wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Jeza
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No? 2006/03/22 05:16:55 (permalink)
Depends on the establishment. If its formal sit down service definately not. If its a casual bar etc..then its probably acceptable. A bar I frequent all of the bar team have piercings and tattoos. Cool place and cool people, but not one of my team is permitted to.
bassrocker4u2
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 534
RE: wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No? 2006/03/22 07:07:54 (permalink)
when our kids are grown, and running these places, i wonder if they will still be wearing all that stuff on their faces. and why oh why would someone wnat a piece of steel in their mouth? i just can figure it out. sure dont seem sanitary.

how about a server that comes up to your table, and either reeks of cigarette smoke, or of some perfume, or cologne?
either way, i would loose my appetite!
dreamzpainter
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No? 2006/03/22 10:07:43 (permalink)
Like field I have had long hair for the past 30 yrs as well as a full beard and I know there have been jobs I didn't get because of societies prejudices, there is also the looks one gets and people who hold back at the entrance to a store etc, but I figure that's thier problem. I tease my future daughterinlaw that she looks like she fell in my tackle box, she has multipul ear peircings and a nose stud that to me just looks like a shiny pimple...shrug.... Personally I wont let a waitstaffs facial jewelry or art work effect my meal as much as having to wear a jacket and tie.
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1187
RE: wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No? 2006/03/22 11:05:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Pigiron

quote:
Originally posted by jmckee
Tattoos and piercings are a choice -- a choice to say "Look at me! I'm really weird!"

These things are "weird" because you don't like them? Talk about nonsense.

Not at all. Things are "weird" because there used to be standards. Just like there was a time when people would not dream of sitting down to dinner with a cap on. Or wearing pants with the crotch down to the knees. Or having profanity-laced conversations in public and equally profane bumper stickers on their cars where any impressionable child could be.

Incidentally, the ones with the big tongue posts who also wear braces sound like Morse code when they talk.
drsmoke02
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 250
RE: wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No? 2006/03/22 14:00:11 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Pigiron

quote:
Tattoos and piercings are a choice -- a choice to say "Look at me! I'm really weird!"

These things are "weird" because you don't like them? Talk about nonsense.

Not at all. Things are "weird" because there used to be standards. Just like there was a time when people would not dream of sitting down to dinner with a cap on. Or wearing pants with the crotch down to the knees. Or having profanity-laced conversations in public and equally profane bumper stickers on their cars where any impressionable child could be.

Incidentally, the ones with the big tongue posts who also wear braces sound like Morse code when they talk.

So in other words what your saying is that if someone says hello to Jeepguy,his response is,..- --- ... -.- --. -...--
AndreaB
  • Total Posts : 1303
RE: wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No? 2006/03/22 14:09:07 (permalink)
Piercings / tattoos don't bother me as a customer, as
long as the person is clean. But, I always shudder to think how those tattoos are going to look years down the road in the nursing home!
Hair color / style, wild piercings, tattoos I don't care as long as the service is good, the people are clean, and the food is good.

Andrea
Catracks
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 196
RE: wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No? 2006/03/22 15:58:41 (permalink)
The hair thing reminds me of my husband. he is a heavy equipment operator with long hair and goatee type beard. He probably be asked to trim the beard (most scruffy :-))

He would be hired as a waiter in a steakhouse, but not an upscale place. If he walked in for an office job; he would certainly not get it.

It's not discrimination. It's a dress code. There are set standards in some circumstances.

Jennifer_4
  • Total Posts : 1510
RE: wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No? 2006/03/22 16:27:07 (permalink)
I know in certain restaurants, the policy is "nothing that shows, either remove it for work or cover it up", This seems like a good policy, you are allowing people's "freedom of expression" without offending or scaring away customers.. of course these are family restaurants... in the tougher, hipper places, this kind of thing is encouraged and welcomed.. I remember places where you couldn't get hired on without looking outrageous.. i.e. pink hair, mohawks, tats and piercings. So I think it depends on the place.
I don't however like the attitude of "accept me as I am world!", Not if you expect to get a job in a regular sort of place. Grownups make concessions if they want to make a decent living.
Burgerman1
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 51
RE: wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No? 2006/03/22 16:38:45 (permalink)
I simply don't hire anyone with strange colored hair, facial piercings or very obvious tatoos, and I also don't hire smokers. If some gets a facial piercing, obvious tatoo, colors their hair or starts smoking after they are employed here, I will fire them.

