The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

BONES & BREW IN PORTLAND, OR

pdxpa03

• Total Posts: 2
BONES & BREW IN PORTLAND, OR Sat, 09/11/04 10:21 PM (permalink)

It might be an overcast weekend, with bulging, gray rain clouds ready to pop like waterbeds, but it's not stopping the bbq faithful from headin' down to the Tom McCall Waterfront Park in Portland, OR for Bones & Brew, the annual bbq-fest. Local ribmasters come with tongs in hand to feed the hungry masses. Barbecues shaped like tiny locomotives billow fragrant smoke. While inside, rib racks like something out of the Flinstone's drive-in are waiting to be devoured by lip-smackin' patrons.
Here's the complete list of rib houses involved in the event (proceeds of which go to Albertina Kerr Centers for abused children), including some notes on the ones I've tried so far. I should say, though, that Reo's Ribs (considered the new title holder by many), and Campbell's (the traditional favorite) were both absent from the festivities this year.
• Cannon's Rib Express: Near the recently-opened New Seasons Market, Cannon's pork ribs are tender, and the sauce tangy. So good, it's the only place that hypnotized me back for seconds, with its quality (and friendly staff).
• Cousin Kenny's: Reall nice folks. Good herby dry rub, but the pork and buffalo ribs were on the tough side.
• Hog Wild: tough meat on the pork ribs, but the cranberry bbq sauce was unreal. Maybe the sauce isn't traditional, but it tasted great.
• My Brother's: funny, the smell of their wood smoke really drew me in, and the people were super friendly. But sadly, neither the meat, rub, or sauce stood out. It wouldn't kill ya to eat it, but you'd keep searching for better.
• D'Max BBQ
• Goldie's Texas Style BBQ
• Rogue Ale Public House
• Smokin' Swine Publick House and Carolina 'Q'
• Stromboli's Restaurant
• Tennessee Red's: Quality has dropped over the years. This place used to be packed and now it's like church on a Friday night. OK at best.
• Uncle Wally's BBQ
• Yam Yam's: Amazing ribs, and nice folks at the actual resturant, but out-and-out rude staff at the Bones & Brew booth. I took my business elsewhere.

steinbierz

• Total Posts: 1
    RE: BONES & BREW IN PORTLAND, OR Mon, 10/11/04 7:03 PM (permalink)
    I went there on Saturday...overcast but we didn't get rained on. My wife and I drove down from Battle Ground and decided to take the Max into downtown along Interstate. It was relaxing but took us a lot longer than if we would have driven into town and found a parking spot. Oh well!!! To be honest, I can't remember now which BBQ I had but do remember that It was good. We also stuck around for the wood smoking talk. It was pretty informative. My only complaint about this event (2nd yr. in a row that we have been) is not enough of the booths have a rib sampler. I would gladly spend $2 - $3 (tickets) for 2 or 3 ribs so that I could sample all the booths until I was full. Some did have the sampler but the majority sold more expensive combo plates or sandwiches. However, being a homebrewer and beer geek, I was not disappointed in the beer (Rogue!!!).

ExtraMSG

• Total Posts: 66
      RE: BONES & BREW IN PORTLAND, OR Wed, 11/17/04 3:12 AM (permalink)
      I actually did a rundown on this as well. See here:

extramsg.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=27

Michaelrh

• Total Posts: 1
        RE: BONES & BREW IN PORTLAND, OR Sun, 11/21/04 1:34 AM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by pdxpa03

. I should say, though, that Reo's Ribs (considered the new title holder by many), and Campbell's (the traditional favorite) were both absent from the festivities this year.
        • Cannon's Rib Express: Near the recently-opened New Seasons Market, Cannon's pork ribs are tender, and the sauce tangy. So good, it's the only place that hypnotized me back for seconds, with its quality (and friendly staff).
        • Yam Yam's: Amazing ribs, and nice folks at the actual resturant, but out-and-out rude staff at the Bones & Brew booth. I took my business elsewhere.

I didn't make B&B this year, but sounds like I didn't miss much. What happened to theold format of $3 for a rib sampler dish? Was a great way to try several vendors.

