The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Clamming up

redtressed

• Total Posts: 1017
Clamming up Sat, 08/7/04 6:03 PM (permalink)
don't know anything 'bout this place, but thought it may have significance to some of you.....

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&ncid=519&e=2&u=/ap/20040806/ap_on_re_us/clam_broth_house

wodmiller

• Total Posts: 1
    RE: Clamming up Sat, 08/7/04 6:52 PM (permalink)
    Clam Broth House was one of the true treats in greater NY. In the early 60's my kids and I would shop at Cheese of all Nations and the Washington Street Market, catch the ferry to Hoboken for lunch at the Clam Broth House. Wonderful clams that my kids (born 60 & 62)used for their seafood training table. A great loss.

seafarer john

RE: Clamming up Sun, 08/8/04 12:05 PM (permalink)
      I'm sorry to learn that the famous old Clambroth House ( in fact, I'd forgotten the name) is gone. I remember wandering into that place late on a cold winter night to have a beer. I was on my second beer when I realized that I was standing in sawdust and clamshells and looked around and saw men (I cant ever remember a woman n the place on my half dozen visits) drawing clamjuice out of a large urn at the end of the bar. I drew off some hot clamjuice -free- and was amazed at its restorative powers on such an unpleasant night.

I remember it was very close to a stop of the "Hudson Tubes" - but can't remember which.
      And, it seemed to be frequented by longshoremen and shipyard workers, so it must have been close to the Hoboken docks- I was a merchant seaman at the time , so some ship I was on must have been docked near the place...

Cheers, John

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
        • No New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
        • Locked w/ New Messages
        • Locked w/o New Messages
        • Read Message
        • Post New Thread
        • Reply to message
        • Post New Poll
        • Submit Vote
        • Post reward post
        • Delete my own posts
        • Delete my own threads
        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com