The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Regional Descriptive Differences in Menu Items..

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15059
  • Roadfood Insider
Regional Descriptive Differences in Menu Items.. Wed, 04/23/03 1:53 PM (permalink)
As we wander around the country, we have noticed that some items are 'called' by different names in certain parts of the country. Some examples-
1. Soft Drinks (carbonated)- POP- SODA- SodaPop- Coke- Tonic etc

2. Coffee with cream- Coffee regular, coffee light, probably not a good example due to the freakish nature at which the ingredients of your $6 a cup coffee becomes a tongue-twisting list of spices and additives in todays specialized market.
3. If you want "stuff" on your burger (or in some places- Burg) do you ask for them by item, or regular, or dressed?
4. I know what a Tenderloin is on this board...But travel across the USA and you can find them in beef-pork-veal-lamb-and probably Tofu. They are cut from the loin in some places, and cheap cuts-beaten to death and breaded in others, and breaded burgers in a third location.

My point being, One of the fun things about exploring the roadfood world is the challenge to translate the local menus into your (my) concept of what to order
OK, What items are unique to your region?
When I asked for a Tonic in Northern Mass. in my college days, I was handed a MOXIE..that to me, is definitely a Tonic !!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com