My place, my rules.
cheftom
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No? 2006/03/22 19:58:20 (permalink)
I run a catering company and during business hours the ONLY jewlery allowed is a wedding ring. No engagement rings or any other jewlery, it is not sanitary for my customers.

Tatoos must also be conceled. and long hair must be put up and be a natural color. No droopy drawers, I will work short staffed than be embarred for my customers, who pay me good money to impress their friends and business associates. If they want to work for me, they work by my policies.
dogmeat
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 113
RE: wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No? 2006/03/22 20:06:03 (permalink)
Unless you are working in a parlor, it just doesn't seem to work out. Especially if you are a waiter and dealing with older people you really are not giving yourself a chance. The whole idea is to make an income and if you plan to carry all the "extra" ink and steel you better have a golden personality and a great sense of humor.
Greyghost
  • Total Posts : 1336
RE: wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No? 2006/03/22 22:01:59 (permalink)
Hmm...I just noticed that Google has seen fit to give this thread an ad from piercedworld.com.
As Riley would have said, "What a revolting development this is!"

I really don't mind the Google ads that much...the site should be able to make money, but I don't think that many people will be clicking on that particular ad.

I think the bottom line on this thread is why on earth would anyone field a wait staff that most customers would find revolting. To me this is a no-brainer from the start.
V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No? 2006/03/23 10:05:41 (permalink)
I've had a ponytail, a high & tight and a general business cut at various times in my life. Been clean shaven for thirty years just because my beard comes in w/ four colors...looks stupid.

I pierced my ear in college and took it out a week later...again it just looked stupid. I looked stupid, other people look good. Where I live now, piedmont NC to hell and gone redneck land, I am avoided, shunned, laughed at because I wear a suit during the week.

Our catering business had to put a bandaid over a worker's tat because it offended the customer. Worker had no problem but my wife was totally pissed. The worker was a gang member who has turned her life around. One of the best station chefs I've ever had.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that something will always offend someone. A suit...a nose ring...a tear tat...you have to know your customers and your area.

The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3755
RE: wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No? 2006/03/23 17:37:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Greyghost

I think the bottom line on this thread is why on earth would anyone field a wait staff that most customers would find revolting. To me this is a no-brainer from the start.

While never missing an opportunity to chain bash....

I think that the above sentiment is part of what keeps corporate restaurants in business. You want to go to a place where no servers have tatoos or piercings, then go to Olive Garden or some other place where it is against their corporate policy.

On the other hand, I had lunch today at the Dinosaur BBQ restaurant in Rochester. The place is a biker bar (not quite as much as their original location in Syracuse, but still...) that serves great BBQ. Stephen Rushmore, Jr. said in a previous thread that Dinosaur is his favorite BBQ in the COUNTRY (I am paraphrasing, but I am pretty sure that I got the gist of that right). A server there with no tattoos or piercings would be in the minority. Still, the service is excellent, the place is always packed (there is usually an hour-plus wait at prime lunch times and more for dinner), and the food is delicious. I don't think that the owners are going to start making a stand to eliminate workers with tattoos and piercings any time soon.

So, I guess maybe it is not quite a "no brainer" nor do I think that "most customers" find this "revolting." I am inclined to think that the average age of those who do find this "revolting" are maybe 60+, while anyone my age (which I will only say is the prime demographic that ALL advertisers aspire to reach because we THEORETICALLY have the most disposable income to spend on such luxuries as dining out!) would not even think twice about this appearance.
damon2
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 47
RE: wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No? 2006/03/25 19:13:25 (permalink)
depends on the restuarant, I've a small town cafe..and I don't allow them...I'm looking at opening a second one in a University student area, and if I do..at that one it'll be fine...all depends on your customer base
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1