top 10 in your neck of the woods

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7751
RE: top 10 in your neck of the woods 2008/12/03 10:52:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Slim Strummer

Also, I agree with WJ about teriyaki and sushi, but must disagree about smoothies. It can certainly be LA without them.

Slim, I've got to disagree with you on that one. Smoothie's were invented in So-Cal, the Orange Inn have been serving them since the 1930's, decades before anyone else in the rest of the country knew what a smoothie was.

I can compare smoothies in So-Cal to Pizza in NYC. Pizza by the slice outside of the NYC area is the exception rather than the rule. Similarly smoothies outside of the So Cal area served
at local coffee houses are the rule rather than the exception, in So-Cal they're served at local "smoothie shops"
KingCrab
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 122
RE: top 10 in your neck of the woods 2008/12/03 10:54:01 (permalink)
Since my daily work commute is over 140 miles, my ideaa of "neck of the woods" is a bit expanded. If I will drive that far for a job, I will definitely drive pretty far for some food. With that disclaimer out of the way here are my top 10 spots in Chicagoland in no particular order:

1) Cajun Connection - Utica, IL. - the best cajun food I have eaten
2) Tank Noodle - Chicago, IL. - Vietnamese food
3) CoalFire Pizza - Chicago, IL. - New Haven style pizza
4) Honey 1 - Chicago, IL. - BBQ
5) Cemita's Taqueria Puebla - Chicago, IL. - cemita's and tacos
6) Amanacer Tapatio - Joliet, IL. - Authentic Mexican cooking
7) Sun Wah BBQ - Chicago, IL. - Chinese BBQ
8) Joe's Stone Crab - Chicago, IL. - Stone Crab claws, prime beef
9) Monari's 101 - Lasalle, IL. - Supper club
10) Ripp's - Ladd, IL. - some of the best fried chicken around

honorable mentions: Fabulous Noodles(Chinese) - Lisle, IL. Johhnies(Italian Beef) - Elmwood Park, IL. Correto's(supper club) - Ottawa, IL.
dancinhomer
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 32
RE: top 10 in your neck of the woods 2008/12/03 11:49:49 (permalink)
In Tulsa, OK, I would offer

1) Talking Drum - Caribbean and African. I know it doesn't sound like Roadfood, but it's all run by one guy who cooks everything in-house. Besides being a gourmet chef selling his food at or below the cost of eating at a chain, he's a sweetheart of a guy.

2) Desi Wok - Indian Food with an Asian Food twist on the cheap. Order off the menu board at the counter and you'll get a huge portion for less than 10 bucks a head.

3) Umberto's Pizza - best. pizza. ever.

4) Oriental Buffet - A mega-buffet of Chinese Food where nothing tastes like it just came off the buffet line. They worry about quality, and it shows.

5) Bangkok - A great Thai Buffet where they make everything in small portions so that everything is fresh.

6) Ron's Hamburgers - where you can order a burger with ground sausage mixed in with the beef and no one will judge you

7) Coney Islander - An institution in Tulsa. Fantastic coneys.

8) Shiloh Cafe - family-owned for generations, where every meal comes with complimentary strawberry-rhubarb compote to go with your dinner rolls

9) Lenny's Subs - better cheesesteaks than anything you'll find in Philly

10) Salad Alley - proof that you can have a hearty and healthy meal at a reasonable price. Amazing salad options, wonderful soups.
southpaw
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 105
RE: top 10 in your neck of the woods 2008/12/03 12:10:43 (permalink)
Here in the real "neck of the woods" in southwest Virginia:

The Homeplace Catawba
The Homeplace Catawba
The Homeplace Catawba
Mike's Blacksburg
The Cellar Blacksburg
Texas Tavern Roanoke
Roanoke Weiner Stand Roanoke
Old Virginia BBQ Rocky Mount
The Homeplace Catawba
Three Little Pigs BBQ Daleville

GO HOKIES!
allyk
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 154
RE: top 10 in your neck of the woods 2008/12/03 12:18:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:
Originally posted by mousec
What makes Starbucks the "whore" of coffee houses? There is a prevailing atmosphere of "power to the people" and "F*** large corps but when a small time operation makes good all of the sudden it is turned on by the people that once supported it.

