Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Fried Twinkies

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 38 of 38
goldsborscht

• Total Posts: 128
RE: Fried Twinkies Sun, 08/3/03 2:56 PM (permalink)
Jack's BBQ in Tucson has fried twinkies. They lampoon it, dressing it up as a high-end dessert. They squirt chocolate syrup on it and serve it with a slice of vanilla ice cream between the halved fried twinkie. It was pretty damn good.

Spudnut

• Total Posts: 655
    RE: Fried Twinkies Tue, 10/21/03 9:44 AM (permalink)
    From today's Wall Street Journal....

At Texas State Fair:
    Off the Candy Shelf
    And Into the Fryer

Snickers and Twinkies Get
    Fish 'n' Chips Treatment;
    Many Trials, Lots of Errors
    By SUSAN WARREN
    Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

DALLAS -- Butch Benavides's eyes lit up as he grabbed a frozen coconut fruit bar from the cooler, plunged it into a big jar of gooey batter and then dipped it carefully into the sizzling oil of his deep-fryer.

"Let's just try it and see what it does," he said.

While he peered closely at the bubbling blob, customers at the Texas State Fair lined up at his food stand for fried Snickers bars on a stick. Perfecting that delicacy took the better part of the past year. "It's gotta be on a stick," Mr. Benavides explained. "People like to keep moving."

While America is freaking out about carbohydrates and fat, state and county fairs are creating a boom in deep-frying candy bars, cookies and other treats. The trend is presenting food-chemistry challenges to concessionaires, who are devoting elaborate study to such challenges as deep-frying a Twinkie without turning it into a grease-soaked sponge.

Much depends on the batter, which insulates the fried object from direct contact with the oil and becomes a kind of sealed, edible shell. Get the batter wrong, and candy bars wilt and ooze, chocolate coatings liquefy, and marshmallows turn to glop.

Fried candy bars first began to show up at fairs five years ago, imported from the fish-and-chip shops of Scotland, where deep-frying is an art. Fried Twinkies, a hit last year, are still popular. So are fried Oreos.

At the three-week-long Texas fair, which ended on Sunday, visitors eagerly plunked down $3 for a fried Twinkie. Katie Maher, who had the Texas fried-Twinkie concession, sold about 200 a day, she says.

"You come to the state fair for two things: corny dogs and fried Twinkies," said Glen Roya, 59 years old, an oil-field retiree from Lafayette, La., who made a beeline for the Twinkie stand.

Frying a Twinkie outdoors is tougher than it might sound. Last year, Interstate Brands Inc., the maker of Hostess Twinkies, wanted to help spread the fried-Twinkie phenomenon, which is believed to have been invented by the Chip Shop, a Brooklyn, N.Y., fish-and-chips place. Interstate offered to help a concessionaire at the Texas fair with Twinkie-frying skills, and fair officials put a company representative in touch with Ms. Maher, who had been wanting to add a fried dessert to her basic menu of burgers and patty melts. Ms. Maher jumped at the chance to fry Twinkies.

Her early indoor practice sessions went smoothly. Things got rougher, though, when she moved the operation to the stand she had at the fair. Cooking outdoors means contending with humidity and temperature changes, which sometimes make the fish-and-chips-style batter explode in the fryer. When that happens, and part of a Twinkie is exposed directly to fat, the Twinkie will sop it up. To deal with muggy weather, Ms. Maher learned to add more flour and less water to her batter.

Ms. Maher uses a stick to fry the treats but said Hostess didn't want its Twinkies served on a stick. "They wanted a nicer presentation," she explained. So she serves it in a paper boat with powdered sugar and chocolate sauce.

Interstate spokesman Mike Redd, says Hostess reps went around to some of the fairs around the country last year to check things out with people trying the frying. "The main thing we wanted to do was just to make sure our brands were treated as they should be." He says that Twinkies on a stick are fine with Hostess.

A deep-fried Snickers bar

Mr. Benavides, 57, has worked food-concessions sales at the fair for 15 years, breaking into the business with a Mexican apple pie, a deep-fried apple-filled tortilla dessert. Back then, customers weren't very interested in fried sweets, and Mr. Benavides shifted into more-typical fair foods. But last year, the retired restaurateur started to experiment.

He figured a fried candy bar on a stick might win some fans. He whipped up some of his funnel-cake batter, a mix of flour, sugar, eggs, milk, baking powder and soda. But even with a cake armor, Three Musketeers couldn't handle the heat. The candy's airy insides liquefied in the frying oil and slid right off a stick.

Frozen Snickers worked fine on a stick, but a bar at room temperature turned to goo in the fryer.

Getting the batter right was the next trick. Too thin, and it didn't cover the bar properly, allowing chocolate to melt into the oil. Too thick, and the bar puffed up more like a fried pie on a stick. A timer set to 2½ minutes ensures his concession employees don't overcook the candy bars -- any longer and the candy bars melt and fall off the stick. Peanut oil works better than vegetable oil, he says.

This year Mr. Benavides set up his stand in the X-treme ride part of the Midway, where thrill seekers could snack on fried candy bars for $3.50 each after plunging 180 feet in a giant swing.

Mike and Lisa Nault, of Dallas, and their two daughters sought out Mr. Benavides's stand after asking at the information booth for the newest thing at this year's fair. When their fried Milky Way -- looking remarkably like an ordinary corny dog -- was delivered, Ms. Nault took a quick look and handed it to her husband. "Let Daddy have the first bite," she told her daughters, ages 3 and 6. Mr. Nault wasn't too impressed, but 6-year-old Olivia grabbed the stick after one bite and wouldn't let go. "It's so good I can't tell you," she said, licking chocolate from the corner of her mouth.

