefer good old chocolate bars any day!
                        Which do you guys like best? i did a poll with the major snack bars, just go to the link and vote for your favorite: http://www.pollsb.com/polls/poll/5969/which-chocolate-bar
                         
                        #42
                          Ivyhouse

                          • Total Posts: 329
                          • Joined: 3/27/2006
                          • Location: Bethesda, MD
                          RE: milkshake bar Wed, 01/30/08 9:42 AM (permalink)
                          I grew up on Long Island, NY in the 50's and 60's. A frozen Milkshake bar was a treat that we got at the concession when we went to the beach. My recollection is that it was similar to a 3 Musketeers bar.
                           
                          #43
                            waltpiii

                            RE: milkshake bar Wed, 01/30/08 9:57 AM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by Ivyhouse

                            I grew up on Long Island, NY in the 50's and 60's. A frozen Milkshake bar was a treat that we got at the concession when we went to the beach. My recollection is that it was similar to a 3 Musketeers bar.


                            I agree but the taste was more like a malt.

                            Walt
                             
                            #44
                              blundy40610

                              • Total Posts: 1
                              • Joined: 7/8/2008
                              • Location: springdale, AR
                              RE: milkshake bar Tue, 07/8/08 10:32 PM (permalink)
                              Today, I was just talking to a co-worker about this very nummy subject. I can add the Milkshake frozen candybar came on a stick. If you were lucky the stick would have a free stamped on it. You know what that would mean. Your next frozen milkshake bar was free.
                              Does anyone remember the Seven-Up Candy Bar? Another one of my favorites along with Black Jack Gum. Kids now-a-days don't know what they are missing.

                               
                              #45
                                Casey3557

                                • Total Posts: 15
                                • Joined: 5/21/2008
                                • Location: Philly suburbs, PA
                                RE: milkshake bar Thu, 07/17/08 11:06 AM (permalink)

                                Originally posted by anchovies

                                If I remember correctly, Clark bars tasted like peanut butter covered in chocolate. They remind me of the texture of a Butterfinger

                                Clark Bars tasted a lot like 5th Avenue bars, which are still available. The original Clark Bars are still available around here (Philly metro area), but they do not taste quite as good as they used to, IMHO.
                                 
                                #46
                                  denim

                                  • Total Posts: 1
                                  • Joined: 8/5/2008
                                  • Location: South Hadley, MA
                                  RE: milkshake bar Tue, 08/5/08 3:44 PM (permalink)
                                  Greetings! I just signed up so I could participate in this thread.

                                  Milkshake bars were neat. I last saw them in a vending machine in 1993. Since they weren't frozen, they weren't very popular there. I tried to tell people they needed to freeze them, but with, shall we say, limited success. Oh well.

                                  I first saw them in the mid-1970s near Cleveland.
                                   
                                  #47
                                    uncledaveyo

                                    • Total Posts: 599
                                    • Joined: 7/3/2006
                                    • Location: Northern California
                                    RE: milkshake bar Tue, 08/5/08 4:14 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by chicagostyledog

                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by ChiTownDiner

                                    Was that frozen concoction a malt cup of some kind? I remember something like it.

                                    That was known as a "Frosty Malt." My dad sold them at his drug store in the 50's and I ate more than my share.

                                    CSD


                                    "Frosted Malt" - the container said "sip it with a straw, eat it with a spoon..."
                                     
                                    #48
                                      donjazone

                                      • Total Posts: 1
                                      • Joined: 4/14/2011
                                      • Location: Sacramento, CA
                                      Re:milkshake bar Thu, 04/14/11 8:26 PM (permalink)
                                      Milkshake bars are my all-time favorite candy bar.  I never had one frozen, but they were good at room temp, for sure.
                                       
                                      #49
                                        DavidEMartin

                                        • Total Posts: 173
                                        • Joined: 5/2/2006
                                        • Location: Milwaukee WI
                                        Re:milkshake bar Tue, 05/31/11 11:45 AM (permalink)
                                        My friends and I discovered frozen Milkshake bars in 5th grade (1966-7). There was a Mom-n-Pop at the 260th Ave bus stop near Euclid High. Being kids, we'd go looking for something to eat after All-City Choir rehearsal, even though we were all on our way home to dinner. The store had a freezer in the front and we found the Milkshake Bars sitting there with sticks inserted. I don't remember who tried one first but we all became converts.
                                        Three Musketeers frozen.... just not as good. Halloway must have become aware of their sales as a frozen treat. They sold 6-packs of the bars with six wooden sticks included.
                                         
                                         
                                        #50
                                          Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                          Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 50 of 50

                                          Jump to:

                                          Current active users

                                          There are 0 members and 2 guests.

                                          Icon Legend and Permission

                                          • New Messages
                                          • No New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                          • Read Message
                                          • Post New Thread
                                          • Reply to message
                                          • Post New Poll
                                          • Submit Vote
                                          • Post reward post
                                          • Delete my own posts
                                          • Delete my own threads
                                          • Rate post

                                          2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com