Hot!vernors ginger ale syrup

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
rdrutter
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2003/08/30 02:49:16 (permalink)

vernors ginger ale syrup

I live in New Hampshire now after growing up in Michigan. Vernors Ginger Ale doesn't seem to be available in this area. Every summer after visiting in the UP I load the van up with Vernors. Half of it is drank before getting home. Anyway, I was wondering if the syrup is available for purchase? This would be a cheaper way for me to enjoy the ale, instead of paying the high shipping costs. Any help or thoughts on this would be of great help to me and my family,

Thanks

Roger

43 Replies Related Threads

Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: vernors ginger ale syrup 2003/08/30 08:16:42 (permalink)
    I have no idea where to purchase the syrup (or if it can even be done), but here's a website that purports to give you a recipe for making the syrup yourself.

http://hcs.harvard.edu/~dins/history/gingerale.shtml

Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    RE: vernors ginger ale syrup 2003/08/30 08:21:40 (permalink)
    If you really like Ginger Ale you should try some of this product. It is all natural and damn good. Also, with a shot of Appleton Dark or Meyers, it makes a refreshing adult beverage.

http://www.reedsgingerbrew.com/aboutUs.asp

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15285
    RE: vernors ginger ale syrup 2003/08/30 09:03:22 (permalink)
    Vernor's is available "almost" Nationwide in most major supermarkets. I am sure you could find it in some of the major city markets in N H . Even many of the Walmarts now have it.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: vernors ginger ale syrup 2003/08/31 23:48:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mayhaw Man

If you really like Ginger Ale you should try some of this product. It is all natural and damn good. Also, with a shot of Appleton Dark or Meyers, it makes a refreshing adult beverage.

Reed's rocks; buy the "Premium" - it's GOOD for you, too!
    rdrutter
    Junior Burger
    RE: vernors ginger ale syrup 2003/09/01 07:02:15 (permalink)
    I appreciate all your quick responses to my cry in the woods concerning Vernors. I haven't tried the other Ginger ale yet. I haven't tried very many other ginger ales at all, maybe 4 0r 5 at the most,I am just a junior burger, what do I know
    drchanterelle
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 95
    RE: vernors ginger ale syrup 2003/09/20 08:47:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Phil J.

I have no idea where to purchase the syrup (or if it can even be done), but here's a website that purports to give you a recipe for making the syrup yourself.

http://hcs.harvard.edu/~dins/history/gingerale.shtml

Phil J., Much thanks for the Vernor's recipe link; many fond memories of that ginger ale epiphany! - I'll make it today and let you know how it compares to the real thing. But it looks right. Them Harvard boys is sumpin, ain't they?
    With appreciation,
    drchanterelle
    Herron
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: vernors ginger ale syrup 2003/09/20 10:03:16 (permalink)
    But, won't you have to wait a couple of years while it ages in an oak cask to give us the review ? We are Vernor's lovers who visit Michigan regularly to stock up on it. If you are near Flint, Michigan, the Vernor's mural (with gnomes demonstrating the process of aging the ginger ale in oak barrels) next to Halo Burgers is a must-see.
    Wistah
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 218
    RE: vernors ginger ale syrup 2003/09/21 13:04:47 (permalink)
    rdrutter:

Like you I am a Michigan transplant in New England (central MA).

I have never found Vernors in supermarkets around here.

If you ever get to the Boston/Cambridge area, Mile High Bread Company, a sandwich shop in the Huron/Concord area of Cambridge, sells Vernors in cans. I was SURPRISED when I saw it there, apparenlty the shop owners are from MI and have it shipped in.

There are other good ginger ales, like Reeds as someone mentioned; however they are all PALE DRY ginger ales, while Vernors is unique as a GOLDEN ginger ale, a comletely different taste.

