wafels and dinges truck (with pics)

Author
billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2393
2008/02/15 23:56:56 (permalink)

wafels and dinges truck (with pics)

After I ate at Five Guys today, I made my way down to Trader Joe's on 14th Street in Manhattan. Outside the store was a truck selling belgian wafels and dinges. I forgot to ask exactly what "dinges" are and I couldn't find a definition on their website at wafelsanddinges.com. It lists where their truck will be on what days. I've seen it before outside of the Fairway market on Broadway and 74th Street and outside the 6 train stop at Astor Place.

The truck

The menu. Sorry, this was the best shot I could get. They have a nice big readable version of it on the website.

The brussels wafel and the liege wafel. I opted for the brussels as the liege were pre-made and would just be warmed up in the iron. He made mine while I waited.

My brussels wafel with Belgian chocolate fudge sauce. The sauce seemed to have seized up somewhat at first when he tried to pump it on to the wafel, but it melted nicely on my warm treat and it was pleasantly bittersweet, complemented perfectly by the dusting of confectioner's sugar. Nice and crispy with a faint sugar flavor, but not too sweet. I think the chocolate and sugar topping took care of that just fine! It was $4 for the wafel and an extra $1 for the topping. Well worth it and a great snack before I went shopping at TJ's. They also have topping such as strawberries, dulce de leche, Nutella and maple syrup.

Another shot of my wafel.

6 Replies Related Threads

David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2164
    RE: wafels and dinges truck (with pics) 2008/02/18 13:41:04 (permalink)
    There is a word in both German and Dutch language, ding, that translates into thing. So, I think you can safely think of the business as "Waffles and Things".

The waffles look great and I am looking forward to trying one. I am still trying to find a Brussels waffle that is exactly the same as those "Belgian" waffles sold at several booths scattered around the 1964-1965 New York World's Fair. I once saw a concession at the New York State Fair in Syracuse selling Belgian Waffles that I passed by after trying so many waffles over the years that just did not come close to the original. I later learned the concession was operated by one of the people at the 1964-1965 NYWF. Because the waffles were made in booths like you see at street fairs, most of the ingredients were stored in plain sight. Since my parents were friends with a lot of retail bakers back then and I got into the back of many bakeries, I noticed the ingredients were of the sort that came from the baking ingredient supplies such as Inter-County Bakers and Otto Brehm. The dairy products must have all been fresh milk and cream, as the empty five gallon stainless steel containers were stored in the booth awaiting pickup. You could see the big sacks of confectioners (powdered) sugar, etc. The strawberries were fresh (whole berries were stored in the booth), as was the whipped cream. No Reddi-Whip. In short, they were prepared from scratch. I fear that if Wafels & Dinges serves a waffle as currently prepared in Brussels, I may not like it as much as the ones from Flushing Meadow.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4561
    RE: wafels and dinges truck (with pics) 2008/02/18 14:44:35 (permalink)
    The menu on the side of the truck lists the dinges, which appear to be toppings :-)

Lookin good
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2164
    RE: wafels and dinges truck (with pics) 2008/02/18 16:10:07 (permalink)
    I thought at first they were toppings, too. Then, I saw Perrier listed under "Wet Dinges". Who pours water on desert cakes? In any event, I know German immigrants who pronounce "I have too many things to do" as "I haff zu many dings to doo".
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: wafels and dinges truck (with pics) 2008/02/18 16:50:20 (permalink)
    Ooops! Agreed :-)

TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: wafels and dinges truck (with pics) 2008/02/21 11:09:00 (permalink)
    This truck was capsule reviewed on today on Eating in Translation

http://www.eatingintranslation.com/2008/02/wafels-and-ding.html
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: wafels and dinges truck (with pics) 2008/02/24 01:29:42 (permalink)
    Is Wafels und Dings teaming up with the Mud coffee truck?
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1