The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Bologna in the Belly

rumbelly

• Total Posts: 235
Bologna in the Belly Mon, 08/9/04 1:14 PM (permalink)
We have a very large Elvis tribute festival here every year. For our guests I do a whole hog roast to go with the banana and peanut butter canapes and other weird things Elvis.

This year I took a whole bologna and during the last few hours of cooking wired it up in the cavity of the whole hog on the spit. The pig fat basted the tube and got nice and crispy/smoky on the outside. Even the people who have issues with this maligned, often misunderstood food hunkered in for a taste and then seconds.

Does anyone else have strange ideas in BBQ land? Let me know I'm not alone in my perversions.

Jim in NC

• Total Posts: 186
    RE: Bologna in the Belly Mon, 08/9/04 1:47 PM (permalink)
    Barbecue bologna is popular in and around Memphis so it ain't so strange. I wish it would catch on around here!

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
      RE: Bologna in the Belly Mon, 08/9/04 2:51 PM (permalink)
      Hey Rumbelly, Is it always on the day of his death? I remember that moment as well as JFK's assasination. I think it really made me feel old instead of a kid for the first time, and I was all of 25.Did you serve the BBQ'ed bologna as a sandwich, or with peanut butter and banana toppings?

emsmom

• Total Posts: 955
        RE: Bologna in the Belly Mon, 08/9/04 3:38 PM (permalink)
        I too was 25 and pregnant with my daughter. She is now a School teacher and when she was telling some of her children that she was born in 1977, they replied that she was really old because she was born the same year way back when Elvis died
        quote:
        Originally posted by bill voss

Hey Rumbelly, Is it always on the day of his death? I remember that moment as well as JFK's assasination. I think it really made me feel old instead of a kid for the first time, and I was all of 25.Did you serve the BBQ'ed bologna as a sandwich, or with peanut butter and banana toppings?

garykg6

• Total Posts: 358
          RE: Bologna in the Belly Mon, 08/9/04 4:30 PM (permalink)
          in the belly of a pig? that sounds great,would probably be a perfect match with 'garlic bologna
          In Carteret,NJ every year,they have a pig roast and while the creature is turning on the spit,those trencherman who know a thing or two take large hunks of Latvian rye(or any other dense bread around) and hold it under the pig to catch the drippings. the locals call it 'dirty bread' and it is a real treat. washed down with a few pilner Urqualts(sic) and life is much more bareable

rumbelly

• Total Posts: 235
            RE: Bologna in the Belly Mon, 08/9/04 8:42 PM (permalink)
            The festival is held third week of July every year. Its a bit strange and you fufill your Elvis quotient for the year but everyone seems to have a lot of fun. My kids are still trying to figure it all out but they put on the glasses with the sideburns nonetheless. Bologna was served on the plate with the beans. I'm told that your not supposed to use good bread for such a thing. If you see really good bread at a BBQ stand your only hope is in flight.

Dirty bread sounds great! I will try it this weekend with another fatty hawg. Yeah those pilsners are excellant with BBQ, nice bitter finish goes with the smoke. I like Tennants from Scotland too.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com