To put it bluntly, the quality of the coffee SUCKS!!

I remember when Starbucks used to put out a good product. The quality has seriously declined and now tastes like burnt rubber.

So it isn't just me--I have always thought Starbucks coffee tasted burned. And the goodies are often stale. I go there sometimes because it's right across the street from where I live. I have learned to stick to hot chocolate--it's very good. But I prefer to patronize the independents.

I wish there were 10 good roadfood spots in my new locale. There are some very good soul food places. Perhaps I haven't been here long enough to find 10. I moved to GA. from Nashville a little over a year ago and my heart is still there, so I will list my 10 for Nashville, in no particular order:

Jay's Family Restaurant: my neighborhood meat-and-three. I ate there at least once a week. Great chicken and dumplings and sweet potato casserole.

Prince's Hot Chicken Shack: also in my neighborhood. The original and best hot chicken.

Athens Family Restaurant: family owned Greek cafe with authentic Greek cuisine (Plaki is my favorite) and the best breakfast in town, in my opinion.

Poe Boy's: in a city of great soul food, this is some of the best. It's a hole-in-the-wall in a not so great neighborhood, but the smothered chicken, hot water cornbread, and greens are worth it. Their Friday special is a Nashville tradition: fried fish, slaw, white beans, spaghetti, and hot water cornbread--don't knock 'til you try it!

Sylvan Park: Sylvan Park is one of the better known meat and three joints around Nashville. The pies are great.

The Farmer's Market: One of my favorite lunch spots. There is a food court with just about any type of food you want, including authentic Mexican, Jamaican, and East Indian.

Rotier's: This is a bar/family restaurant/college hangout. The lunch and dinner plates are great, but my favorite items are the cheeseburger served on French Bread and homemade chocolate milk shakes.

Stan's: actually down the road from Nashville near Columbia, TN. It's a truck stop with restaurant and store: imagine Cracker Barrel with less country and more redneck. The fried chicken is some of the best I've ever had, and they feature fresh greens every day. And if you like crackling bread, theirs is tops!

Center Point Barbecue: good 'cue and delicious homemade desserts. It's reported this was Johnny Cash's favorite place to eat.

Can't leave out the Loveless Cafe'. It's famous and touristy, but the biscuits and homemade preserves are fine.

ken8038
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1595
RE: top 10 in your neck of the woods 2008/12/03 13:02:26 (permalink)
This is a great thread. I’m not sure how I missed it the first 6 times around, but now that’s it’s active again….. better late than never:

This would be Union County NJ. And I’ve tried to add a little variety rather than list like 9 hot dog places:

In no particular order:

Galloping Hill Inn- Union. Attendees on the Annual NJ Hot Dog Tour will know this one.

Planet Chicken – Dunellen – Peruvian BBQ Chicken. I’m not sure how this differs from the Portuguese BBQ Chicken served at other places in the area, but I like it a little better. Plus I have their free calendar on my wall at work.

Roselle Fried Chicken – Roselle – NJ is not noted for Fried Chicken, but this is almost good enough to be in the Top 10 even in a good state. Take out only.

Burger Express – Cateret - The burgers are OK, but it’s the cheese fries that get me in the door. They must know it too, their biggest signage outside has “Cheese Fries” on a big standing sign. My son thinks “Cheese Fries” is the name of the place.

Father & Son – Linden – I do have to have 2 Hot Dog places on this list. Best hot dog chili anywhere.

Italian Village – Plainfield – Red Sauce Italian. Zero atmosphere in a small run down strip mall.

Original Texas Wieners – Plainfield. OK, three Hot Dog places. The original is much better than #2, on Rt 22.

White Rose System – Linden – Great greasy spoon breakfast and lunch, but I go there for “The Complete”. A breakfast sandwich that will make anyone forget about the Egg McMuffin, but remember the name of their cardiologist.

