The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

using inverters versus gensets

Rubyshaveice

• Total Posts: 25
using inverters versus gensets Thu, 11/3/11 10:57 PM (permalink)
Can someone give some advice on inverters? I'm not crazy about gensets for just a shaveice thing. Here are the specs:
1 Phase 60Hz 3.9A 220watts for 115 volts. What are some guidelines to use for inverters so I can use a marine battery? And what kind of battery would be good? You guys here seem to know a lot about electricity! Every time I ask dealers for advice they want me to get the expensive one or are flat out wrong in their information. Any brand advices or links would be so awesome!

Blissful Bite

• Total Posts: 55
    Re:using inverters versus gensets Thu, 11/3/11 11:31 PM (permalink)
    Think about all the appliances you may run, you've got to have more than just this one...lights, signs, cash register, fridge/freezer, radio....  Amps=watts/voltage

Add up all their amp ratings and multiply that by the number of hours per day you think you'll be using them.  That gives you the number of amp-hours your battery (probably multiple batteries) needs to be able to supply.  Add some wiggle room to be safe.  Size your inverter to supply full load plus wiggle watts=amps*voltage.

Charge time is a consideration.  If you drain your batteries during the day, they've got to charge back up and that usually takes longer than draining them.

You'll definitely be into alot more money for this system vs a genset.  You could probably get by with a relatively quiet inverter generator.  Smaller solar panel/inverter/charger/battery systems can supplement your generator and you can upgrade to gen-free later.

Keep searching the forum, there's a lot of good discussion and a number of good links.  Swing by an rv parts seller and see if they'll give you a catalog to browse.  Develop your understanding of how this stuff works and you'll avoid paying too much for a package of components you could have gathered yourself.  

Rubyshaveice

Re:using inverters versus gensets Thu, 11/3/11 11:43 PM (permalink)
      Genset is cheaper? Oh, that'd be better then I guess. For genset, since my appliance is 22o watt, I need 220+30% right? Meaning I'd need a generator that can do around 300 watts? It's what I've been told that you need 30% additional for starting the appliance.

DawnT

• Total Posts: 1286
        Re:using inverters versus gensets Thu, 11/3/11 11:54 PM (permalink)
        You're going to need AGM glass matt batteries. They have the characteristics of Gell Cells w/o the frailty of them. We use Optima Blue Tops which are rated like NC-24 marine deep cylcle batteries. These type have all the advantages of gell cells w/o corrosive gassing and can take greuling deep cycles. Perfect for indoors without having to worry about corrosion or maintainace. A good charger like Xanthrex's Statpower series and a battery monitoring system like their Link 20 or other company's marine monitors complete a great system

Blissful Bite

• Total Posts: 55
          Re:using inverters versus gensets Fri, 11/4/11 12:02 AM (permalink)
          Way cheaper...although energy independence has its value :)  I'm sure the margin on shaved ice is huge...budget for your upgrades in the future.

Depending on the size of the motor, startup load could be double or more but an ice shaver shouldn't challenge a generator too much.

Consider an inverter generator for lower noise level and fuel efficiency...

Rubyshaveice

Re:using inverters versus gensets Fri, 11/4/11 2:39 AM (permalink)
            Okay, so I have a new found love for genset$!
            They're kind of sexy if you think about it!
            Is the value of genset inverter that it's less likely to cook my appliance? or is it because it varies the engine speed for efficiency?
            Home Depot sells a Lifan brand, anyone try it? I'm sure Honda is better, but ...
            Thanks for all the advice here.

DawnT

• Total Posts: 1286
              Re:using inverters versus gensets Fri, 11/4/11 11:58 AM (permalink)
              There's Honda and there's everything else. You get what you pay for.

lornaschinske

• Total Posts: 1610
                Re:using inverters versus gensets Fri, 11/4/11 12:45 PM (permalink)
                DawnT

There's Honda and there's everything else. You get what you pay for.

Not necessarily. You are paying a great deal for the Honda name. Many of the gensets are built by the same chinese company. What you REALLLY need to watch for is the decibels rating. The Honda EUs are "brain dead" choices as they are marketed as being quiet and prominently list their decibel levels. If you want to take the time and do a little homework, read the reviews on everything and compare several different brands then you can probably get a good, quiet, dependable genset for about half of what you wouldd pay for a Honda. It's like Onan is considered the best RV genset on the market. I 've got two. Got one in pieces because of the "local" Onan dealer/repair. I have had nothing but trouble with both Onans. I won't buy another over priced POS Onan ever again. Based on what I have been reading... it just might be a Lifan genset!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com