Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

turtle soup

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 84
wheelbarrow_1

• Total Posts: 2
RE: turtle soup Wed, 01/11/06 7:33 PM (permalink)
I love snapper soup! It is increasingly getting harder to find it being served in diners.

The best snapper soup was made at the Vincentown Diner off of Rt. 38 in Mt. Holly, NJ. Though it has been some years since I went there since it became non-smoking.

I live near Mayfair Diner in Philly and they have an okay snapper soup.

You can find it in a can at ACME foodmarkets. Buy the Bookbinders brand, serve it with sherry and sprinkle some sea salt ontop. If you can find oyster crackers to go with it, great. If not, just break apart some Saltine crackers to put in the bowl.

YUM!

V960

• Total Posts: 2429
    RE: turtle soup Wed, 01/18/06 4:47 PM (permalink)
    Pulled out a frozen package of snapper meat and made soup w/ it this afternoon. Fine stuff...makes me glad there are so many ponds around here.

wheelbarrow_1

• Total Posts: 2
      RE: turtle soup Wed, 01/18/06 5:04 PM (permalink)
      Did you find the frozen snapper meat in a grocery store? I'd love to find some available to make my own soup.

The essential way to have snapper soup is with the crackers broken up and put into the bowl, little bit of sherry and broken up hardboiled egg. Mix some sea salt into the stuff, too. Yummmmmmmmy.

The problem with the soup at Mayfair Diner is that the broth isn't dark brown and the meat is chopped and barely there. The snapper meat should be plentiful to make the soup thick and the meat is shredded like in BBQ beef sandwiches. Bookbinder's canned soup also has the meat chopped. I think they all do that in Philly. Jersey definitely serves it shredded which I think, makes a better looking soup.

V960

RE: turtle soup Fri, 01/20/06 8:50 AM (permalink)
        I live in a rather rural area (for piedmont NC anyway) and fish for turtles each summer. I clean them (a chore and a half) and freeze the meat for later use. Tasty girls they are, yes indeed.

All the turtles over fivee or so pounds are females. Males never get larger than that. Caught one a few years ago still full of eggs and buried them in the pond bank...they hatched. Can't legally fish for them here in NC until July 4th.

V960

RE: turtle soup Tue, 01/31/06 3:43 PM (permalink)
          Just signed two contracts for turtleing ponds this summer. Life is good.

V960

RE: turtle soup Thu, 04/20/06 2:34 PM (permalink)
            Had to kill a duck today that had a snapping turtle "remove" one of his feet. Poor duck just kept swimming in a circle. Well I guess we get duck for dinner tomorrow.

I'll be sitting on the pond bank w/ a rifle Saturday AM waiting for this turtle.

Sundancer7

RE: turtle soup Thu, 04/20/06 3:45 PM (permalink)
              I have hundreds of turtles that sit on the logs beside my deck most of the year except winter. I suppose they hibernate then. I had never thought about catching them. They tend to get covered with algae in the summer and look sorta yucky to me.

I think I will stick to Walmart standard fare of burger and chicken.

Paul E. Smith
              Knoxville, TN

V960

RE: turtle soup Thu, 04/20/06 5:46 PM (permalink)
                Sundanger (sorry but i LOVE that handle)

if you saw the turtle it wasn't a snapper. I have turtled ponds where people "knew" they had no turtles only to catch three or four twenty pound puppies. Tasty little fellows by the way.

V960

RE: turtle soup Mon, 06/26/06 10:51 AM (permalink)
                  Spotted a big snapper in the pond this morning. I was feeding the ducks but she got caught by surprise. In NC we can't fish for them until July 4th...dawn of July 4th they'll be a dozen lines out for this big girl.

CoastFan

• Total Posts: 116
                    RE: turtle soup Thu, 07/27/06 11:55 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    I would consider Snapper Soup to be a somewhat local or regional specialty dish for that area. I have seen 'Turtle Soup' on menus in other places, but not as common to a region as it is in Central Jersey and Eastern PA

Exactly. As a kid growing up in the PA, I didn't realize that turtle soup was a specialty dish largely confined to the the greater Delaware Valley area. Once I moved away, that became obvious (along with scrapple, hoagies, pepper pot soup, but I digress).