DiCosmo’s Ices – Elizabeth – Italian Ice made with real fruit in a 95 year old garage.

Star of India – Kenilworth – Our pick of the several Indian Restaurants in the county.

Nunzio’s – Scotch Plains – Our local pizzeria which just seems to keep getting better and better to the point where I would now put it in the top 10 of all New Jersey.

In Memoriam: The Chippery – Fanwood, the closest roadfood to my house, a 10 minute walk. Great fish & chips in an old shack in a residential neighborhood. Closed last month. There is no alternative that I know of.

Missing: We do not have a good local pub for a burger and a beer or glass of wine.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4524
RE: top 10 in your neck of the woods 2008/12/03 14:07:22 (permalink)
Northeast Pennsylvania - Pittston/Scranton/Wilkes-Barre

Tony' Restaurant in Kingston, Best breakfast.....EVER, anyplace.

Majestic Lunch in Pittston, In business over 100 years. Texas weiners and burgers that melt in your mouth.

Dominick's in Plains, They have a great menu and super daily specials. But for me it's pizza. Nice bar also.

Ranch Wagon in Dallas, Foot long hot dogs made by Gutheinz in Scranton.

Damenti's, Steaks and seafood. Vegetables grown in their own garden.

Ghigiarelli's in Old Forge, Pizza, tripe and...well just read here http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28431&SearchTerms=ghig

Center Street Cafe in Pittston, Best veal around. I could eat here at least once a week. Wait, I do eat here at least once a week.

Ooh Ooh Bird Inn in West Pittston, Fantastic wings and burgers. And just a great local bar.

Lincoln Inn in Dupont, Great old world Italian food.

Dough Company in Wilkes-Barre, excellent round NY style pizza.

Great Uncle Peters Steak House in Clarks Summit, This is my recent report http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31680

The youngster on this list is Great Uncle Peters. I believe they opened in 2001. The rest probably have an average age of at least 50 years old. These places are all tried and true.

easy1
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 45
RE: top 10 in your neck of the woods 2008/12/03 15:02:00 (permalink)
South Shore MA to the Cape (my favs, no particular order)

1. Lindsey's Seafood Buzzards Bay, MA - seafood, steaks
2. Christo's Restaurant Brockton, MA - pizza, greek specialties
3. Mandarin King Quincy, MA - chinese, best $8 lunch ever
4. Gateway Tavern Wareham, MA - Pub food, burgers
5. Rose and Ellie's - Marion, MA - pizza, subs
6. Mike's Restaurant Fairhaven, MA - pizza, prime rib, lobsters
7. Crack O' Dawn - Wareham, MA - breakfast
8. Mezza Luna Buzzards Bay, MA - Itlalian, prime rib
9. Marc Anthony's Onset, MA - pizza
10. Narrows Crossing Wareham, MA - seafood, pub

LindaW
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 338
RE: top 10 in your neck of the woods 2008/12/03 15:02:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by octopus

top 10 in no specific order all depends on what your up for that day. Albany, NY area.
1. Brook's BBQ in Oneonta, NY, about an 80 mile drive from Albany but worth every mile. RT 7 Oneonta, NY
2. Ralph's Italian/American, great low price Italian food, little tiny place cheap eats good. Order the Petit portion and you will still have leftovers, rt 5 (Central ave) Albany, NY.
3. Harbor House, Seafood, Fish Fries, Just about the the best New England Clam Chowder you can get. rt 9, Clifton Park, NY
4. Hot Dog Charlies Various locations Albany, NY area. Hemboldts Hot Dogs, Steamed Buns, and Chilli sauce a Local Favorite.
5. Kurver Creme, Soft Serve Ice Cream, too many flavors and items available to list Seasonal only go on a weekend evening and plan on standing in a long line. rt 5 (central ave) Albany, NY
6. Grandma's Pies Great homade pies, good cheap eats. Looks like a party warehouse exploded at each holiday. rt 5 (central ave) Albany, NY
7. Giffy's BBQ, Nice local family run place good food and good prices. rt 9, Clifton Park, NY.
8. Quintessence, great for sunday breakfast omlet big enough for 3 people, try the BBQ chicken Omlet. New Scotland Ave, Albany, NY near Albany Medical Hospital.
9. The Fountain, The best bar food if you love garlic, Meatball Subs, and Pizza loaded with garlic. New Scotland Ave, Albany, NY.
10. Villa Valenti, The Best Italian Food in the Albany area, great place prices getting up out of Road Food prices but not to bad. They do it right not too mention a great salad bar, bread and pasta made on premises with semolina. Rte 66, Averill Park, NY, about 15 miles east of Albany.
Grandma's, Kurver Creme and Ralph's are within about 1/2 mile of each other.
Giffy's and Harbor House are about 1/2 mile apart from each other.