The Texas fair was coming to an end, and already Mr. Benavides was looking toward next year's menu. He peered closely at the sizzling clump of battered coconut bar and looked concerned. A thin lava-like thread of white liquid began streaming from a tiny hole in the batter at the top of the bar. "It shouldn't do that," he muttered. He pulled the golden-fried bar from the fryer and dropped it into a stainless-steel pan. The bread-like coating broke into pieces and liquid coconut juice poured out, pooling beneath the broken shell.

"I'm going to have to trial-and-error on this a little bit more," he said, mulling the possibilities out loud: Thinner batter? Shorter cook time? Chocolate coating? Or maybe just switch to ice-cream sandwiches. How about a fried Klondike Bar? He liked the sound of that.

On the other hand, Mr. Benavides wondered whether he shouldn't just go in a whole new direction. He thought a fried biscuit on a stick might work.

"There's a lot of fried food out here," he admitted. "But next year I'll be out here with something new."

booboobirdie

• Total Posts: 143
      RE: Fried Twinkies Tue, 10/21/03 10:14 AM (permalink)
      I tried the fried Oreos at a local church fair last year. WAY TOO GREASY...dipped in almost a tempura batter and fried, just dripping in grease.
      Don't know what posessed me to try one of the carnival rides after that. BIG MISTAKE. Threw up right on the ride!

SharonTriv

• Total Posts: 44
        RE: Fried Twinkies Wed, 10/22/03 8:45 AM (permalink)
        The WSJ is way behind Sundancer!

tlbartle

• Total Posts: 30
          RE: Fried Twinkies Sat, 02/21/04 11:48 AM (permalink)
          Now the deep fried oreo does sound intresting! I have have a deep fried mars bar that was gooey, sticky & greasy, yum! Couldn't finish it though :( as it was a bit too much. Good Morning America has the fried oreo recipe if anyone is interested...

Deep-Fried Oreos
          From Shirley London
          October 22, 2003

Deep-Fried Twinkies, fried chocolate bars and now fried cookies have been selling like hot cakes at fairs around the nation recently.

The chefs behind these sugary fried treats say success depends on the batter, which insulates the fried object from direct contact with the oil. If the batter is done right, it will become an edible shell and protect its the melted innards.

Shirley London shared the recipe for her deep-fried Oreo cookie treat with Good Morning America.

Ingredients
          1 cup buttermilk pancake mix
          3/4 cup ice water
          1 quart vegetable oil
          1 sleeve of Oreo cookies (14 each)
          2 tablespoons confectioners sugar

Directions

1. Freeze cookies for 3 hours.

2. In a heavy-gauge 3-quart saucepot heat oil to 350 degrees F.

3. While oil is heating, set up a sheetpan with paper towels for draining.

4. In a medium-sized mixing bowl stir water into buttermilk pancake mix with a wooden spoon until thoroughly combined. As soon as batter is smooth, dip each cookie, one at a time, into batter and smooth batter, making a thin coat completely around the cookie. Place coated cookie carefully into hot oil. Repeat for each cookie. Fry on both sides, turning over once until golden brown.

5. Remove fried cookie from hot oil with metal tongs and drain on paper towels. Dust with confectioners sugar.

6. Let cool slightly (about 2 minutes) before serving.

(The above recipe is slightly different from the original so that consumers can make it at home.)

Shirley London and Food Stylist Karen Pickus contributed to this food report.

Kindred One

• Total Posts: 3
            RE: Fried Twinkies Thu, 04/8/04 11:43 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by scbuzz

There was a booth at our State Fair this year selling deep fried twinkies. I purchased one and took one bite and was not impressed. Not to my taste. A little too greasy and the creme in the middle kind of takes on a new life !

I would like to try the deep fried snickers bar, but only because I love snickers so much. I might be disappointed by the battered and deep fried ones !

I've made S'mores with Snickers...you slice them thin and lay them on top of the graham cracker, marshmallow on top to melt it. Oh, yyyeeeaaaahhhh.

hungovergourmet

• Total Posts: 188
              RE: Fried Twinkies Tue, 04/20/04 10:20 PM (permalink)
              At last year's Maryland State Fair we tried both the Deep Fried Twinkies and Deep Fried Oreos. I'm not a huge sweets fan, so I had to put it all aside in the name of culinary research. The Twinkies were dipped in batter and deep fried, then served with a raspberry sauce and powdered sugar. You could also get it with chocolate sauce, but since we were having the DF Oreos we went raspberry.

The Twinkie was okay but the big surprise was the Oreos. As somebody mentioned earlier, the frying melts the insides and you basically get this explosion of chocolate when you bite into it.

My curiosity is piqued regarding what they'll deep fry this year!

DaveM

• Total Posts: 353
                RE: Fried Twinkies Tue, 05/4/04 12:33 PM (permalink)
                Heather and I had Deep fried oreos a la mode at the Galaxy Diner in the Carytown section of Richmond,VA last week.
                $4.95 for 4 oreos, vanilla ice cream in the middle and chocolate sauce squirted all over.
                Great stuff-tasted delicious-finished it off with a root beer float.
                DaveM

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                  Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 38 of 38

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com