"wasted experience" anyone

Author
mobilechef
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
2012/12/29 05:42:44 (permalink)

"wasted experience" anyone

In the movie "A Bronx Tale"
Robert Di Niro said "the sadist thing in life is wasted talent" Well I think "the sadist thing in life is wasted experience" as many people have had by going to: "Guy's American Kitchen and Bar" in Time Square. For a person being in as many successful restaurants and eaten all that food on
"Triple D" you would have thought he would have learned something.

10 Replies Related Threads

Ice Cream Man
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1370
    Re:"wasted experience" anyone 2012/12/29 13:34:59 (permalink)
    Did you eat there ?
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10250
    Re:"wasted experience" anyone 2012/12/29 15:18:05 (permalink)
    From Experience:
    You can concentrate your efforts and do something well or you can spread yourself so thin that you do nothing well! Food Network, Public appearances, DDD, Johnny Garlic's, Tex Wasabi's, Cookbooks, Primping in front of the mirror, Times Square Etc Etc.
    Greed, Marvelous Greed!!!
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:"wasted experience" anyone 2012/12/29 15:36:43 (permalink)
    Exactly. Some people can handle it, others.....?
    Ice Cream Man
    Re:"wasted experience" anyone 2012/12/29 19:00:38 (permalink)
    I don't get it, if someone ate at his places and didn't like it I would get that but are we against the American Dream. Do we hate all successful business people or just some. Do we call it greed if someones willing to work hard and be successful.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10250
    Re:"wasted experience" anyone 2012/12/30 02:51:55 (permalink)
    Ice Cream Man
    I don't get it, if someone ate at his places and didn't like it I would get that but are we against the American Dream. Do we hate all successful business people or just some. Do we call it greed if someones willing to work hard and be successful.

No one said anything about hating anyone. I happen to like the guy, Guy. Greed happens when you try to go beyond the limits of what you're capable of doing well in pursuit of the almighty U.S. Dollar!
    BTW, does the American Dream include Canada also?
    Shouldn't it be called the North American Dream if it does?
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:"wasted experience" anyone 2012/12/30 11:50:28 (permalink)
    I like watching Guy Fieri on TV.

This restaurant is in the likeness of Guy and has food items based on some of the featured recipes of Guy.

Guy has been very popular for a few years....and has restaurants of his own (before he started TV).

As far as this restaurant...I think other than his name & personality being crafted in his image...most other things are the decisions of the restaurant group that has executed the vision and plan in place.

It's a gigantic project with a ton of money invested. I doubt any money came from Guy. More likely he gets a portion of the profits of the restaurant and the items sold as souvenirs....in exchange for the license of his name image and personal appearance schedule.

I doubt it will be able to withstand the test of time based on the price of the menu and the reception of the menu by the majority of folks who have been there. People can snif snif about the reviews of the place but I'm sure that alone has driven countless people to go experience it themselves...or rally around Guy and showing support by showing up. That is a dynamic that will not last forever.

So it's easy to understand the feelings of anyone who would consider it a waste of an experience...an effort...an investment...etc. when it's very difficult to imagine this restaurant ever reaches or stays in the black...for very long.
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/12/30 12:05:07
    Ice Cream Man
    Re:"wasted experience" anyone 2012/12/30 14:15:26 (permalink)
    Foodbme

Ice Cream Man

No one said anything about hating anyone. I happen to like the guy, Guy. Greed happens when you try to go beyond the limits of what you're capable of doing well in pursuit of the almighty U.S. Dollar!

I wouldn't say anyone went beyond their limits unless they go bankrupted and I think Guy is far from that. The American dream comes from American T.V. Canadians only dream about Hockey.
    jman
    • Total Posts : 1359
    Re:"wasted experience" anyone 2012/12/30 14:33:18 (permalink)
    Foodbme

Ice Cream Man

"Going beyond the limits of your capabilities" can better be defined as a lack of judgment or an ill-avised or poorly executed business plan.  To define it as greed is, imo, uncalled-for.  Lots of business people over-reach when it comes to growing their brand or venturing into new markets.  That doesn't make them greedy.  Perhaps Guy got bad advice.  Perhaps Guy got good advice that didn't pan out for a variety of reasons. Perhaps he got good advice he chose to ignore.  Business expansion is a tricky business, but it isn't necessarily driven by greed.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:"wasted experience" anyone 2012/12/30 14:42:52 (permalink)
    It's not greed.

Greed is when someone else feels the ramifications of a decision or action made with the power or control one has at ones disposable...without any consideration to the impact of those actions or end-result.
    pnwchef
    • Total Posts : 2390
    Re:"wasted experience" anyone 2012/12/30 15:17:29 (permalink)
    I'll be in this area next summer, we have tickets to The Lion King. I'll have the cab driver show me where it is on my way to Peter Lugers......Winner Winner Porterhouse Steak Dinner...........................Donkey sauce, I wouldn't want to think of what end that came out of...................Guy will do well, Location is great, hip place to hang out, most people are followers, not leaders........thats why Roadfood members pave the road to great places to eat..................pnwc
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1