When were you last in the Albany area? Quintessence has been closed for a couple of years...and I have to disagree with you about Giffy's...their bbq can't hold a candle to Capital Que on Ontario St. in Albany or Pig's Pit in Cohoes.
pmrkr2
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 319
RE: top 10 in your neck of the woods 2008/12/03 15:04:23 (permalink)
just want to add one to my list for the upper west side of manhattan.

SAL & TONY'S PIZZA - 101st ST & BROADWAY
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2980
RE: top 10 in your neck of the woods 2008/12/03 17:06:31 (permalink)
NE PA also....

Tony's in Kingston. Breakfast and lunch only.

The Anthracite, in Wilkes-Barre
Pasquale's, on the Sans Souci, for NY neighborhood Italian
Arcaro & Genell's, Old Forge, more neighborhood Italian
Dino's Pizza Corner, in the Wyoming Valley Mall; best pizza in the valley, IMO
Pizza L'Oven, my favorite NE PA style pizza
Any of the dozens of church bazaars that run every weekend in the summer; the best roadfood recommendation is to pick up a paper while passing through, and go to a bazaar.
Amici, Clarks Summit
The Beer Deli, Forty Fort
Haystack's, Wilkes-Barre Township

It was hard to come up with 10. I would have included Patte's Sports Bar, but they still allow smoking, even though it is now illegal in PA.

ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1595
RE: top 10 in your neck of the woods 2008/12/03 18:07:19 (permalink)
<<Ooh Ooh Bird Inn in West Pittston, Fantastic wings and burgers. And just a great local bar.>>

Any bar with a name like that has to be added to my Trip List for my next visit to that area, probably in the spring. A couple of other of yours and Mosca's that I never heard of sound interesting too. Thanks.

MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4058
RE: top 10 in your neck of the woods 2008/12/03 19:13:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Twinwillow

In Dallas:
1. First Chinese BBQ
2. La Palapa Veracruzana (Oak Cliff)
3. Taverna
4. Houston's
5. Deli-News
6. Nonna
7. Sushi Sake
8. Ovella's
9. Twisted Root Burger Co.
10. Cafe Girard

Mrs. Metro (who is more than a little bit "a princess") refuses to go south of Uptown, so we are waiting for the promised Collin Co. outpost of Twisted Root.

Do you mean the Deli-News on Preston @ Campbell or the recently renamed Deli-News Too on Preston just south of the LBJ? We like both, but have only had breakfasts there.

I really enjoyed the Houston's on Wisconsin below M in Georgetown, but have yet to try the two in Dallas.

First Chinese BBQ is high on my list; which location is your favorite?

Our one visit to Celebration was horribly marred by two fussy children seated with us in a small, confining room, but Dunston's-Lover's is on our list.

