Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Wiping the plate

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 48 of 48
hermitt4d

• Total Posts: 367
RE: Wiping the plate Wed, 08/11/04 6:18 PM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by axvawe

When eating Mexican I always use a tortilla to sop up the different sauces.

The other day I went to Otilia's, a mid-priced Mex-Mex place, and settled on Conchinita Pibil. It was very good - not the best I ever had but better than most. The pork was swimming in an awesome sauce which I couldn't get enough of. I used tortillas throughout the meal to sop up the sauce but when the meat was all gone, there was still a lot of good sauce left and only 2 measly corn tortillas, which hadn't been very good at soaking up the sauce. I hit upon the idea of submerging them completely, letting them soak a bit, then cutting them up before bringing them to my mouth.

It didn't work very well - they got soggy and just pulled apart in small pieces.

I was nearly alone in the restaurant, the only other diners at the far end of the room. I thought about the dilemma for just a moment, then picked up my iced tea spoon, which hadn't been used, tilted the platter a little so the sauce ran to one end and slurped up a couple of spoonfuls.

The wait staff and hostess smiled and seemed impressed by my diligence; they all urged me to come back soon. Of course, maybe they just want others to be able to witness the spectacle .

I was eating alone; I'm not sure I would have done that if there were tablemates or even if there were other diners at the next table.

Next time, I'll try to remember to specify flour tortillas, which I think will soak up more.

Oh yes. I did not saucer and blow on my coffee. Nor did I stick my thumb in the Cream of Poblano soup to see if it was too hot. I'm not completely without manners.

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
    RE: Wiping the plate Wed, 08/11/04 6:43 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

If you can do it with biscotti, I don't see why you can't do it with a doughnut. Although personally, I never liked to do it myself.

Because the whole point of biscotti is that they are "double-baked" to make them very dry so they won't fall apart when dunked. Doughnuts, being soft, turn to mush or other unpleasant things when moistened. I don't oppose dunking doughnuts for anyone who finds it pleasant, but I don't and there is a difference with biscotti--love dunking those, especially the chocolate covered ones so the a bit of chocolate melts into the coffee giving you sort of an instant cafe mocha.

BT

RE: Wiping the plate Wed, 08/11/04 6:49 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by hermitt4d

The other day I went to Otilia's, a mid-priced Mex-Mex place, and settled on Conchinita Pibil. It was very good - not the best I ever had but better than most. The pork was swimming in an awesome sauce which I couldn't get enough of. I used tortillas throughout the meal to sop up the sauce but when the meat was all gone, there was still a lot of good sauce left and only 2 measly corn tortillas, which hadn't been very good at soaking up the sauce. I hit upon the idea of submerging them completely, letting them soak a bit, then cutting them up before bringing them to my mouth.

It didn't work very well - they got soggy and just pulled apart in small pieces.

I was nearly alone in the restaurant, the only other diners at the far end of the room. I thought about the dilemma for just a moment, then picked up my iced tea spoon, which hadn't been used, tilted the platter a little so the sauce ran to one end and slurped up a couple of spoonfuls.

The wait staff and hostess smiled and seemed impressed by my diligence; they all urged me to come back soon. Of course, maybe they just want others to be able to witness the spectacle .

I was eating alone; I'm not sure I would have done that if there were tablemates or even if there were other diners at the next table.

Next time, I'll try to remember to specify flour tortillas, which I think will soak up more.

Oh yes. I did not saucer and blow on my coffee. Nor did I stick my thumb in the Cream of Poblano soup to see if it was too hot. I'm not completely without manners.

Although generally strongly supportive of wiping, sopping and any other darn way you chose to get that fabulous gravy/juice/jus/sauce or whatever that you paid for into your mouth, I find it LEAST necessary in Mexican restaurants because Mexican red rice mixes well with almost any liquid, soaks it up and makes SUPERB eating. Of course, I generally do accompany the sauced rice with an occasional bite of a buttered corn tortilla.

Ort. Carlton.

RE: Wiping the plate Wed, 08/11/04 8:34 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Ah, well, anyone here like their coffee saucered and blowed?

Michael,
        My Grandpa Carlton referred to it as "sassered and blowed." He was more literate than that, you understand, but it was an old-time Florida cracker expression, and it's still used in what little back country remains in Central Florida.
        Now, me - I put ice in mine to cool it. Learned that from a friend from Rhode Island who loved iced coffee, and have done it ever since.
        Sassily, Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.

