The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Rotisserie chicken a la Columbia

hermitt4d

• Total Posts: 367
Rotisserie chicken a la Columbia Sat, 08/7/04 7:08 PM (permalink)
Rotisserie chicken is apparently very popular in Central and South America, especially Columbia, and we have a several places here. One opened near my place of work and the blurb in the paper said they spritzed their chicken with lemon-lime soda as it was roasting and that it was common among street vendors and fast food shops in Columbia to use various soft drinks for flavoring.

That place didn't last long (teenintsy servings and long waits probably part of the reason) but another place, Pollo Riko, has been in operation perhaps as long as 15 years and now has three locations. They claim to marinate the chicken overnight in beer and a secret blend of 30 spices, then cook it over mesquite and it's really good. Very tasty, large portions, very modest prices. They have some typical American sides (potato salad, slaw, rice) plus fried plantains, yucca and cassava, arepas, etc. But the best reason to go is the chicken itself; it's probably the best in town. It's counter service, always very neat tho a little spartan decor. You can get whole chickens or meals withs sides; they do a lot of take-out business.

I went to still another place that says they marinate the birds in Fanta Fresa -- Fanta strawberry flavored soda! - then cook over mesquite. I got smaller pieces and it was pretty dried out so I haven't gone back to that one yet but I have acquaintances that like it better and I'll have to give it another try.

I like to pick up a rotisserie chicken at the supermarket or Sam's occasionally, but these places offer a tasty and inexpensive alternative.

meowzart

• Total Posts: 773
    RE: Rotisserie chicken a la Columbia Mon, 08/9/04 1:18 PM (permalink)
    I love S. American rotisserie chicken!!! It is so delicious! The place I frequent near me is a small local chain called Crisp & Juicy. The name is what the give you--crisp and juicy chicken. It comes with a slightly spicy creamy dipping sauce. You have a choice between french fries and fried yucca as well. They have lots of other stuff that I haven't tried yet either. I am always needing a hit of their chicken. I swear, once you've had it the stuff at the supermarket or the national chains becomes only a faint memory!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
      • No New Messages
      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
      • Locked w/ New Messages
      • Locked w/o New Messages
      • Read Message
      • Post New Thread
      • Reply to message
      • Post New Poll
      • Submit Vote
      • Post reward post
      • Delete my own posts
      • Delete my own threads
      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com