wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
andreashafer
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
2006/03/21 12:30:00 (permalink)

wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No?

I was just curious what the folks on here think of hiring wait staff with facial pericings?please respond!

44 Replies Related Threads

Pigiron
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No? 2006/03/21 12:42:05 (permalink)
    I don't think I've been to a restaurant south of 14th street in NY in the past 10 years where my waitperson DIDN'T have all kinds of piercings.

I don't personally find it appealing, but it doesn't bother me in the least if a restaurant worker is pierced. It's the way of the world (well, at least in some places) at this particular moment.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13521
    RE: wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No? 2006/03/21 12:47:27 (permalink)
    I personally do not prefer to see folks with lots of tatto's and piercing. That being aside, the younger set is changing and I find that more and more of the folks are doing this.

I recently was in a industry (medical) and we hired a lot of folks between 18-25. If our criterior was "no piercing or tatto's", we would not have been able to hire many people. Young folks with excessive and disruptive decoration were carefully rejected. Excessive decoration was a little difficult to quanify.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Fieldthistle
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No? 2006/03/21 12:52:34 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    How many people aren't hired because of gray hair or wrinkles?
    Wrinkles are nature's tatto's.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    jmckee
    • Total Posts : 1188
    RE: wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No? 2006/03/21 13:01:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Fieldthistle

Hello All,
    How many people aren't hired because of gray hair or wrinkles?
    Wrinkles are nature's tatto's.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle

Nonsense. Wrinkles and gray hair are not a choice. They happen, if you're mature enough to allow them. Tattoos and piercings are a choice -- a choice to say "Look at me! I'm really weird!"

I personally am repulsed by waitstaff and other customer service people who have so mutilated themselves with piercings and tattoos. If they are at the register at a store I frequent, I will wait to make my purchase some other time.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No? 2006/03/21 13:02:59 (permalink)
    I don't mind them in a seafood type place. I just figure they were catching the fish of the day and got the lures stuck in their face. And the guy with all the tatoos he was the skipper of the boat. Chow Jim
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No? 2006/03/21 13:13:20 (permalink)
    I'm 48 and have a pierced ear.Many years ago i did this.Not really into women with tramp stamps.I have a 21 y/o coworker that has a post through his lip.He's planning on becoming a police officer.Great kid!
    Fieldthistle
    RE: wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No? 2006/03/21 13:16:38 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    jmckee, sorry, I think I didn't make myself clear.
    We are expected to accept tattos and piercings, but discriminate against gray hair and wrinkles.
    My point was that we discriminate against those who have no choice over what is happening because of ageing.
    One of my biggest joys is educating the young guys I work with because I am ageing. I can do my job and also teach them a thing or two. I, also, have learnt a thing or two from the pieced and
    tattoed. Talent is within, not external, and time will show talent and a willing spirit to learn.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No? 2006/03/21 13:33:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jmckee
    Tattoos and piercings are a choice -- a choice to say "Look at me! I'm really weird!"

These things are "weird" because you don't like them? Talk about nonsense.
    Catracks
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 196
    RE: wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No? 2006/03/21 14:03:44 (permalink)
    I would say that people with tattoos and body piercings ARE saying, "Look at me!" If I ever do get that tattoo I've been putting off, I certainly will be saying, "Look at this. Howd'ya like the art?"

The weird part is not always true, but I know some teenagers who follow that credo.

It is hard to quantify, but almost everyone knows when a person is excessive. When working face to face with customers, a dress/appearance code is necessary.

I'd say it all depends on your clientel, but a few piercings and tattoos should be fine.
    myway
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 310
    RE: wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No? 2006/03/21 14:26:41 (permalink)
    This is a good one. It seems to me you have to look at this strictly from a customers standpoint. I go to many places, resturants, truckstops, hole in the wall pizza shops, you name it. Whenever you are in a resturant where a waitress or waiter is a," walking lightning rod", you can see the look on the other customers faces that they are not impressed with the waiters"art". I have been to many places where the customers are served by someone like that, and a soon as they walk away they are shaking they're heads. Not good business sense. Now on the opposite side of the coin, if a waiter or waitress has a couple of tasteful tattoos that can be covered during they're working hours that should not be a problem. If younger people wish to stick out with they're perceived,"look at me", apparatus, that is they're choice. But sooner or later these same people are going to have to make a decision on what means more to them, they're jobs and making a living, or they're alleged art. I know alot of the younger set. One thing I know is that eventually they get rid of the peircings and they realize it for what it was. Then they join society roll up they're sleeves and get to work. Art vs. sustainance? Which one wins. All I really know is that I refuse to be served by some kid with an infected nose stud.
    JMHO
    myway
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 310
    RE: wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No? 2006/03/21 14:29:46 (permalink)
    Oh by the way, I would rather be served by a senior citizen any day of the week. Gray hair and wrinkles are fine by me. Remeber we are ALL going to be that way one day. God bless our seasoned citizens what would life be like without them.
    drsmoke02
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 250
    RE: wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No? 2006/03/21 14:48:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jeepguy