And speaking of lists, here are our "north of Uptown" faves:

1) Rick's Chop House, McKinney. Hand-breaded chicken pan fried to order in lard. Perfection!
2) Covino's, Plano. Red-sauce Italian, NYC-style in a homely, ultra-friendly atmosphere. They "import" their tiramisu from NJ.
3) Olivella's, University Park, on McFarlin just across Hillcrest from SMU. This rave review is, if anything, understated: http://www.guidelive.com/portal/page?_pageid=33,97400&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL&item_id=55833
4) Benedict's, Addison. We drive 25 miles one-way to enjoy breakfast here at least once a month.
5) Cafe Milagro, Richardson. The best "Mexican" we have found thus far in Dallas.
6) The Rib Joint, Van Alstyne. Wonderful "mom & pop" BBQ buffet. Their "stuffed baked potato salad" is, well, wonderful.
7) Sea Breeze Seafood, Lakeside, Plano. Genuine lobster rolls; excellent (for Dallas) fried shrimp and crabcakes.
8) Red's Patio Grill, Lakeside, Plano. Until we visit Twisted Root's new place in Collin Co., the best "gourmet" burger yet.
9) Big Shucks, Dallas on Mockingbird, east of the Central. Just for the "vibe" of the place and the fact that I love making my own cocktail sauce.
10) Five Guys, The Galleria. Both For a taste of my home for 25 years (NOVA) and just to pi$$ off the Five Guys haters. Excellent "fast, fresh burgers" and truly wonderful fries.
stanpnepa
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 577
RE: top 10 in your neck of the woods 2008/12/03 20:19:25 (permalink)
The "Ooh Ooh Bird Inn" is actually an abbreviation for its full name, "The Wow! Ooh Ooh Bird Inn". It's been around forever, and as kids we'd crack up at the sign. Haven't had their wings in years (despite it being about two blocks from the house I grew up in), but I recall them being quite tasty. I've been there to "close the place" a few times, but I'm getting off topic.

Joe, I'm ashamed to admit I haven't been to a couple of places on your list--Great Uncle Peter's (though I've heard other good things and it's been on and off my mind for a couple of years) and The Center Street Cafe (ditto). Didn't that used to be Dusseldwarfs? (Great mom and pop German that we were sorry to see close).

Nice to see my beloed Tony's on both lists! It's the definition of Roadfood. I can't take lunch at work until 2pm, so I haven't been there in a couple of months---before the election. I don't agree with him much on politics, but can't wait to see the latest pictures/signs. They're always good for a chuckle, but it's the food, food, food that makes Tony's a MUST!

plb
  • Total Posts : 1029
RE: top 10 in your neck of the woods 2008/12/03 22:46:19 (permalink)
quote:
Ooh Ooh Bird Inn in West Pittston, Fantastic wings and burgers. And just a great local bar.

Any relation to the Oogle Oogle Boid from New Greenpernt?
MGWerks
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 231
RE: top 10 in your neck of the woods 2008/12/03 23:58:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Pigiron

...the one establishment that I patronize nearly every day of my life: ESS-A-BAGEL
Three places I would go back to in Manhattan:

1. La Mela, in Little Italy, at 167 Mulberry Street

2. Smithy & Wollensky's, 48th & 3rd

but mostly

3, ESS-A-BAGEL.

Funny story - Last time I was there, I had the car stop at the Ess-A-Bagel on 51st & 3rd early in the AM as I was headed for La Guardia and home. I packed three dozen of those horribly oversized beauties into my previously-empty carry-on bag, and off we went. I became hated by all on that plane and the next as I transferred to home. You see, their bagels were all just fresh when I picked them up and a dozen of them were garlic! I bet that plane smelled for a week!
Curbside Grill
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3916
RE: top 10 in your neck of the woods 2008/12/04 02:24:03 (permalink)
What is neck of the woods, ex truckdriver all 48 and Canada, Leisure drive 600 miles for a meal, workday more and no truckstop food, well maybe less than 10%. Use to live in Tampa and drove to Mobile for dinner at Wintzell's, Had a craving, got a motel, not crazy. Tampa to Nashville also for some 'hot Chicken' stayed with sister on that one. Tampa to Atlanta for Catfish,another motel, Next day hung around until they opened for lunch, bought some more and headed home.
Tampa Area:
Wine Celler Not roadfood
Mel's Best Hot dog
Branch Ranch, closed now
Roaring 20's Pizza and Organ Fun for all, Really an Organ with Pizza,subs, salads, Beer
Cooter's Clearwater Bch Best crab legs
Peeble's BBQ Auburndale,Fl
Chalet Suzanne, Lake Wales Anniversery getway, have to experience once. Weekend getaways with non roadfood, just us.
Burn's Steakhouse, Tampa Steak, Have to do dessert upstairs, just desserts, the over the top desserts, forget the Steak's, Bordello atmosphere
22nd St Restaurant, Tampa Seafood,closed
Since in TN now:
Hagy's Catfish Hotel, Shiloh, TN- what can I say,50 miles one way

