tomato sauce

Author
danimal15
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1092
2004/11/23 10:30:51 (permalink)

tomato sauce

I understand there's a severe shortage of tomatoes around the country. The other day, we had pizza from one of my favorite places here in Chicago, and I noticed a definite lack of tomato sauce compared with other times I've eaten there. I didn't think to ask why at the time, but later I wondered if maybe they were cutting back due to the shortage. Has anyone else noticed such a thing?

18 Replies Related Threads

carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: tomato sauce 2004/11/23 22:11:14 (permalink)
    I've not heard about this but if it's so I wonder if it's because of the hurricanes in FL?
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: tomato sauce 2004/11/24 20:05:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by carlton pierre

I've not heard about this but if it's so I wonder if it's because of the hurricanes in FL?

Exactly! My parents live in FL and there are no fresh tomatoes there now, though their sources say there should be in a few more weeks. Still, this shouldn't affect tomato sauces which are usually made with canned tomatoes. Even the canned sauces are not made with Florida tomatoes as far as I know--those are used as a source of fresh tomatoes in winter. Most tomato canneries in this country are in CA I believe--I am certainly used to seeing huge trucks piled high with tomatoes plying the roads of the Central Valley in late summer.
    carlton pierre
    RE: tomato sauce 2004/11/24 23:34:42 (permalink)
    Maybe we can liven this topic up a little. If you're going to make a pizza at home, will you make sauce or buy at the store? What is a good brand of the store bought variety?
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: tomato sauce 2004/11/25 13:45:50 (permalink)
    quote:

Maybe we can liven this topic up a little. If you're going to make a pizza at home, will you make sauce or buy at the store? What is a good brand of the store bought variety?

The thing that stops me from making pizza at home is the dough, not the sauce. If I were going to do it, I'd make the sauce--a basic tomato sauce like pizza sauce is pretty simple. I realize there are pizza doughs you can buy, but I haven't been impressed with the ones I've tried. And then there's stretching it out on the pan in a fairly uniform fashion . . . .
    JaSnake16
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: tomato sauce 2004/11/25 17:52:42 (permalink)
    Its true about the shortage. A burrito bar near my job the other day posted a sign stating that because of the price of tomatoes right now (really expensive) they would not be serving pico de gallo. Im sure the same goes with sauce, especially in a good pizzeria where they use homemade sauce.
    Jennie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 389
    RE: tomato sauce 2004/11/27 15:37:47 (permalink)
    Hubby needs a pizza stone, or he'd make them himself. He says he'd probably make the pizza sauce himself using tomato puree (paste), crushed tomatoes, garlic, etc and herbs. Far cheaper than a jar sauce.
    carlton pierre
    RE: tomato sauce 2004/12/01 19:54:43 (permalink)
    I thought I might make a separate thread out of this but decided not to, for now. I'm curious, how is a spaghetti sauce different from a pizza sauce? Is it just a matter of some spices?
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: tomato sauce 2004/12/01 20:12:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

quote:

The thing that stops me from making pizza at home is the dough, not the sauce. If I were going to do it, I'd make the sauce--a basic tomato sauce like pizza sauce is pretty simple. I realize there are pizza doughs you can buy, but I haven't been impressed with the ones I've tried. And then there's stretching it out on the pan in a fairly uniform fashion . . . .

I see you need help.

You need some therapy!!!

www.pizzatherapy.com
    carlton pierre
    RE: tomato sauce 2004/12/01 23:34:28 (permalink)
    I admit I need help, I admit I need therapy! I glanced quickly at the therapy and will devote more time tomorrow. it looks interesting.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: tomato sauce 2004/12/02 10:18:40 (permalink)
    At the grocery store yesterday, I noticed plain tomato sauce was $1.10 for 12oz can.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: tomato sauce 2004/12/02 10:26:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by kland01s

At the grocery store yesterday, I noticed plain tomato sauce was $1.10 for 12oz can.

Still rather less expensive here, so far; especially for "store" brands.
    Tommy2dogs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: tomato sauce 2004/12/02 19:48:34 (permalink)
    I went to Wendy's today ( I prefer their Chili to local Texas style and didn't have time to make my own) and they had a sign saying due to the shortage tomatos were only available on sandwiches on request.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: tomato sauce 2004/12/02 20:39:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tommy2dogs

I went to Wendy's today ( I prefer their Chili to local Texas style and didn't have time to make my own) and they had a sign saying due to the shortage tomatos were only available on sandwiches on request.

I'd ask for double, considering the last guy thru the drive thru may have missed the sign... I just spent 6 bucks on a little under 2lbs of vine ripened tomatoes... Really not missing anything... I was hoping they would be better then the tastless romas (which are normally good), but no luck on that one... Oh well, hoping for spring here to get my "private" stock growing in the backyard again and enjoy some real flavor. (Hurry Ma Nature)
    essvee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: tomato sauce 2004/12/02 21:41:22 (permalink)
    carlton, the main difference between spaghetti sauce and pizza sauce is that pizza sauce should be lightly cooked if at all. All the good pizza places in New England use tomato product, like 6 in 1, right out of the can. The cooking the tomatoes get during the packing process is good enough.

One of the big reasons pizza sucks here in the Bay Area is that no one seems to understand that idea, and they're sloshing marinara and whatnot all over the place. feh.
    avk2
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: tomato sauce 2004/12/20 23:30:43 (permalink)
    Don Pepino's sauce from NJ is an excellent store bought can sauce, from the farm region of s central nj, where most US tomatoes seem to be grown. You can buy large yellow cans of it at Sam's Club. I used to enjoy Progresso Pizza Sauce in the can (strong red paste color and nice blend of spices) but it seems to have been discontinued by its current owner, General Mills. All of the glass jar Pizza sauce seem much too artificial.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: tomato sauce 2004/12/21 00:31:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by avk2

Don Pepino's sauce from NJ is an excellent store bought can sauce, from the farm region of s central nj, where most US tomatoes seem to be grown. You can buy large yellow cans of it at Sam's Club. I used to enjoy Progresso Pizza Sauce in the can (strong red paste color and nice blend of spices) but it seems to have been discontinued by its current owner, General Mills. All of the glass jar Pizza sauce seem much too artificial.

No gurantee, but try out www.hometownfavorites.com and click on The Hard to Find Grocer logo... They might have it there...

juliev
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 147
    RE: tomato sauce 2004/12/27 04:07:37 (permalink)
    I usually buy canned tomato sauce, and then doctor it up to my taste. I have bought different varieties, and there really is no special preference. Sometimes I'll buy something like Hunts tomato sauce and add stuff like minced roasted garlic, minced gr pepper, onion, and even stir in some parmesan cheese....and fresh minced oregano (the dry kind works too). Like the Hamburger and the Sandwich, Pizza is something with endless possiblities. I never do the same thing twice. Life is too short, get creative!
    the Big Ferret
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: tomato sauce 2005/03/28 15:08:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by avk2

Don Pepino's sauce from NJ is an excellent store bought can sauce, from the farm region of s central nj, where most US tomatoes seem to be grown.

I totally agree. The Don Pepino Pizza sauce is simple and good. In fact, all Don Pepino products that I've useed are very good. We have one local grocery store chain that sells the stuff here in Newport News.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1