Now, on those rare occasions when I do get back to the old home country, finding real turtle soup seems to become ever harder to do as the years go by.

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
                      RE: turtle soup Fri, 07/28/06 12:53 AM (permalink)
                      Interesting topic. From what I can tell (and I'm no expert!) it looks like New Orleans turtle soup is different from the northern versions; and I wonder if Cajun turtle sauce piquante or soup are yet another theme, so to speak. Heree's a recipe for the former:

5 lb Turtle meat, cut 2" cubes
                      3 pt Water, cold
                      32 oz Tomatoes, whole, can
                      1 t Garlic, finely chopped
                      6 oz Tomato sauce
                      1/2 c Celery, finely chopped
                      12 oz Mushrooms + liquid
                      1/2 c Shallots, finely chopped
                      4 ea Onions, white, finely chop
                      1/3 c Bell pepper, finely chopped
                      1/4 c Parsley, finely chopped
                      3 ea Lemon peel, small slivers
                      1 x Cayenne pepper/generous
                      1 x Salt & pepper to taste

Fry meat in minimum oil til tender to fork. Usually 20 - 35 minutes. Remove.

Make a roux of 6 Tbsp oil to equal amount flour. When deep (not dark) brown, add onion. Cook until transparent but don't burn.

Add 3 pints cold water and bring to a boil. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, celery, bell pepper, shallots, garlic, mushrooms. Let boil about 15 or 16 minutes. Add fried turtle meat, parsley, lemon peel and salt & pepper to taste. Let simmer over low fire for at least one hour. Serve over hot rice.

Also for: Any tough meat, such as large alligator, raccoon.
                      http://www.recipesource.com/side-dishes/sauces/13/rec1362.html

V960

RE: turtle soup Mon, 07/31/06 10:42 AM (permalink)
                        The mid south version is basically uses a mirepoix instead of the NOLA trinity. Many times the carrots are even deleted. Lima beans, corn and tomatoes are added. The turtle meat is usually cut into 1" cubes and the very white back meat is reserved for grilling. Hot sauce is served at the table but unless you are in a hunting camp it is not added to the soup except by the person consuming it.

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
                          RE: turtle soup Tue, 08/1/06 5:02 PM (permalink)
                          Perhaps there really are regional variants. The Delaware Valley version is somewhat spicy, but the key ingredient is the sherry, usually served on the side in a small glass which you pour in the soup yourself at the table. Do the various Southern, NOLA, kinds etc. use the sherry?

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
                            RE: turtle soup Tue, 08/1/06 5:46 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by NYNM

Do the various Southern, NOLA, kinds etc. use the sherry?
                            Not to my knowledge; but what I've eaten was home-made. Dunno what they do in restaurants.

V960

RE: turtle soup Wed, 08/2/06 10:30 AM (permalink)
                              NYNM,
                              Here in piedmont NC the sherry side is unknown. We didn't get alcohol sales in my county until a couple of years ago...no beer, wine or heaven forbid booze until 2004. So no sherry in the turtle soup around here. Crab soup in Charlotte ALWAYS comes w/ a shot of sherry on the side.

Funny thing is the the Baptists and bootleggers were the only ones who voted against bringing in the alcohol.

russ2304

• Total Posts: 261
                                RE: turtle soup Sat, 08/5/06 4:28 PM (permalink)
                                Back in the day, as they say, before using Sea Turtle was banned by conservationist we used to feast on turtle in the Fl. Keys.On Big Pine Key there was a restauraunt, attatched to The Big Pine Inn that used to serve not only the best turtle chowder in the world but also a "chicken fried" turtle steak that flopped over the plate and was incredible. The outfit that used to catch, process and make a wonderful chowder from sea turtle was Sid and Roxie's it has since changed hands many times but I believe the current owners use the same"seceret recipie using snapper instead of sea. Any one else familiar? If you are the you had the best turtle under heaven!

Neesie

• Total Posts: 322
                                  RE: turtle soup Fri, 12/22/06 12:57 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by GordonW

I remember having turtle soup at Smithville Inn, just outside Atlantic City, NJ. The little jug of sherry and the whole thing.

