to insure promptness - the tip

Author
aimala66
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 100
2003/11/19 08:52:28 (permalink)

to insure promptness - the tip

first, let me preface this by telling everyone that i was once a waitress. i worked for $2.00 an hour plus tips. i did ok, but i worked at a small bar and even if people ate food, i never left with big shooter tips....it just wasn't that type of place.

here's my question: have inappropriate places started putting out a "tip" jar by the register, even though no one is actually serving you beyond the counter? for example, i noticed a few years back that the local starbucks/caribou coffee places had a tip jar, but the people working there are not traditional "waitstaff" - they're counter people. furthermore, they make above minimum wage. i'm not suggesting that these folks make lots of money, but on an hourly basis, they make a larger flat rate than a waitress at a local diner.

but then i figured...well, i guess they are making complicated coffees....coffees that i couldn't concoct at home. so occasionally, i would tip. the sullen kid behind the counter almost never said thank you when i did throw in some cash, so i've stopped doing this.

this phenomenon grew BEYOND absurd when both my local dairy queen and TCBY put out tip jars!!!!! um, no. that is just rude to be presumptios enough to expect tips at the DQ. will i be expected to tip the guy at the party store, or the woman at the department store now?

the thing is, these places are taking advantage of the consumers need to be socially correct - that is, to not commit a faux pas. so, the consumer feels pressure to "do whats right" and leave a tip.

i tip based on A) quality of service and B) amount of bill. i once had a waitress in a new orleans diner (small bill) who wouldn't bring my utensils until she finished her smoke. she was sitting in the booth ahead of me and actually said this. needless to say, i left the smallest tip of my life that day.

i always worked hard as a waitress. sometimes, large parties would come in, order several rounds of drinks, rack up a bill of $150 - $200 bucks and NOT leave a tip. it's unfair, but it happens. i always try to reward good service, regardless of my bill.

but i will not succumb to the imagined pressure of some ballpoint penned styrofoam cup by a cash register that says "tip". if i got the change, i'll put it in the humane society jar.

13 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15278
    RE: to insure promptness - the tip 2003/11/19 09:56:17 (permalink)
    Your comments are well-spoken. Tips are for service, and should reflect the quality of the worker's effort to please the customer. We've beat the 'amount of the tip' into the ground on other threads, but I have to write in support of your point. To Me, a tip means the worker went the extra mile to insure my satisfaction with the business. It is personal..between me and the worker. If the food is poor and I don't draw that to the attention of the server, they can't be blamed for the fact that I am unhappy. BUT, If I tell them about whatever the problem is (assuming it is correctable) and the don't make an effort to correct it, the tip level will drop considerable, and could go to zero for a major flap.
    One normally doesn't face those type of problems at the local McDonalds counter...therefore a tip for passing the burger from one hand to another is inappropriate. (or Expresso Latte Raspberry Whip)
    Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: to insure promptness - the tip 2003/11/19 10:31:47 (permalink)
    I just had the same converstation with my co-workers during lunch at Luby's cafeteria last week. First when we were given our tickets by the cashier (you pay as you leave) we noticed that they had added an area to add a tip.

Next, there was a huge jar by the cash register for tips!

Now, I watied in line for my lunch,ordered my own lunch, carried it to the table, exactly who am I tipping? I always leave a small tip for the tea wagon lady if she comes around, but honestly.

We decided we were asked for a tip three times while in a cafeteria!
    aimala66
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 100
    RE: to insure promptness - the tip 2003/11/19 12:05:19 (permalink)
    at the high school where i work, there is a student-run restaurant. there is a tip jar for them and naturally i tip. they work hard and actually, the food it quite good. but they also serve you the food.

i never base tipping on the quality of a meal...but always on the service.

i didn't ralize that this trhread had been run into the ground - i'm a newbie!

Cosmos
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1449
    RE: to insure promptness - the tip 2003/11/19 12:54:00 (permalink)
    When I was in college I was employed as a clean-up guy at a local bar. My boss was paying me the same sub-minimum wage everyone else got. I pointed out to the cheap s.o.b. that I didn't make tips, or split tips with the bartenders. He countered that I would find money on the floor (floor tips in the trade). When I explained what was involved in scraping beer encrusted change and the occaisional bill from the floor, and the amounts thereof, I was finally bumped to the beloved minimum wage. God Bless America
    dendan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: to insure promptness - the tip 2003/11/19 13:54:31 (permalink)
    How about being asked for a tip at a drive-in type place - i.e. Sonic? Maybe I'm wrong not to tip.. What do y'all think?
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: to insure promptness - the tip 2003/11/19 14:04:15 (permalink)
    Regarding the tip jar concept, I have to be honest and say that I only put something in on those establishments that I frequent on a regular basis. And only if they do a good job. Even at minimum wage, it is hard to make a living.

But I also have to say that I feel tips are like the dilemma of the chicken and the egg; which came first? I remember the one commercial on tv where each customer is bidding for the waitresses services based on how much they will tip. I think it is horrible for a waiter or waitress to bust their humps and then have a customer either stiff them for a tip or leave a less than reasonable one when they have worked hard to get one. I am astounded at how cheap most people are with their tipping. Sorry to say that but maybe I am just dining with an undesirable element. Who knows?