Mrs.Crunch
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 199
RE: top 10 in your neck of the woods 2008/12/04 05:26:11 (permalink)
Columbus, Ohio

North Market-Many food stalls and small specialty shops-HOME of Jeni's Ice Cream!!
Cuco's Mexican Taqueria & Grill-Homemade Churros! The real deal Mexican food...well for central Ohio
City Barbeque-Great Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Bark and Fries
Indian Oven-Downtown
Brisco Coffee-Downtown-Great strong Coffee!!
Brazenhead Bar-Dublin Ohio-Great fish and chips, Wings
Eagles Pizza- Favorite Pizza in New Albany Ohio
G Michaels Bistro-German Village-Great date night spot
Pistacia Vera Bakery-Best Boutique Bakery in Columbus
Figlio-American Italian

MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5416
RE: top 10 in your neck of the woods 2008/12/04 05:29:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Jennifer_4

Representing the completely unrepresented area of Fresno/Clovis California (help me out here Mike!)

in no particular order:

Imperial Garden - weekend dim sum and chinese chicken salad
The Basque Hotel - pork chops, lentil soup
Plaza Ventana - anything with seafood, ComsmoRita
Don Pepe's - carne asada tortas
Cattlemen's (in Selma, just up the road) - steaks, tumbleweed onions
Cool Hand Luke's - raspberry chipotle ribs, chicken fried steak, chicken n dumplings soup
Di Cicco's - scarface (mushrooms, chicken, penne, garlic alfredo)
Mike's - bread, minestrone, calzone
Fresno Breakfast House - anything breakfast related
Mediterranean Restaurant - hummous, falafal, kebabs

Jenn, I've been out of Fresno for 10.3 years now. I'm no longer qualified to comment, much.

We always liked DiCicco's for anything Itialian. My favorite was the Calzone. Deep fried then smothered in sauce and cheese and popped in the hot pizza oven till hot and bubbly.

Sal's Mexican in Selma. Me n Ed's pizza. Taco stands on Ventura Ave near downtown.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4524
RE: top 10 in your neck of the woods 2008/12/04 06:30:39 (permalink)
ken8038, Ooh Ooh Bird is an evening only stop. let me know when your coming and I'll meat up with you.

stanpnepa, Yep Center Street Cafe replaced Dusseldwarfs. Excellent food. The chef/owner is Mike Struzzeri from Nono Lino's and Alanti. The economy is hurting them though. That an a bad location. But the food is out of this world. BYOB.

I haven't been to Tony' since the election either. You know what, I'm going this morning. "One fat bastard omelete with a side of calabrese potatoes."

Me, you and Mosca have to meat up there one day.

MGWerks, I love La Mela. I asked the waiter for a wine list and he said "We have'a red and we have'a white". I said "but what kind" and he said "Italian". I said, ok give me both.

JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2595
RE: top 10 in your neck of the woods 2008/12/05 18:10:29 (permalink)
Manty/Trivers Triple D plus 7

Being off the beaten path means that the big chains have skipped past this area until recently. Manitowoc and Two Rivers have a great Roadfood selection for two cities with a total population of less than 50,000. These are my favorite ten and all are within a 20 minute drive.

Diner - Phil Rohrer's Lunch 1303 22nd St, Two Rivers
A plate of sliders, with raw fries covered in gravy, well worth a stop. One of Phil's 4 Ho'Made Soups to start the meal is a must. Fresh Lake Perch, Smelt, and Mock Lobster served every Friday. This may be one of the ultimate small town diners.