I'm 48 and have a pierced ear.Many years ago i did this.Not really into women with tramp stamps.I have a 21 y/o coworker that has a post through his lip.He's planning on becoming a police officer.Great kid!

Yeah,but your earlobe with the hole in it probably came from one of your fans who got their hands on a spear!
    Fieldthistle
    RE: wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No? 2006/03/21 14:56:44 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    I have long hair. I have not gotten many jobs because of my hair. (I am male)
    It always p-ssed me off. I chose the price and wished society would change.
    I keep my hair long now at the age of 50, but understand that some people just
    won't accept me. I believe that external judging is wrong, but it is a reality.
    So if I were a businessperson I would temper my judgment on reality. A college
    bar can accept anything, but a family restaurant with a goth, pierced, tatto waitstaff
    makes no sense. We create our ghettoes. If you don't believe in ghettoes, then
    change your perceptions. Unfortunately, it is easier to make bad changes than good
    ones. Then, there is the problem of what is good and what is bad.
    The "good" people will try to reform the "bad" or "less fortunate", and the "bad" or
    "less fortunate" will be be reformed to A POINT. Some people just have a different
    identity and point of view, and use their bodies to show it. Some are just drifters,
    momentary rebels, floating until they find themselves. Some are just the good people
    who fit into the system. The thing is, we all have to fit into the system, and the system
    MUST fit all of us. It's a hard dream to dream, but we are living a vision of God, always in
    the state of confusion because we are human. Because we are human, we must find a place to
    fit all of us.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    Leania_1stone
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 208
    RE: wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No? 2006/03/21 15:09:00 (permalink)
    Doesn't bother me at all pierced or tat's none of that stuff does...we all have a right to express ourselves and if that is how it is chosen to be done so be it.

I myself have tat's and pierced eyebrow and ears you can either accept me or not won't hurt my feelings none.

My sister has gotten turned down for many jobs because she has many peircings and wears dreds and has tat's even though she is a fantastic person and a hard worker I do agree you should look nice but you shouldn't lose your independence because of it.

Does that all make sense? LOL
    drsmoke02
    Cheeseburger
    RE: wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No? 2006/03/21 15:22:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Leania_1stone

Doesn't bother me at all pierced or tat's none of that stuff does...we all have a right to express ourselves and if that is how it is chosen to be done so be it.

I myself have tat's and pierced eyebrow and ears you can either accept me or not won't hurt my feelings none.

My sister has gotten turned down for many jobs because she has many peircings and wears dreds and has tat's even though she is a fantastic person and a hard worker I do agree you should look nice but you shouldn't lose your independence because of it.

Does that all make sense? LOL

no.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3759
    RE: wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No? 2006/03/21 15:32:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Fieldthistle

Hello All,
    I have long hair. I have not gotten many jobs because of my hair. (I am male)
    It always p-ssed me off. I chose the price and wished society would change.

When I started reading this, I immediately thought of how many people who are against this now were the same people who were told to cut their hair in the '60's.

The key is to know the environment and know what is and is not professional. Is IBM going to hire someone with their eyebrow pierced and a bar through their tongue? Probably not, but Microsoft will. I met their campus recruiter a few years ago -- tattoos, piercings and blue (not that kind!) hair. She did her job really well, and related to the people that she needed to relate to.