John
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: to insure promptness - the tip 2003/11/19 14:28:40 (permalink)
    When I'm in a cafeteria, which is rare, I usually leave a dollar on the table for the ubiquitous senior citizen who is wandering around with a broom and dustpan cleaning up spilled crumbs and such . I figure he or she is generally ignored, sometimes abused, and probably is in need of every buck he can get - or he wouldn't be working like that in a cafteria.

Anyplace I go to frequently I tip the wait people generously -thats' what To Ensure Prompt Service is all about - next time i'll get the best service. In a place I'll never see again I tip close to 15% in whole dollars, but never less than a buck, unless I've gotten some very extra nice service or gotten some very poor service - then the tip is comnesurate.

Question: When staying in a Motel or Hotel how much do you tip the poor women who clean your room? This has always been a dilemma for me, but I usually leave $3.00 per day with a little extra if we've been in the room for more than three days- and this has nothing to do with the quality or price of the room - or should it?

Question: In a B&B the cleaning and bedmaking is usually done by local High School aged kids, but you can never be sure - sometimes the owner of the B&B does his/her own cleaning. While I think it inappropriate to tip the owner of a business, i know those kids need the money. What to do?
    dendan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: to insure promptness - the tip 2003/11/19 14:33:02 (permalink)
    Good golly, I must be cheap
    ...I have never left a tip at a hotel...except when overseas and I don't want to cart a bunch of useless coins back home..
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: to insure promptness - the tip 2003/11/19 15:29:19 (permalink)
    Denden: Those cleaning women work for sub-minimum wage, without benefits, and lots of abuse from the management.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15278
    RE: to insure promptness - the tip 2003/11/19 16:40:08 (permalink)
    Seafarer-
    In a motel I tip the 'maid' if we stay for multiple days. If its just an overnighter I usually don't.

Aim-66-- I didn't mean to imply the subject of your post was not appropriate...The other thread was (to me) centered on the amount of a tip, as opposed to the reasons for a tip at all. it boiled down to a case of personal coins!!
    If you're happy and you show it by tipping Fine...If you're not happy and you stiff them for crappy SERVICE, thats fine also !
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5421
    RE: to insure promptness - the tip 2003/11/20 05:15:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dendan

How about being asked for a tip at a drive-in type place - i.e. Sonic? Maybe I'm wrong not to tip.. What do y'all think?

I tip at Sonic because the car-hop brings my food to me. Like a waitress. McD's has signs up saying tipping not allowed.

My local pizza/Itialian restaurant which does a big carry-out trade has put out a TIP jar for the cooks by the register. I don't utilize it.

MikeS.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5421
    RE: to insure promptness - the tip 2003/11/20 05:25:15 (permalink)
    As for lodging establishments I usaully leave a couple three bucks my last night there. That is when I leave the most trash and other junk. If i make a big mess, like spill something then I'll leave something that day.

I too think that people expecting TIPs have become over-stated. At a buffet where I do everything but seat myself I rarely leave anything, like Old Country or Hometown. Placed like Ryan's or Golden Corral where they bring you your drinks I'll leave a buck or 3 depending on service.

When eating something that costs 3 - 7 dollars I'll leave at least a buck, even if it = 25% or something. I think less then an buck is insulting. Except in cases of poor service, of course. I do use a sliding scale. Friendly staff that coo over my granddaughter get great TIPS
    hermitt4d
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: to insure promptness - the tip 2003/11/20 07:48:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by aimala66

here's my question: have inappropriate places started putting out a "tip" jar by the register, even though no one is actually serving you beyond the counter?

this phenomenon grew BEYOND absurd when both my local dairy queen and TCBY put out tip jars!!!!! um, no. that is just rude to be presumptios enough to expect tips at the DQ. will i be expected to tip the guy at the party store, or the woman at the department store now?

the thing is, these places are taking advantage of the consumers need to be socially correct - that is, to not commit a faux pas. so, the consumer feels pressure to "do whats right" and leave a tip.

To answer your question: Yep, I think so !!!!

And I think there is some question in some of these places, may have even seen this mentioned in another thread on this site, about who actually gets the money put into a 'tip jar' at the cash register or wherever. In some cases, that may only go into the manager's or owner's pocket.

I can't imagine tipping at a chain fast food place. (I am however very careful to be pleasant to the workers, in hopes they won't adulterate my food " />). I'd be more inclined to put money in a tip jar at a small mom and pop eatery if I was pleased with the over all experience, even if it was just counter service.

I work in what is basically a service industry where I don't have face to face contact with my customers so I am not eligible for tips. I have to put up with all sorts of complaints and get very few compliments. I make a decent salary, but I'm always aware how difficult serving the public can be.

So I have some sympathy for servers, even bad ones. Only a handful of times have I left no tip at all deliberately; usually I'll leave at least 10%. If the service is really bad, the place loses my business. I always figure it's management's responsibility to keep on top of this issue and if they aren't doing their job management or ownership should suffer, not just the server.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1