Nothing like Vernors with a scoop of vanilla ice cream....
    drchanterelle
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 95
    RE: vernors ginger ale syrup 2003/09/22 00:24:23 (permalink)
    Made the Vernor's recipe today < http://hcs.harvard.edu/~dins/history/gingerale.shtml> It's a fine drink, but has a few flaws when compared with Vernor's. But as I look at the website again, I wonder if this recipe is for Vernor's or Dr Brown's? Having never tasted Dr Brown's, I don't know. I remember Vernor's as an intensly flavored ginger ale, and this one is rather subtle. In fact, it's the lemon flavor which predominates, rather than the ginger and vanilla I remember. In fairness, I may have shorted on the ginger ("a four inch piece" is less than definative!). I'd go heavier next time. Same for the vanilla. I'm also not used to the taste of stevia, and how it might have affected the taste. I think I've only tasted Vernor's in a sugar base, and not to use sugar could result in a significant change.
    But, as I said, it's a fine drink in it's own right, and I'm going to try it again.
    John
    Geoff Steinberg
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: vernors ginger ale syrup 2003/09/25 02:51:01 (permalink)
    Ginger ale - and all soda pop- pretty much runs through me so I don't drink much of it. Though my doctor denies it, I believe that my bladder stopped growing when I was 6 or so and it's now super small. The worst part is at the movies I love popcorn and coke, but the coke goes through me almost right away and I wind up missing half the movie and watch a urinal cake instead.
    Sonlyme
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: vernors ginger ale syrup 2003/11/01 23:18:01 (permalink)
    I too grew up in MI, sampled many another gingerale and have yet to find one to equal Vernor's! I know its available in Buffalo, NY; parts of Publix supermarkets in FL and sometimes Food Lion in PA. And I just found suppliers on-line. I'd love to find a supplier in NJ area though. Good luck to us all in the quest.[:D
    quote:
    Originally posted by rdrutter

I live in New Hampshire now after growing up in Michigan. Vernors Ginger Ale doesn't seem to be available in this area. Every summer after visiting in the UP I load the van up with Vernors. Half of it is drank before getting home. Anyway, I was wondering if the syrup is available for purchase? This would be a cheaper way for me to enjoy the ale, instead of paying the high shipping costs. Any help or thoughts on this would be of great help to me and my family,

Thanks

Roger
    dendan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: vernors ginger ale syrup 2003/11/04 14:19:49 (permalink)
    A little late in on this topic. While Vernor's is OK, I have found a regional one in the Tidewater area of VA - Northern Neck Ginger Ale . Excellent. Not sure if it will change now that Coca-Cola has taken over." />
    Ameliaamy
    Junior Burger
    RE: vernors ginger ale syrup 2003/11/16 14:28:27 (permalink)
    Two things:

1. Polar Beverages here in Worcester, MA makes a Golden Ginger Ale. I don't think it's quite as good, but at least it's not adry ginger ale.

2. http://www.groceries-express.com may or may not be able to sell you the syrup. I found an order form on tehir website for four 1 gallon containers, but I haven't been able to find it recently. If you calll or e-mail they might be able to help you.

Personally, I'm looking for a Vernors Ice cream recipe, but I think I would need the syrup to make it without it being too icy. And I don't plan to make 4 gallons of syrup with of Ice cream!!!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15285
    RE: vernors ginger ale syrup 2003/11/16 17:08:39 (permalink)
    Welcome to the group A-Amy. There is nothing like an Iced 1 liter of Vernors to refresh oneself on a hot humid summer day.
    AL
    mvanpatten
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: vernors ginger ale syrup 2003/11/16 21:02:34 (permalink)
    Yes, there is nothing like Vernor's with ice cream. But close second is Faygo Rock and Rye float! Another great Michigan product junk food![|)]
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: vernors ginger ale syrup 2003/11/16 22:55:00 (permalink)
    Well, born and raised in Michigan, moved on down south then replanted back in Michigan... Guess I probably shouldnt mention I'm using Vernors at the moment as a mixer... (And it is tasty!)... I'd suggest getting a 5 gallon syrup bag, but being a former bartender, that crap dont even come close... Best thing to do is find one of your smaller distributing companys and start bugging them to stock it! If not, they may be able to steer you to the closest distributer that carries the product...
    vitoaiuto
    Junior Burger
    RE: vernors ginger ale syrup 2003/12/20 01:13:10 (permalink)
    I grew up in Mich., a big Vernor's fan, but one thing I've always wondered: how can the current Vernor's recipe be the classic, original recipe by Mr. Vernor when one of the ingredients listed is "Artificial Flavor"? I'm just curious, not trying to burst anyone's bubble.
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: vernors ginger ale syrup 2003/12/20 03:10:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dendan

A little late in on this topic. While Vernor's is OK, I have found a regional one in the Tidewater area of VA - Northern Neck Ginger Ale . Excellent. Not sure if it will change now that Coca-Cola has taken over." />

Ale 8 1 is a ginger ale bottled by a family company in Winchester, Kentucky that elicits enormous loyalty from it's fans. Stories regularly appear in our paper about people making trips home from far corners to get their "supply". I would have to characterize Ale 8 1 as mild in spiciness, but refreshing. Quite a few Ale 8 1 fans consider themselves Ale 8 1 addicts.

