Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

today's restaurant - Big G's

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 39 of 39
fattybomatty

• Total Posts: 1017
RE: today's restaurant - Big G's Fri, 05/23/08 2:07 PM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

sure, a sandwich doesn't have to be overflowing to be good. But that "reuben" looks skimpy, not regular. Sure, portion control is good, but there's also a thing called "proportion," and those sandwiches look proportionately large on the bread and thin on the meat - not my idea of a good deli sandwich.

Isn't the taste what truly makes a good deli sandwich? It can be proportionate all it wants, but if it doesn't taste good what's the point?

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
    RE: today's restaurant - Big G's Fri, 05/23/08 2:19 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fattybomatty

quote:

sure, a sandwich doesn't have to be overflowing to be good. But that "reuben" looks skimpy, not regular. Sure, portion control is good, but there's also a thing called "proportion," and those sandwiches look proportionately large on the bread and thin on the meat - not my idea of a good deli sandwich.

Isn't the taste what truly makes a good deli sandwich? It can be proportionate all it wants, but if it doesn't taste good what's the point?

Not really. Not when comparing apples to apples. If two places are using the same ingredients and one place's proportions are not right, then that place won't be as good as the place that uses the right proportions. It's impossible to truly taste good if the proportions aren't right. The bread might be great, the meat might be great, the cheese might be great, but if the meat is so thin the bread rules the sandwich, then the sandwich loses points. Or if the cheese overpowers the meat, that's bad, no matter how good the cheese and meat. Or whena roast beef has so much horseradish, no matter how great the horseradish and no matter how great the roast beef, when the horseradish muffles the roastbeef, then the proportion has ruined it - even if the horseradish tastes great. The sandwich cannot taste great when the proportions are imbalanced.

I am under the assumption that the quality of the ingredients was high. Sure, you can load a pile of crappy meat on a sandwich, doesn't make it better than another place that uses higher quality meat. But that's comparing apples to oranges.

All ingredients being equal, the sandwich still needs balance. The reuben pictured above is not the right proportion to impress me. Carnegie isn't really the right proportion either, but the meat is so good, I forgive the huge portion. But when it's too skimpy, like pictured above, there's no room for forgiveness.

fattybomatty

• Total Posts: 1017
      RE: today's restaurant - Big G's Fri, 05/23/08 2:28 PM (permalink)
      quote:

quote:
      Originally posted by fattybomatty

quote:

Not really. Not when comparing apples to apples. If two places are using the same ingredients and one place's proportions are not right, then that place won't be as good as the place that uses the right proportions. It's impossible to truly taste good if the proportions aren't right. The bread might be great, the meat might be great, the cheese might be great, but if the meat is so thin the bread rules the sandwich, then the sandwich loses points. Or if the cheese overpowers the meat, that's bad, no matter how good the cheese and meat. Or whena roast beef has so much horseradish, no matter how great the horseradish and no matter how great the roast beef, when the horseradish muffles the roastbeef, then the proportion has ruined it - even if the horseradish tastes great. The sandwich cannot taste great when the proportions are imbalanced.

I am under the assumption that the quality of the ingredients was high. Sure, you can load a pile of crappy meat on a sandwich, doesn't make it better than another place that uses higher quality meat. But that's comparing apples to oranges.

All ingredients being equal, the sandwich still needs balance. The reuben pictured above is not the right proportion to impress me. Carnegie isn't really the right proportion either, but the meat is so good, I forgive the huge portion. But when it's too skimpy, like pictured above, there's no room for forgiveness.

I agree that if you are comparing two deli's of the same quality I would want a sandwich that is more proportionate. However, I was saying this sandwich doesn't not look like it is necessarily a bad sandwich just because it is has less meat than some people would like. And I would prefer a sandwich like this that is skimpier on the meat, but tastes better because of the quality, over a sandwich that is overflowing yet lacks in taste because of poor quality.

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
        RE: today's restaurant - Big G's Fri, 05/23/08 2:40 PM (permalink)
        Sure, high quality always wins over low quality in a preference. But I prefer high quality AND the right balance. I even concede that it's possible the ingredients of said deli are of high quality. But, the above picture is supposed to be that of a reuben...a reuben. It's not just "less meat than some people would like," it's hardly any meat...on a reuben. A Reuben is one of those sandwiches I'm passionate about. I don't like it when some mom and pop shop tries to pass of a lean corned beef sandwich with a little sauerkraut as a "Reuben."

I also don't like it when some place tries to pass of their "dripping with thousand island dressing, greasy mess from grilling with too much butter, with sauerkraut falling out the sides from it's icecream cone sized serving" reuben, either.

Either way, I'm an unhappy camper; Questioning every decision the preparer made when putting it together.

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2201
          RE: today's restaurant - Big G's Sat, 05/24/08 8:20 AM (permalink)
          Although I prefer my Reubens grilled a tad darker, this one (from Katz's) appears more than acceptable. pb

brittneal

• Total Posts: 1265
            RE: today's restaurant - Big G's Sun, 05/25/08 11:02 AM (permalink)
            Keep in mind that you are paying 7bux for a sandwich, not 37.
            britt

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2201
              RE: today's restaurant - Big G's Sun, 05/25/08 11:54 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by brittneal

Keep in mind that you are paying 7bux for a sandwich, not 37.
              britt

True, but for $37 you get one of these....

Maybe Once

• Total Posts: 6
                RE: today's restaurant - Big G's Thu, 05/29/08 11:01 AM (permalink)
                I went to college near Big G's and so I have a nostalgia-influenced love of the place. I just don't think you can adequately judge the merits of the place by looking at a photo of a conventional, pedestrian sandwich like a Reuben. (Don't get me wrong, a good Reuben is a Thing of Beauty and a Joy Forever, but this is just not what Big G's is about) The real uniqueness of the place lies in the depth of the menu. Big G's offers choices of I think 5 different types of bread, some flat, some thick and homemade, all delicious. And, it would be a crime to order a sandwich there that you could see on any menu around the country. The key to Big G's (at least for hungry college students 20 years ago) is the crazy sandwiches packed full of ingredients that you might not otherwise see together. Now, looking back at the menu I "liberated" in 1991, I see that many of the combinations that I thought were so unique back then have become more commonplace....but, still, it is the "original sandwiches" that are the strength of the menu.

And, yeah, I've seen college football players struggle to get through a meat-laden whole sandwich. They are big. Get a whole if you want leftovers.

Oh, and that $37 heap o' meat? Kind of gross.

ayersian

RE: today's restaurant - Big G's Sun, 06/29/08 8:25 PM (permalink)
                  Well folks, we finally made it back to Big G's for lunch (and a few pictures). I think these sandwiches speak for themselves. Each is what Big G's considers a "half sandwich," and we've never been able to eat more than a half of a half in one sitting. Sure, they're not of the Katz's or Harold's variety...but this isn't a Jewish/NY-style deli! The meat isn't overwhelming; rather, it's in (what we believe to be) perfect proportion with the rest of the sandwich toppings and the delicious homemade bread!

We got the Mel's Dinner on Pumpernickel, which was a chicken salad sandwich layered with sweet potato fries, cole slaw, onions, and melted cheddar.

We also tried the Governor Baldacci on rye, with pastrami, ham, pepperoni, onions, marinated mushrooms, tomatoes, and melted provolone cheese on top.

Notice the hand stretch required to consume this sandwich!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                    Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 39 of 39

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com