Ort. Carlton.

RE: Wiping the plate Wed, 08/11/04 8:41 PM (permalink)
          quote:

quote:
          Originally posted by cleveland66

quote:

Ah, well, anyone here like their coffee saucered and blowed?

As I recall, it used to be OK to saucer and blow your coffee, but you weren't supposed to fan it with your hat.

Dearfolk,
          My father's uncle, Guess Altman, actually did just that. "Guess, that's impolite!" Grandma Carlton, his younger sister, admonished him loudly (he was nearly about stone deaf) when we were visiting.
          "Beats gettin' scalded," Guess mumbled in reply, fanning his shapeless hat (it looked very much like Jed Clampett's on "The Beverly Hillbillies") to and fro lickety-split over his coffee.
          Guess was a real, live Florida cowboy, and was - believe it or not - the subject of several of Frederic Remington's supposedly-Western paintings, many of which were actually done in Florida!
          Thanks for reviving that memory.
          Nostalgically, Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.

hermitt4d

RE: Wiping the plate Wed, 08/11/04 8:50 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by BT

quote:
            Originally posted by hermitt4d

The other day I went to Otilia's, a mid-priced Mex-Mex place, and settled on Conchinita Pibil. It was very good - not the best I ever had but better than most. The pork was swimming in an awesome sauce which I couldn't get enough of. I used tortillas --yada, yada, yada...

Although generally strongly supportive of wiping, sopping and any other darn way you chose to get that fabulous gravy/juice/jus/sauce or whatever that you paid for into your mouth, I find it LEAST necessary in Mexican restaurants because Mexican red rice mixes well with almost any liquid, soaks it up and makes SUPERB eating. Of course, I generally do accompany the sauced rice with an occasional bite of a buttered corn tortilla.

Not possible in this instance. The sides were a smallish portion of refried black beans and a generous portion of pickled red onions and jalapenos, both on a separate plate. Starting with the soup as I did I did not expect to be able to get down a desert, but the portions were modest and I went for a Cuatro Leches cake (33.333% better than Tres Leches). The sauce was very good but I did NOT even consider dipping the cake in it!

SteveB9

• Total Posts: 46
              RE: Wiping the plate Sat, 08/14/04 6:49 PM (permalink)
              Thank goodness many of the stupid etiquette rules of the past are no more. If you are paying for the food, and it is good, you certainly have the right to sop up any gravies/sauces with bread! I have never understood some of the rules of the years of my youth (50s and 60s)

brentk

• Total Posts: 251
                RE: Wiping the plate Sat, 08/14/04 8:54 PM (permalink)
                Call me old fashioned, but there are settings at which proper manners are important.

Would you folks really sop up a gravy with bread in a restaurant setting with non-family members?

I was well-schooled by Emily Post and know when I am breaking the rules. I'll break them at home (as my wife often reminds me) and occasionally at a restaurant, but never when outside of my immediate family.

BT

RE: Wiping the plate Sat, 08/14/04 11:24 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by Brent Kulman

Call me old fashioned, but there are settings at which proper manners are important.

Would you folks really sop up a gravy with bread in a restaurant setting with non-family members?

Absolutely. Do it all the time. Emily Post be d_mned if she disapproves of that. Sorry, but like I said, it's an increasingly multi-culti world and this prohibition of sopping is a strictly WASP/Yankee notion. It's not even Anglo-Saxon, 'cause I think lots of sopping happens in Britain. And sopping not only happens, but is expected and even promoted in much of the rest of the world. My suspicion is that its condemnation is a product of social climbing pretentions in the Victorian era. Reasonable etiquette is based on an effort not to offend others and I fail to see how sopping, if done noiselessly and carefully, can offend anyone who isn't too easily offended. Anyway, dining to me is a pleasureable experience that I wouldn't care to share with anyone too inhibited to sop.

By the way, don't try to tell me sopping is considered especially horrific to a Carolina gentleman, because I did some of my most enthusiastic sopping while a student at Duke. But I will acknowledge there's probably little worth sopping in Chapel Hill so if you went there, it wouldn't surprise me you're against it.

Lucky Bishop

• Total Posts: 1049
                    RE: Wiping the plate Sun, 08/15/04 12:47 AM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by BT

quote:
                    Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

If you can do it with biscotti, I don't see why you can't do it with a doughnut. Although personally, I never liked to do it myself.

