The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

The White Rose System

Puff-Boyardi

• Total Posts: 4
The White Rose System Wed, 04/23/03 12:43 PM (permalink)
Another great burger place is near Rutger's it was called The White Rose System. It was at 154 WoodBridge Avenue in Highland Park New Jersey, I think woodbridge Avenue is also known as Route 7.The line was always out the door. One of the best burgers I have ever had. In particular the Texas burger with a fried-egg on it was superb and the California Cheeseburger was the best. I wonder if it is still as good as it seemed ro wheather it was all that beer that made them seem so good? It was funny to see dozens and dozens of obviously drunk college students on line with State and local cops at 2 in the morning waiting for a burger. This was before the wide spread use of DWI Stops, in the early 1980's.

renfrew

• Total Posts: 696
    RE: The White Rose System Mon, 05/12/03 1:23 PM (permalink)
    I grew up in Highland Park and the place is still around on Woodbridge ave. Apparently it is as good as ever.

wallhd

RE: The White Rose System Mon, 05/12/03 7:14 PM (permalink)
      So many posts bring back memories from the dusty caverns (or attic) of my past.

During most of my time at Corenll in Ithaca--1963-68, there was a diner on West State St called Obies. Obies specialty was a "bo-burger" This consisted of a cheeseburger with a bunch of finely chopped fried onions with a fried egg on top.

I remember being in Chef's Diner on Rt 14 between Watkins Glen and Montour Falls with a fraternity brother about 3.30 one Sunday morning and ordering a bo-burger. The waitress didn't bat an eyelash and said "you guys must be from Ithaca-way".

As one of my coworkers said a few years ago refering to me: "His head is so full of so much useless trivia"! Full yes, useless NOT!

Wally

wallhd

RE: The White Rose System Mon, 05/12/03 7:15 PM (permalink)
        By the way (no pun intended!, Sorry Randy)....

How many more posts to I have to make before I outgrow being a junior burger?

Wally

Sundancer7

RE: The White Rose System Mon, 05/12/03 7:19 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by wallhd

By the way (no pun intended!, Sorry Randy)....

How many more posts to I have to make before I outgrow being a junior burger?

In 24 more post, you will be a full ranked hamburger. Keep it up.

Paul E. Smith
          Knoxville, TN

Wally

JakerDog

• Total Posts: 204
            RE: The White Rose System Thu, 12/6/07 2:01 PM (permalink)
            Wow...White Rose system. Cali-Cheese-Fries-Coke-Ketchup on the fries. Not only did I eat there during my Rutgers days but I was pulled over in those DWI stops.

Two great White Rose system memories:

Standing outside with friends practicing our orders, because by the time the last syllable is out of your mouth, the order is in front of you. It was like instant food, but there was still a line.

When we weren’t lucky enough to get a seat inside, we would eat outside in our cars. The fries were always GREAT, and they came in a wax bag. One time while leaning on the car eating I set the bag on the roof. The wax/grease circle let on the car roof lasted months. It was the only place the water still would bead up.

I actually have a paper hat from that place. How and why I have it I couldn’t tell you, but I still have it in the “College” box…..in the basement.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com