The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

turkish taffy

marcbla

• Total Posts: 139
turkish taffy Wed, 01/21/04 12:14 PM (permalink)
when i was a kid in the mid 60's we had a candy produced by BONOMO called turkish taffy, it was available in vanilla chocolate strawberry and banana it was hard and you slapped it down on the sidewalk or a table to break it into bite sized pieces anybady remember it?

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
    RE: turkish taffy Wed, 01/21/04 12:38 PM (permalink)
    I remeber a candy called "Turkish Delight" which was chocolate over some kind of rose flavored jelly like middle, but I done remember the taffy.

Grampy

• Total Posts: 1559
      RE: turkish taffy Wed, 01/21/04 12:55 PM (permalink)
      B-O
      N-O
      M-O
      Bonomo
      O, o, o, it's Bonomo (pause). Candy!

Michael Stern

RE: turkish taffy Wed, 01/21/04 12:59 PM (permalink)
        The last time Jane & I had Bonomo's turkish taffy, Jane gnawed her piece long enough for it to get it good and soft; and while chewing, it precisely and completely removed one entire tooth, roots and all, from the back of her mouth. I have to believe the tooth was weakly rooted to begin with, but that was some seriously chewy stuff!

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
          RE: turkish taffy Wed, 01/21/04 1:26 PM (permalink)
          Bonomo Turkish Taffy. It's one of the few candy's of our childhood that isn't still available. The play was to stick it in the freezer and then

SMACK IT AND CRACK IT

Or, you'd let it get nice and soft and stretch it out as far as your arms were wide and then try to tie it in knots, or whatever. It was great. Of course when you were a kid, you didn't have to worry about pulling out a tooth.

Grampy

RE: turkish taffy Wed, 01/21/04 1:34 PM (permalink)
            Bonomo was the Silly Putty of candy. I recall when I put one in my back pocket for a couple of hours, and a friend of mine and I tried to see how far we could stretch it. I believe we made it almost across the living room, and then it just collapsed like the Tacoma Narrows.

Howard Baratz

• Total Posts: 445
              RE: turkish taffy Wed, 01/21/04 2:11 PM (permalink)
              Bonomo Turkish Taffy was my favorite movie candy. It would last through an entire double feature (I guess that shows my age).

plb

RE: turkish taffy Wed, 01/21/04 3:35 PM (permalink)
                There is a very similar candy I still see once in a while, called Charleston Chew.

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
                  RE: turkish taffy Wed, 01/21/04 4:05 PM (permalink)
                  I remember it. I used to like the vanilla or strawberry best and buy it as Mrs. Milligan's candy store (actually the front room of her house). If I didn't have a nickle, I would have to settle for a pale imitation of Turkish Taffy - a B-B-Bat.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15062
                    • Roadfood Insider
                    RE: turkish taffy Wed, 01/21/04 5:48 PM (permalink)
                    The "bar" was an unusual shape for candy. about 2" x 5" and less than a quarter inch thick. Not coating, just taffy.
                    Maybe you guys in Cold-Ville and the Great White North could just slap it on the table to shatter it.... but in the Mojave it could be made to be several feet in length at normal outdoor temperature!! And Clothier's right. Charleston chew was a different shape, chocolate coated and a nougat core,Wouldn't stretch more than a couple of inches at best, not taffy like at all.

Grampy

RE: turkish taffy Wed, 01/21/04 5:56 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

The "bar" was an unusual shape for candy. about 2" x 5" and less than a quarter inch thick. Not coating, just taffy.
                      Maybe you guys in Cold-Ville and the Great White North could just slap it on the table to shatter it.... but in the Mojave it could be made to be several feet in length at normal outdoor temperature!! And Clothier's right. Charleston chew was a different shape, chocolate coated and a nougat core,Wouldn't stretch more than a couple of inches at best, not taffy like at all.

I think the confusion lies in that CC also wanted you to smack it and crack it. As I recall, there were even directions on the wrapper to do so. Like a kid needs directions on how to break something.

EliseT

• Total Posts: 2849
                        RE: turkish taffy Wed, 01/21/04 8:43 PM (permalink)
                        Did it come in a wrapper that looked like wax paper?

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                          RE: turkish taffy Wed, 01/21/04 8:46 PM (permalink)
                          Yeah the inner paper was like that. Then a cellophane(sp?) wrapper over that, clear with name etc printed on the clear cello///

dadio

• Total Posts: 14
                            RE: turkish taffy Wed, 01/21/04 8:57 PM (permalink)
                            Hi guys,

This is John from Zoot Candy. Yes Bonomo Turkish Taffy is gone, BUT, the good news is that there is something available thats close. It's not Charleston Chew it's French Chew. It comes in Vanilla, Chocolate and Strawberry. You can freeze it and smack it just like Bonomo's. It is very, very close.

Thanks,
                            John
                            Zoot Candy

amelia

• Total Posts: 17
                              RE: turkish taffy Wed, 01/21/04 10:15 PM (permalink)
                              I only know of Turkish Delight. I was only born in the 90s. Sorry. I wish I could remember..if I was born..then.