YamYam's chopped pork sandwiches at the restaurant are great, especially if you ask for light sauce so you can taste the pork. Owner is a great guy.

I've tried Reo's three times (they're on TV Hwy) and the ribs taste like kerosene smells. Very oily, terrible. I cannot imagine how they were rated so high.

I just tried Cannon's Rib Express for the first time a couple weeks ago and was unimpressed - way too much sauce, and the ribs had a lot of fat.

M

ExtraMSG

RE: BONES & BREW IN PORTLAND, OR Sun, 11/21/04 6:00 AM (permalink)
          If there's one things that's true about Portland's BBQ, it's inconsistency. Cannon's and Reo's can both be quite fatty, though, to me that's one of the least of sins with BBQ. Go try Big Daddy's if you really want to see bad BBQ.

Reo's beef ribs suck, but their pork ribs can be decent to good. Not great, though. See a report on them I made here:

http://www.chowhound.com/pacificnw/boards/pacificnw/messages/19770.html

One of the better pork ribs in town now that LOW has closed shop for the winter. The best pork ribs in town when they're on are probably Campbell's. They have a nice bark and are smoky and tender -- when they're on. Sometimes they'll give you something that looks like a dog bone. The brisket's juiciness at Campbell's is usually decent, but the quality of the meat can be pretty bad. Yam Yam's makes some nice and tender ribs, but I'm pretty sure they boil them and that's why they're not very smoky.

Went to Lagniappe today. Got their gumbo and some cole slaw and hush puppies. Also got a sampling of the brisket and pork. Not bad. They brisket was a little dry, but I think both would make very good sandwiches, which is their main purpose.

hefried

• Total Posts: 367
            RE: BONES & BREW IN PORTLAND, OR Sun, 11/21/04 5:05 PM (permalink)
            hay Portlanders!
            Cannons has good ribs, but they cost too much and their darn sides come straight outa a can or the freezer! Ick.
            I used to love the ribs with North Carolina mustard sauce at Tennesee Reds... but then the quality went way way down. So, haven't been there in years. wonder if it's stilll there?
            The " southern cookin'" and the ribs are good at the Delta cafe in SE Portland
            But the BEST bbq in all of Portland is when we buy our own meat (at Gartners meat market) and bbq it up ourselves! YUM!
            We BBQ a pork roast every Christmas. It's freakin' amazing!

ExtraMSG

RE: BONES & BREW IN PORTLAND, OR Sun, 11/21/04 8:04 PM (permalink)
              Did you ever try LOW. They were doing pork ribs and brisket at 7th and Hawthorne and those plus lamb ribs at the Portland Farmer's Market on Saturdays.

See pictures here:

extramsg.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album91&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

And variously in here:

extramsg.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album42&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

btw, I talked to Rodney, one of the owners, at his wife's chocolate booth (Sahagun) at the Portland Farmer's Market on Saturday. He's willing to do a special BBQ for online folk some time after the holidays.

(If don't know, I started a website called http://www.portlandfood.org to handle such things for online food-lovers from various sites.)

I'll make sure I post here about it. (Or sign up at PortlandFood.org.)

hefried

RE: BONES & BREW IN PORTLAND, OR Mon, 11/22/04 10:48 PM (permalink)
                love yer site portlandfood.org. thanks.
                no, never heard of low. they're just at the market? or do they have a restaurant/?

ExtraMSG

RE: BONES & BREW IN PORTLAND, OR Tue, 11/23/04 12:41 AM (permalink)
                  They actually closed down, possibly only for the winter. They had a stand at 7th and Hawthorne and then did the Portland Farmer's Market. They tried to find a restaurant space, but when they couldn't, they decided they couldn't make money in the winter. However, like I said, they said they'd be interested in doing a big BBQ for PortlandFood.org. It's honestly some of the best BBQ I've ever had. And I've had a lot. See this trip I made this summer:

extramsg.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=26

Thanks for the kind words. Join us some time for an event. Someone's always meeting some time for lunch or dinner or whatever.