Because the whole point of biscotti is that they are "double-baked" to make them very dry so they won't fall apart when dunked. Doughnuts, being soft, turn to mush or other unpleasant things when moistened. I don't oppose dunking doughnuts for anyone who finds it pleasant, but I don't and there is a difference with biscotti--love dunking those, especially the chocolate covered ones so the a bit of chocolate melts into the coffee giving you sort of an instant cafe mocha.

I'm aware of the whole point of biscotti. What I was saying is that if dunking biscotti into coffee is acceptable, then the concept of dunking pastries into coffee is clearly not forbidden by etiquette.

brentk

• Total Posts: 251
                      RE: Wiping the plate Sun, 08/15/04 8:33 AM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by BT
                      Sorry, but like I said, it's an increasingly multi-culti world and this prohibition of sopping is a strictly WASP/Yankee notion. It's not even Anglo-Saxon, 'cause I think lots of sopping happens in Britain.

I did a little research and learned that sopping is unacceptable in Britain unless one uses a fork. The arbiters of etiquette in the US follow the same standard. So, proper sopping is not strictly a WASP/Yankee matter, but a practice that is governed by the same standards on both sides of the pond. I'm glad to discover that there is an acceptable way to sop and will enthusiastically embrace the practice.

quote:
                      Anyway, dining to me is a pleasureable experience that I wouldn't care to share with anyone too inhibited to sop.

Equating etiquette with inhibitions is a sophistic pairing. Of course, the opposite is almost always the case.

quote:
                      By the way, don't try to tell me sopping is considered especially horrific to a Carolina gentleman, because I did some of my most enthusiastic sopping while a student at Duke.

I wasn't aware that there were any Carolina gentleman at Duke. I thought they were all from New Jersey.

quote:
                      But I will acknowledge there's probably little worth sopping in Chapel Hill so if you went there, it wouldn't surprise me you're against it.

I thought that Duke students did all of their sopping in Chapel Hill, given the lack of entertainment options in Durham.

Next topic: When cutting food into bite-size portions, do you hold your fork like a cello?

hermitt4d

RE: Wiping the plate Sun, 08/15/04 9:45 AM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by Brent Kulman

quote:
                        Originally posted by BT

Next topic: When cutting food into bite-size portions, do you hold your fork like a cello?

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
                          RE: Wiping the plate Sun, 08/15/04 10:56 AM (permalink)
                          Wiping the plate

After eatin' some of my country fried steak & home-made "Cardiac Arrest" (patent pending ) mashed taters I usually lick the plate...

4fish

• Total Posts: 214
                            RE: Wiping the plate Sun, 08/15/04 4:30 PM (permalink)
                            Is sopping politically correct in Mexico? I had a very nice chicken mole for lunch today at a new Mexican restaurant in town, but I didn't have a spoon, so I rolled up the tortillas served with it and used them to mop up the delicious mole sauce. The staff didn't seem to take exception, but then I always wonder if they just think "all gringos are crazy" anyway

yumbo

• Total Posts: 330
                              RE: Wiping the plate Sun, 08/15/04 11:43 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by meowzart

Somebody once told me that in Italy, wiping your plate clean with bread is a complement to the chef.

An friend of mine from Naples confirmed this. He'd been raised to clean his plate every time. Then he travelled to Yugoslavia, where he learned that cleaning your plate is a signal to your host that you want another helping.

yumbo

• Total Posts: 330
                                RE: Wiping the plate Sun, 08/15/04 11:46 PM (permalink)
                                But WWJD? (What would Julia do?)

Lucky Bishop

• Total Posts: 1049
                                  RE: Wiping the plate Mon, 08/16/04 3:23 AM (permalink)
                                  Julia, bless her, would tell Emily Post and her followers to get bent, and that's what we love about her.

Sasaku

• Total Posts: 63
                                    RE: Wiping the plate Sat, 09/11/04 7:41 PM (permalink)
                                    I do it with everything, garlic bread and spagetti and sauce, sandwich into drippings, everything. It inhances the dining expierence.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                      Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 48 of 48

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                      • No New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                      • Read Message
                                      • Post New Thread
                                      • Reply to message
                                      • Post New Poll
                                      • Submit Vote
                                      • Post reward post
                                      • Delete my own posts
                                      • Delete my own threads
                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com