The stronger memory is my father making turtle soup. Every now and then, he'd get a snapping turtle somehow. There was the whole ritual of butchering and cleaning the turtle, and then on with the soup. Not too complicated a recipe once the turtle was cleaned and the meat taken out.

When we were little there were a lot more snapping turtles around. If we found a big one someone would have to run and get my grandpa. An adult would tease the turtle with a large branch (think baseball bat size) and when the turtle would stick out his head to bite it Grandpa would come down on his neck with an axe. My next memory is that Grandpa would hang the turtle upside down for a day or so to drain the blood out of it. Then grandma would turn it into Turtle Soup, and naturally I wouldn't go near it. Haven't thought of these memories in 40 years!

Grandpa would also take the shell and nail it to a tree trunk. The woods out back were decorated strangely!

Pat T Hat

• Total Posts: 968
                                    RE: turtle soup Fri, 12/22/06 2:11 PM (permalink)
                                    My little friend Whipper (Snapper, get it, I know) say: Eat More Mock Turtle and Make My Day!

We found our little carapace covered buddy by our mailbox where a giant crow was trying out the local turtle tartar. Poor little fella was no bigger than a quarter and since we owed postage...
                                    With a big pile of corn on my lot and abundant roadkill for my featherd friend to crow about (ohhhh, I just can't help it) I jacked his snack.
                                    His shell was banged (pecked) up a bit and is missing a little tail but now is the size of a cup saucer. Minnow sushi, nightcrawlers, and fermented chicken are his favorites.
                                    Now that he's a more able to fend off bigger bully's with a taste for turtle, we'll put him in the creek come spring.

I do in fact like turtle soup. I like Mock turtle 'mo betta!

JAKE91

• Total Posts: 50
                                      RE: turtle soup Thu, 04/19/07 3:33 PM (permalink)

Originally posted by tmiles

My Dad was almost killed as a kid. He used to catch snappers and sell them for 5cents each. One day a big old lunker turned the tables and tried to grab him and pull him under.

T, I CAUGHT 2 SNAPPERS(SEP.OCC.) IN MY DAY WHILE FISHING. PLACED EACH IN A CARDBOARD BOX AND SOLD THEM TO A CHINESE RESTAURANT. MUST BE ALIVE,OR THEY WON'T BUY THEM. THE CHEF'S EYES BUGGED OUT WITH GLEE BOTH TIMES. THEY LOVE 'EM.

WHEN PICKING THEM UP, STEP ON HIS TAIL AND GRAB BEHIND THE HIND LEGS. I SAW A GUY GET SNAPPED BUT GOOD, BETWEEN THUMB AND INDEX FINGER AT A LAKE. WHEW, DID HE HOLLER AND THAT FLESHY PART WAS GONE QUICK!

db1105

• Total Posts: 185
                                        RE: turtle soup Sun, 05/6/07 7:17 PM (permalink)
                                        I haven't seen snapper soup on any menu for a long time. If I did I'm sure I've would have ordered it. Great stuff!

Blink

• Total Posts: 3
                                          RE: turtle soup Tue, 05/15/07 7:06 AM (permalink)
                                          Turtle soup!! never tasted that! How does it taste?

jimcor

• Total Posts: 148
                                            RE: turtle soup Tue, 05/15/07 7:22 AM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by Blink

Turtle soup!! never tasted that! How does it taste?

Like chicken.

jimcor

• Total Posts: 148
                                              RE: turtle soup Tue, 05/15/07 7:41 AM (permalink)
                                              I've read a few posts on these forums from guys that mention they ride motorcycles. Well, if your ever decide to stay at TWO in Suches, GA may I recommend you DON'T cool your tootsies off in the stream that flows thru the campground. I am NOT exaggerating when I say I saw 2 turtles the size of sewer lids in that creek. Big, old, mossyback, dinosaur looking creatures, big claws and jaws, mean, spiteful, straight razor totin' turtles. Lord, have mercy. (...sorry Tony Joe.)

HPlatz

• Total Posts: 103
                                                RE: turtle soup Sat, 08/4/07 2:12 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by NYNM

Sorry, I don't remember. This was about 10 yrs. ago. It was a lovely little place I came across on a roadtrip in some small town, at the crossroads. I wish I'd remembered, I'd go back.