If a server in a restaurant has an excessive amount of piercings and tattoos, and you are offended by this, chances are that you are not in their target demographic.
    prisonchef
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 296
    RE: wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No? 2006/03/21 16:08:42 (permalink)
    field,
    you make a good point as all your posts do.
    jack
    porkbeaks
    • Total Posts : 2217
    RE: wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No? 2006/03/21 16:46:47 (permalink)
    If he/she could clearly announce the specials without any impedence by the tongue studs, I can't see a problem. pb
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No? 2006/03/21 16:58:21 (permalink)
    EVEN THOUGH, I have 3 tattoos(all in "covered" places, unless I chose to show them), and 4 each holes in each of my ears, I can't really look at the nose, lip, eyebrow piercings(all being the "bar" type), it just hurts me, especially the nose area. And as silly as it may seem, I wonder how they blow their nose....it just kinda turns me off.
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 832
    RE: wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No? 2006/03/21 17:06:32 (permalink)
    I'm sorry, but we are both offended when our wait person has piercing of the lip, nose, or tongue. Ears are fine but we have a problem getting past the others.

Dennis in Cary
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No? 2006/03/21 18:03:12 (permalink)
    Personally, I cant stand that crap. But then to each their own... But back in my hippy days, nobody liked my long hair and long goatee.. Got over it, well not so much the goatee part.. Was just a thing of the times. As long as there's not some type of infection dripping out, have at it...

pcdiva
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 591
    RE: wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No? 2006/03/21 18:14:34 (permalink)
    A small nose stud, small eyebrow ring, tongue stud, multiple earrings (to a point)or tattoos don't bother me. But once the heavy stainless steel is in sight, it just turns me off. If I wonder how someone would go through the metal detector at the airport, then it is TOO MUCH.

I also don't want to know about whatever else someone might have pierced. Don't care, don't want to see it, lived with someone who liked it and have therapy bills to remember him by...

When I worked in our restaurants we could wear a watch and a wedding ring. And had to ditch the watch while preparing food. I did wear a Medic Alert necklace as well, but got permission to do so. And sent a lot of watches through the clothes washer in my pockets! I'm in the office now, and have only added one ring to that get up, and I wear it on a finger, not in my nose!

nvb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No? 2006/03/21 18:15:29 (permalink)
    I've hired a couple of kids that had some piercings and they knew from the start they would not be allowed to wear them while at work. In this small countryfied place I would lose business over it.
    Greyghost
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No? 2006/03/21 18:56:08 (permalink)
    In a word:

No!
    joanie41
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 401
    RE: wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No? 2006/03/21 19:11:15 (permalink)
    Eh. Like everything else in life, it's all relative. When I was growing up in the '60s and '70s, it was considered pretty "edgy" to have pierced ears. By this, I mean one piercing in each ear lobe. Now everyone I know has at least one hole in each, except for maybe my mother-in-law (and she has a hard time finding comfortable clip-on earrings!) I've always disliked tattoos, but they are what is "in fashion" now. I'm finishing up a very demanding doctoral program at present, and even in that milieu, most of the woman have multiple piercings and tattoos (although they are usually in spots that can be covered). I dislike the tongue piercings because it makes the person talking sound like an idiot.

Bottom line is, it depends where you work. If you are working on Capitol Hill, you're probably not gonna get away with blue hair, and multiple facial piercings. Same with a buttoned-down law firm. The people I know who will be going into retail or hospital pharmacy will probably NOT be allowed to show their tatts or body piercings. That's just life. You wanna show 'em, find a field that allows it. Until that time, if you're smart, you'll get all those piercings, etc, in a spot where the sun don't shine!
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No? 2006/03/21 19:27:08 (permalink)
    A lot of waitstaff in Portland have piercings and tatoos, especially in the younger, more hip set.If the food and/or coffee is good, I don't care. Many of the young staff I supervise have piercings and I have found it makes no difference in the quality of their work.
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No? 2006/03/21 20:18:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by drsmoke02

quote:

Yeah,but your earlobe with the hole in it probably came from one of your fans who got their hands on a spear!
    No actually it came from a buddy,an ice cube and a potato-and a big sewing needle.Get back in your kitchen junior.
    drsmoke02
    Cheeseburger
    RE: wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No? 2006/03/21 21:26:38 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by drsmoke02

quote:

No actually it came from a buddy,an ice cube and a potato-and a big sewing needle.Get back in your kitchen junior.

Jeepguy, I have no doubt you are the guy who stamped on the mouse,the french guy had,in the movie, "The Green Mile"

Do you live anywhere the Golden Gate Bridge?

fastfood
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 82
    RE: wait Staff with facial pericings Yes or No? 2006/03/22 00:10:41 (permalink)
    Its OK but not in excessive amounts.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1