PCC

• Total Posts: 111
                                RE: turkish taffy Wed, 01/21/04 11:21 PM (permalink)
                                After school I would always get either a turkish taffy or a sugar daddy. Loved them both, but now I wouldn't dare eat them now for fear of losing a filling or crown.

scbuzz

• Total Posts: 844
                                  RE: turkish taffy Thu, 01/22/04 8:14 AM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by Lone Star

I remember a candy called "Turkish Delight"

Hmmmmmmmmmm, are you sure that was the candy or ..... you know (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) the other stuff ???? If you know what I mean !!!

scbuzz

• Total Posts: 844
                                    RE: turkish taffy Thu, 01/22/04 9:40 AM (permalink)
                                    What ??? I was talking about coffee !! Sides .. I was responding to Lone Star's post.

But I understand what you mean.

mayor al

• Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                      RE: turkish taffy Thu, 01/22/04 10:11 AM (permalink)
                                      So what's the big deal? I missed my 8th grade graduation 'cuz I got Drafted!!
                                      **( Ya' Might Be A Redneck, Part 5)

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
                                        RE: turkish taffy Thu, 01/22/04 10:17 AM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by scbuzz

quote:
                                        Originally posted by Lone Star

I remember a candy called "Turkish Delight"

Hmmmmmmmmmm, are you sure that was the candy or ..... you know (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) the other stuff ???? If you know what I mean !!!

Will ask to hubby to try and find me some in coffee shop in Amsterdam

Grampy

RE: turkish taffy Thu, 01/22/04 10:35 AM (permalink)
                                          Turkish Delight is nothing like Turkish Taffy. It is a soft, jelly-like confection covered with powdered sugar. It is very popular in Britain.

amelia

• Total Posts: 17
                                            RE: turkish taffy Thu, 01/22/04 10:44 AM (permalink)
                                            psssh. its ok. everybody already knows about topics like that already haha

Sundancer7

RE: turkish taffy Tue, 01/27/04 5:10 PM (permalink)
                                              I gave my Chinese Pug a large wad of Turkish Taffy and I believe it was Banana. It was slightly warm and he managed to chew on it for a few minutes. I happened to glance over after a few minutes and I saw he was struggling. What had happen was while he was chewing, it locked his upper teeth and lower teeth together. He had worked it in pretty good and was sorta moaning through his nose. He began to panic and started jumping around. I managed to corral him, turn him on his back, pull back his lips and used wood spoons to prise the gook out. It took about five minutes to free his jaw.

It must have scared hell out of him cause "Boo" would never get near it again. I would unwrap one and he would head for his house.

Paul E. Smith

Grampy

RE: turkish taffy Tue, 01/27/04 6:08 PM (permalink)
                                                That is sad -- but hysterical!

albinoni

• Total Posts: 149
                                                  RE: turkish taffy Tue, 01/27/04 10:16 PM (permalink)
                                                  As a youngster watching after-school TV in the 50's, I was totally indoctrinated by the ads for Bonomo's Turkish Taffy--but my parents, exercising an exaggerated sense of parental responsibility, refused to buy it for me. Since I was too young to be receiving an allowance, or even go to the store by myself, I could only dream about how great the stuff tasted--it seemed like forever before I finally had the chance to act on my fantasy. Somehow, it didn't taste as ambrosial as I'd imagined it would--as is often the case, the reality fell short of the fantasy. But I liked it well enough to buy it every so often when I finally got an allowance and a bike and became a boy of means.

6star

• Total Posts: 4388
                                                    RE: turkish taffy Wed, 01/28/04 2:07 AM (permalink)
                                                    If you want to read the history of Bonomo, go to http://www.oldtimecandy.com/bonomo.htm

ShenB

• Total Posts: 129
                                                      • Location: Grand Rapids, MI
                                                      RE: turkish taffy Fri, 05/25/07 11:19 PM (permalink)
                                                      Good news for all of us "Turkish Taffy" lovers.

It sure looks like its going to be available soon

Here's the link http://www.bonomosturkishtaffy.com/index.html

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4896
                                                        RE: turkish taffy Sat, 05/26/07 1:04 AM (permalink)
                                                        Yeah, yeah, yeah. I have been hearing this for almost two years now.
                                                        I even got an email from them after I had had written to them about a year ago. They told me then, they were getting ready to take orders.
                                                        Still waiting...........................

ShenB

• Total Posts: 129
                                                          • Location: Grand Rapids, MI
                                                          RE: turkish taffy Sat, 05/26/07 9:30 PM (permalink)
                                                          Hey Twin,
                                                          You're absolutely right - This has been around for a while. After I posted this I went back to the site and noticed at the bottom of each page was a date - "2003"

Looks like after 4 years of "Taking Orders they still don't have their "SH--"ugar together yet!

fabulousoyster

• Total Posts: 1855
                                                            • Joined: 11/17/2005
                                                            • Location: new york, NY
                                                            RE: turkish taffy Sat, 05/26/07 11:11 PM (permalink)
                                                            My children eat a similar "Laffy Taffy"
                                                            THey taste good, the flavors are all the same, vanilla, banana and others.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com