I used to date a girl from down there in Berks Co. (until I married her) but she got me to a large number of great restaurants down there...off the top of my head there was Yellow House, Topton Hotel, Blue Orchid Inn and the Bowers Hotel. We also liked the Moselem (muh-SELL-em) Springs Inn. We were huge fans of the Topton Hotel. There are loads of great places down there but I don't want to hijack the thread too much...

I am no fan of turtle soup. I ate it once at a local Elks Club and it was also served with sherry. The soup put me in mind of a bowl of rubber bands with beef gravy poured over it. Maybe I got a bad batch or a bad style, but I never ordered it since.

NYNM

• Location: New York, NY/Santa Fe, NM
                                                  RE: turtle soup Wed, 08/8/07 3:27 PM (permalink)
                                                  I used to date a girl from down there in Berks Co. (until I married her) but she got me to a large number of great restaurants down there...off the top of my head there was Yellow House, Topton Hotel, Blue Orchid Inn and the Bowers Hotel. We also liked the Moselem (muh-SELL-em) Springs Inn. We were huge fans of the Topton Hotel. There are loads of great places down there but I don't want to hijack the thread too much...

I am no fan of turtle soup. I ate it once at a local Elks Club and it was also served with sherry. The soup put me in mind of a bowl of rubber bands with beef gravy poured over it. Maybe I got a bad batch or a bad style, but I never ordered it since.

Yup, Berks County is a trip! I think of it as the "real" PA Dutch (oops,PA German!!) place, with roots in Germany. Lots of places with German names, cemetaries with German symbols and names. In some of the older parts, they people still speak German. Lots of barns with "hex" signs for "real." Oley Valley is amazing - an anthropologist friend of mine did resaerch there linking the barn and home architecture with medieval Germany.

Check out these sites (and enjoy the names! Goshohoppen, Schwenkfelder, Tuplehocken, etc! )

www.goschenhoppen.org/
                                                  Check out the Goshohoppen Historical Society )
                                                  PA German Sciety
                                                  http://www.kutztown.edu/community/pgchc/index1.htm
                                                  Schwenkfelder Historical Society
                                                  http://www.schwenkfelder.com/
                                                  Berks County Heritage Center/Tupelhocken,
                                                  http://www.co.berks.pa.us/parks/cwp/view.asp?a=1229&q=448129&parksNav=|

Etc......

It is north of Lancaster County and not "Amish". Also not touristy.

I wonder if turtle soup is originally a German dish?

eatingteam

• Total Posts: 186
                                                    RE: turtle soup Sat, 08/11/07 8:35 PM (permalink)
                                                    You are talking about my backyard (Bucks / Berks County) Were most of our Eatingteam members are from.

*******Snapper Soup and a Great, Great roadfind.*******

Kopper Kettle - Trevose Feasterville, PA

NYNM

• Location: New York, NY/Santa Fe, NM
                                                      RE: turtle soup Mon, 08/13/07 1:24 PM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by eatingteam

You are talking about my backyard (Bucks / Berks County) Were most of our Eatingteam members are from.

*******Snapper Soup and a Great, Great roadfind.*******

Kopper Kettle - Trevose Feasterville, PA

Yes, I used to have a place in New Hope PA but could never sit still and was always investigating nook and crannies. That Berks/Buck/Montgomery County area was a great find.

What's this about an eating team in the area? Do you have your own turtle soup spots?//

eatingteam

• Location: Warminster, PA
                                                        RE: turtle soup Wed, 08/15/07 6:20 AM (permalink)
                                                        The Kopper Kettel is the best I have found. Thick and full of chunk size meat. It is one of those local foods where after you eat it you start talking about it and everyone else knows exactly what you are talking about.

Tony

Robearjr

• Total Posts: 1102
                                                          • Location: Baltimore, MD
                                                          RE: turtle soup Wed, 08/15/07 7:27 PM (permalink)
                                                          Turtle soup or Terrapin soup was a mainstay on Baltimore menus for years, but I haven't seen it offered in years.

eatingteam

• Location: Warminster, PA
                                                            RE: turtle soup Thu, 08/16/07 11:32 AM (permalink)
                                                            We have fromed an eatingteam that is expanding both in girth and in numbers. Eamil me and I will give you the site which explains everything.

Tony

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 84

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com