• Total Posts : 1
2009/06/13 08:26:24 (permalink)

walleye

who has best walleye in MI

10 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18626
    Re:walleye 2009/06/13 11:20:34 (permalink)
    rockbox

The people drifting and casting with weight-forward spinners tipped with nightcrawlers.

By the way, welcome to Roadfood.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13521
    Re:walleye 2009/06/13 14:06:36 (permalink)
    rockbox

As Michael indicated, those who catch them.  I wish I had the opportunity to have walleye in Michigan but I have always had white fish there.  I always got walleye in MN in Brainered in Minneapolis.  Black Bear in Brainered and Twin Cities Grill in the Mall of American in Minneapolis.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8474
    Re:walleye 2009/06/13 15:13:00 (permalink)
    I dont know about walleye in Michigan, but the best walleye i ever had was panfried by Ted Nugent(!) at the Milw.Sports show.He caught it in upper Wi., near the Minnesota border.He also taught lessons on how to fish for them...the best fish I had in Michigan were sunfish-caught early in the morning at a little lake I cant remember,panfried over an open campfire.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6393
    Re:walleye 2009/06/13 15:50:10 (permalink)
    You mean CANADIAN Walleye. Michael Hoffman pretty much said it all. Even in Minnesota where the Walleye is much more available it is still mostly Canadian except in a few instances like annpeeples experienced.

My collection and mostly Minnesotan.

http://web.mac.com/davydd/Site/Comfort_Cuisine/Pages/Walleye_Sandwiches.html

Just by reputation the Tavern on Grand in St. Paul, MN is the signature source in the Twin Cities though there are many just as good and maybe better. The Walleye sandwich is almost a necessary addition to every bar/grill and restaurant in Minnesota that serves fish sandwiches where perch and whitefish might take precedent in Wisconsin and Michigan.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:walleye 2009/06/13 18:00:01 (permalink)
    Considering that the Western Basin of Lake Erie is correctly known as the Walleye Capital of the World, and that 40 percent of the walleyes swimming in Lake Erie spawn in Ohio waters of the lake and its tributaries, with 10 percent spawning in Michigan's waters of the lake and its tributaries, 10 percent spawning in Pennsylvania's waters and tributaries of the lake of the lake and another 10 percent doing the same thing in New York's portion of the lake and its tributaries, I'd have to saw that most of the walleyes in Lake Erie are not Canadian.
    douginvirginia
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    Re:walleye 2009/06/14 07:05:47 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

Considering that the Western Basin of Lake Erie is correctly known as the Walleye Capital of the World, and that 40 percent of the walleyes swimming in Lake Erie spawn in Ohio waters of the lake and its tributaries, with 10 percent spawning in Michigan's waters of the lake and its tributaries, 10 percent spawning in Pennsylvania's waters and tributaries of the lake of the lake and another 10 percent doing the same thing in New York's portion of the lake and its tributaries, I'd have to saw that most of the walleyes in Lake Erie are not Canadian.

I believe Davydd was referring to the fact that retaurants cannot sell walleye from American waters. There is no commercial walleye fishery in the US.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6393
    Re:walleye 2009/06/14 10:46:46 (permalink)
    That's exactly what I meant. Maybe it is true the Walleye spawn in Ohio Lake Erie waters, but they must high-tail it to Canada to get caught.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:walleye 2009/06/14 11:21:29 (permalink)
    douginvirginia

Michael Hoffman

I believe Davydd was referring to the fact that retaurants cannot sell walleye from American waters. There is no commercial walleye fishery in the US.

I assumed that. I was merely being my usual smarta$$ self.

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10324
    Re:walleye 2009/06/14 11:42:36 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

douginvirginia

Michael Hoffman

I assumed that. I was merely being my usual smarta$$ self.

We a$$umed that since your percentages only add up to 70%!!
    Where do the other 30% spawn??
    DavyDD has the answer--In the Canadian Commercial Fisheries territory!!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:walleye 2009/06/14 11:43:07 (permalink)
    Davydd

That's exactly what I meant. Maybe it is true the Walleye spawn in Ohio Lake Erie waters, but they must high-tail it to Canada to get caught.

Actually, they head for Canadian waters of Lake Erie as the water warms in July, but we arrest a good number of Canadian gillnetters poaching on the U.S. side of the lake each year.

Ohio banned commercial walleye fishing in the '70s, and with any luck a ban on commercial perch fishing will finally be put in place.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1