Drive-in - Penguin Restaurant 3900 Calumet Avenue, Manitowoc
The Big Penny deserves a place on your Top 10 burgers. The ragged looking hand-formed half-pound patty is char-grilled and is the star of this burger. This is an excellent burger in a classic drive-in setting.

Dive - Covered Wagon 2013 N Rapids Rd, Manitowoc
Okay, not exactly Guy Fieri's idea of a dive, but the building is rather rustic. The Covered Wagon is a Family Restaurant/Diner, but I had to make room for it on my list because of their prolific production of pies.

Deli - Maretti's Deli 823 Buffalo Street, Manitowoc http://www.marettisdeli.com/
A big city Italian Deli in the Wisconsin boondocks. This is the real deal.

Supper Club - Machut's 3911 HWY 42 N, Two Rivers http://www.machuts.com/
A classic Wisconsin Supper Club. Machut's may be as much about the drinks as it is the food, you cannot order supper without a trip first to the bar. Yes there is a Friday Fishfry - Lake Perch for only $10.95.

Big Night Out - The Courthouse Pub 1001 S. 8th St., Manitowoc http://www.courthousepub.com/
Very creative entrees at reasonable prices. I love this place.

Barfood - Kurtz's 1410 Washington Street, Two Rivers
Really Good Beer. No deep fryer or grill, but good sandwiches and soups. A Two Rivers tradition since 1904. Specializing in world famous beers (Hacker-Pschorr on draft), served by the yard and half-yard. Good Beer!

Pizza - Tony's Pizza 2204 Washington St., Manitowoc http://www.tonyspizzamanitowoc.com/
Manitowoc's finest pizza. Thin crust piled high with cheese and toppings. Pizza handmade in a neighborhood bar, what's not to like?

Subs - Fatzo's Subs 2001 Washington St., Two Rivers http://www.myfatzos.com/index.htm
What a sub sandwich was before the chains took over. Go there and eat. Hot & cold subs and pizza, too.

Special Stop - Historic Washington House 1622 Jefferson Street, Two Rivers
This warm 1850s inn serves as the Two Rivers Visitor Center. The old-time non-alcoholic saloon features Berners' Ice Cream parlor commemorating the invention of the ice cream sundae.

There's a Trip Report or a Meet and Great here just waiting to happen.
post edited by JRPfeff - 2009/02/27 08:42:25
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4209
RE: top 10 in your neck of the woods 2008/12/06 01:48:02 (permalink)
I'd meet you up there for that rundown, Jim. I think I'd wait until the weather got a little warmer, and we'd have to seriously consider the practicality of hitting all ten spots. If you narrowed the list down to the essentials, I think you'd have a dandy tour that would bring the gang together in a heartbeat!

See you soon,

Buddy
pmrkr2
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 319
RE: top 10 in your neck of the woods 2008/12/06 04:00:44 (permalink)
sorry make that sal & carmine's (senior pizza moment)
101st St. & Broadway in NYC
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2595
RE: top 10 in your neck of the woods 2008/12/06 08:09:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyRoadhouse

I'd meet you up there for that rundown, Jim. I think I'd wait until the weather got a little warmer, and we'd have to seriously consider the practicality of hitting all ten spots. If you narrowed the list down to the essentials, I think you'd have a dandy tour that would bring the gang together in a heartbeat!

See you soon,

Buddy

Buddy,

I'm talking to Bobbi about the 2 of us doing a two day scouting trip, one day in each city, during my holiday time off. Watch for a trip report.

This would definitely be a good warm weather tour. I think 4 of the 5 in Trivers could be easily reached on foot. If we throw out those that are less than 40 years in business we drop to six, which wouldn't be an outrageous day.