ExtraMSG

RE: BONES & BREW IN PORTLAND, OR Tue, 02/8/05 6:47 PM (permalink)

Finally, LOW BBQ has re-opened and once again we have excellent BBQ in Portland. PortlandFood.org met for our February outing at LOW BBQ (in Apizza Scholls Mondays only) for their opening. Here was the run down of food (see pictures linked below):

2 lbs brisket
                    2 lbs pork shoulder
                    1 rack pork ribs
                    4 racks lamb ribs
                    5 large hot links
                    4 sides of potato salad
                    4 sides of beans

Total price per person? Less than $13 including over a 20% tip. I think everyone got full. I was trying to limit myself and still feel stuffed. I know I'm still belching up smoky goodness 4 hours later. My hands even smell like smoke. A very good sign.

I enjoyed all the meat and both the sides. In order of preference: brisket, sausage, lamb ribs, pork ribs, pork shoulder. Everything was wonderfully smoky.

I think the least smoky was the shoulder, maybe because of its size. It was also the least moist. But it was still good. My only wish is that they could consistently put a nice bark on their Q. The texture, though, was quite good. I know Rodney was a little disappointed with the brisket, wishing it was less crumbly, but it was very juicy and flavorful. The sausage was fantastic. The texture was right on and it had a nice spiciness that nevertheless didn't overwhelm the meat flavor. Apparently they're going to have Viande add more fat in the future so they can smoke them longer.

The beans were rich and smoky, stewed with smoked pork hocks from Edelweiss. It was so nice to have a potato salad not overloaded with mayo. My personal preference is for a little less sweetness, but it was a very good, simple potato salad.

They sure make it easy to evangelize their food. Still the best BBQ in Portland. I'm already looking forward to my next opportunity for their Q.

Brisket is a romantic Valentine's Day dinner, right? Maybe they could cut the sausage into hearts.

Here's a link to pictures:

extramsg.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album259&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

hefried

RE: BONES & BREW IN PORTLAND, OR Thu, 02/10/05 11:25 PM (permalink)
                      looks great! and i'd definitly love sausage for valentines day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hefried

RE: BONES & BREW IN PORTLAND, OR Thu, 02/10/05 11:27 PM (permalink)
                        ps BTW, how's the PIZZA a apizza scholls???
                        (totally bizarre name!)

ExtraMSG

RE: BONES & BREW IN PORTLAND, OR Thu, 02/10/05 11:36 PM (permalink)

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                            RE: BONES & BREW IN PORTLAND, OR Tue, 02/22/05 3:25 AM (permalink)
                            Thank you for the post.We ate at apizzascholls on barbecue night tonight. Blown away by the excellence of the barbecue and the sauces were a new experince for me. Thanks for the updates folks. How about a Porland road food gathering sometime in the future?

ExtraMSG

RE: BONES & BREW IN PORTLAND, OR Tue, 02/22/05 3:47 AM (permalink)
                              Hey, I ate there tonight, too. I thought the brisket was a touch dry tonight, though still tender and tasty. The pulled pork was darn good, though. Did you try the lamb ribs or hot links?

Join us at PortlandFood.org. We're a non-forum specific food group that gets together and eats. There are people from a variety of online forums and elsewhere.

mr chips

RE: BONES & BREW IN PORTLAND, OR Thu, 03/3/05 3:05 AM (permalink)
                                Sorry it took so long to get back. I tried the links and I liked thm a lot, But this was also the first time I had a mustard based sauce which I really loved. I will be in touch

ExtraMSG

RE: BONES & BREW IN PORTLAND, OR Thu, 03/3/05 3:12 AM (permalink)
                                  I didn't know they had a mustard-based sauce. I wonder if that's something they just added. I know they have a vinegar sauce for the pulled pork.

mr chips

RE: BONES & BREW IN PORTLAND, OR Wed, 03/16/05 5:49 PM (permalink)
                                    Sorry it took me so long to get back. They told me the mustard based sauce was new.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                      • No New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                      • Read Message
                                      • Post New Thread
                                      • Reply to message
                                      • Post New Poll
                                      • Submit Vote
                                      • Post reward post
                                      • Delete my own posts
                                      • Delete my own threads
                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com