Another regional favorite in the South is Blenheims, a ginger ale particular to South Carolina that comes in two versions, Hot and Not So Hot. Both are pretty spicy tasting. Blenheims is beloved by its fans, much like our Ale 8 1.
    Richard Brooks Alba
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 93
    RE: vernors ginger ale syrup 2003/12/22 18:19:42 (permalink)
    The closest I ever got to heaven at a fountain....
    ...Was in 2000 at the soda dispenser at a Ford complex employee cafeteria in Dearborn - never in my California days/daze had I seen Vernor's in any other form than can or bottle, and here it was dispensed like every other soda brand. I may have had something decent to eat at that meal, too, but I only remember my 32oz. styrofoam cup of bliss with crushed [NOT cubed] ice - hmmmmmmm, I was ready for the hereafter at that point. Now I keep an eye out for the 2-liter bottles that help me through my times of need....
    Buen provecho,
    Richard
    Berkeley/SF, CA
    essvee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: vernors ginger ale syrup 2003/12/22 19:15:49 (permalink)
    I like Vernor's cuz it tastes like it's already got the bourbon in it.
    pigface
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: vernors ginger ale syrup 2003/12/27 20:11:49 (permalink)
    Gosh I feel Guilty ....
    Drinking one as I read the thread ...

I contend that Vernors was different in my Youth
    When we could still buy an old Vernors Barrel, smelling STRONG of ginger
    and lined with sugar crystals

Living in Detroit has it's advantages
    Vernors
    Last Season's Tigers
    This Season's Lions
    rach2674
    Junior Burger
    RE: vernors ginger ale syrup 2004/03/21 10:20:41 (permalink)
    I grew up in Michigan too. I had a hard time finding Vernors a lot of places. They sell it in a few grocery stores here in Las Vegas, but it's 3.99 for a six pack! I wish it was cheaper..I'd buy it all the time. I do load up when I go back to MI, but it's too hard to bring back when I fly.

Rachel
    Rapunzll
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: vernors ginger ale syrup 2004/03/23 15:48:52 (permalink)
    When we lived in TX, we took some Vernors back with us and shared it with some of our friends. It's always fun to see the reaction of a newbie Vernors drinker when they get those bubbles up their noses!

Does anyone know why a Vernors and ice cream float is called a Boston Cooler? I never could figure that out!

My mom used to make us Vernors and Cream. Take a little cream and put it in your glass, maybe an inch or two and then pour in your Vernors. She used to stop on her way home from school with her friends and get that as a treat, and it is sooooo good!
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: vernors ginger ale syrup 2004/03/23 16:24:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by pigface

Gosh I feel Guilty ....
    Drinking one as I read the thread ...

I contend that Vernors was different in my Youth
    When we could still buy an old Vernors Barrel, smelling STRONG of ginger
    and lined with sugar crystals

Living in Detroit has it's advantages
    Vernors
    Last Season's Tigers

I agree that Vernors was different in Youth.. Used to have more flavor and more of a snap to it...

This Season's Lions
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: vernors ginger ale syrup 2004/03/23 16:27:02 (permalink)
    Hmmm... Something went awry with responding to the above post...
    As I was saying, Vernors was much better back in the Youth days! Had more flavor and more of a snap to it... Oh I see what I did... Dohhh...

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: vernors ginger ale syrup 2004/03/23 16:57:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by rdrutter

Thanks

Roger

Hey Roger, did a little thinking back.. The bar I worked at bought the bags from a place called "Bar Beverage Control Inc., 616-698-8828" located here in Grand Rapids Michigan. I know they will carry the syrup bags, but talking them into shipping one might be another story in itself! Look in the Yellow Pages under Beverage Dispensing Equipment & Supplies. Try some of your local dealers.
    rdrutter
    Junior Burger
    RE: vernors ginger ale syrup 2004/03/24 17:26:46 (permalink)
    ALRIGHTY THEN!!!!!!!
    I just placed an order 5 gals of syrup at 5 to 1 which makes 30 gals of vernors ,, hmm now to find the rest of the equipment to have my own Vernors on tap at home. Mmm now to check the net for Dispensor Equipment .

Thanks Uncle Vic
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: vernors ginger ale syrup 2004/03/24 20:18:46 (permalink)
    Well, call one of your local soda distributors (Like Coke, Pepsi, 7-up) and ask if they have any used equipment for sale. Also seen tons of systems on Ebay fairly cheap (Less the expensive shipping)...
    talespinner
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: vernors ginger ale syrup 2004/03/24 23:30:43 (permalink)
    Being a Michigan boy, I fell in love with Vernors as a kid and still ocnsider it my favorite soft drink..... it has not been produced here in Michigan for almost 20 years though, except by a few independent bottlers..... it is currently a product brand of Cadbury/7-UP/RC in Texas.... yet it still does not have national distribution and absolutely zilch in the way of advertising or marketing... the farthest out of Michigan I have seen it is in northern Virginia... yet it is still considered a Michigan treasure.... I will never understand why someone hasn't take it nationwide
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1