Jim
Mrs.Crunch
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 199
RE: top 10 in your neck of the woods 2008/12/10 10:52:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Mrs.Crunch

Columbus, Ohio

North Market-Many food stalls and small specialty shops-HOME of Jeni's Ice Cream!!
Cuco's Mexican Taqueria & Grill-Homemade Churros! The real deal Mexican food...well for central Ohio
City Barbeque-Great Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Bark and Fries
Indian Oven-Downtown
Brioso Coffee-Downtown-Great strong Coffee!!
Brazenhead Bar-Dublin Ohio-Great fish and chips, Wings
Eagles Pizza- Favorite Pizza in New Albany Ohio
G Michaels Bistro-German Village-Great date night spot
Pistacia Vera Bakery-Best Boutique Bakery in Columbus
Figlio-American Italian

ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8323
RE: top 10 in your neck of the woods 2008/12/10 11:12:19 (permalink)
1)Schwabenhof in Menomonee Falls-great fish fry
2)5 Oclock club downtown Milw-steaks to die for
3)Speed Queen BBQ-the best around
4)Sollys-wonderful butter burgers
5)George Webbs-never had a bad breakfast
6)Jakes-corned beef at its best-and lots of it
7)Redds Snapper-big,juicy fried shrimp
8)Pietros Pizza-south side of Milw-best sausage and cheese pizza
9)Zaffiros Pizza-best ultra thin crust with multiple toppings,just fold and enjoy
10)Jimmys Grotto-Waukesha-Ponzarotta-folded deep fried pizza-the cheese just oozes out and the crust has a certain flakinesss to it
firecommander3565
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 505
RE: top 10 in your neck of the woods 2008/12/10 11:20:43 (permalink)
My Chicago top ten:
1) Manny's
2) Nuevo Leon
3) Fat Willys Rib Shack
4) Fontano's Sub
5) Vienna Beef Hot Dog factory
6) Pompeii Pizza
7) Boston's Beef
8) Ba Le Vietnamese
9) Itto sushi
10) Trohja's Shrimp house

I could keep going with a top 20.........

quijote
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 648
RE: top 10 in your neck of the woods 2009/04/02 21:35:42 (permalink)
Stumbled upon this thread and thought I'd throw in a few favorites for Milwaukee, WI and Buffalo, NY:

Milwaukee area (in no particular order):

1. Bombay Sweets (great dosas, samosas, etc.)
2. Jake's (corned beef, pastrami, etc.)
3. Benji's (corned beef, chicken matzo soup)
4. El Cabrito (goat stew, tacos, etc.)
5. Pizza Man (my favorite pizza in Mke)
6. Jo's Diner (hash browns, eggs, hash browns)
7. El Rey (tacos and other goods at the counter)
8. Leon's Custard (good custard, cute place)
9. Mekato's (Colombian bakery)
10. Reynold's pasties (great stuff)
11. Pueblo Foods (take-out Puerto Rican)
12. Copper Kitchen (American-Albanian diner)

Buffalo (in no particular order)
1. Palace of Dosas (great dosas, of course)
2. Uncle John's (authentic Chinese food)
3. Anderson's (roast beef sams, custard)
4. Papa Jake's (good burgers, better fries)
5. El Sugar Bowl (Puerto Rican food)
6. Pho 99 (great pho, lemongrass beef)
7. The Village (breakfast, diner style)
8. Peking Garden (dinky place with dim sum)
9. Hamlin House (Friday fish fry)
10. Doctor Bird's Rasta Rant (Jamaican)
11. Lone Star Fajita (tex-mex)
12. Anchor Bar (typical--good wings, great deep-fried vegetables)
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18360
RE: top 10 in your neck of the woods 2009/04/02 23:07:37 (permalink)
How could you leave Major Goolsby's out of your Milwaukee top ten?
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 648
RE: top 10 in your neck of the woods 2009/04/02 23:44:58 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

How could you leave Major Goolsby's out of your Milwaukee top ten?

I know, I know--so many good places. And admittedly, my top ten is subject to change from day to day. When I'm feeling more carnivorous I could include Goolsby's, Sobelman's, Kopp's, Mazo's, Speed Queen.... So much food, so little Me.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1