weird but wonderful

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
tarragon
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 354
RE: weird but wonderful 2003/10/10 20:03:28 (permalink)
Pretzels and ice cream. Someone else hit on the sweet and salty combination; I also like potato chips and cake. Ben and Jerry's Chubby Hubby ice cream is one of my favorites, btw--peanut-butter filled pretzel nuggets in the ice cream. YUM!

tarragon
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: weird but wonderful 2003/10/10 20:17:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Mayhaw Man

quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
Deep fried (breaded first!) canned cling peach halves (w/o syrup) with a dollop of cold beef gravy in the dip where the pit used to be.
Absolute gonesville!
Resplendently, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia, Which Is Only 147 Miles From Gaffney, South Carolina's Peachoid Water Tank Beside I-85.
P. S. French fries (the large, krinkle-kut version) with Duke's mayonnaise.
P. P. S. A livermush-and-fried-egg sandwich with mustard and mayo.

Oh Ort,
I believe the old homilie "that boy ain't right" might have forst been spoken about you

Where, pray tell, does one find the kitchen preparing these deep fired with brown gravy delights. I may have to travel your way (I do have a friend there that I just realized is someone you might know, Moon Mullins) and visit soon. I first was going to type you a note making fun of your peach preperation, but while typing have decided that it might be the Holy Grail of Weird Food

I bow to you, oh Keeper of the Deep Fried Peaches with Gravy

Your Pal who is out of peaches, but has plenty of Louisiana Navel oranges and Satsumas to keep him happy,

Brooks

Mayhaw Man,
Moon and I go clear back to his daze in undergraduate school when he used to join the now Dr. Calvin Johnson, Jr. M. D. and the late, great Dr. Robert B. Hall, M. D. at Alice's Krazy Korner Kafe for such foodstuffs as creamed onions most every Saturday.
If you get to Athens, do indeed look me up. Moon ought to know how to contact me. Or I'll e-mail you my phone number. Hey, I think I put it in that e-mail with my address. We've got a nice brewpub here that you had ought to have a pint or three at. I'll buy the first round.
If you really do come visit, bring some of that wondrous Steamboat Coffee from Beaumont. Or whatever that one is from Lafayette - or was it Lake Charles? I'll buy a few boxes from you with gratitude bordering on bliss. JFG and Folger's and Maxwell House will drink just fine, but why not shoot for something exciting?!?
Livermushlessly, Ort. Carlton in Chilly This Afternoon Athens, Georgia.
P. S. The above was not a pun on chili/chilli/chile, Chile. But this is.
Nepperhanman
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: weird but wonderful 2003/10/10 20:23:46 (permalink)
Kim Chee, Korean pickled cabbage is weird enough on its own (my kids make me sit by the exhaust fan to eat it since it smells so bad) but it is especially good on a peanut butter sandwich!
Lone Star
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: weird but wonderful 2003/10/10 23:03:34 (permalink)
I want to know what a spaghetti pancake is, and how in the world does one make one?

The weirdest combo I have ever seen was back in my high school days when I worked at the Dairy Queen. We used to have a customer who would come to the drive-thru every week and order a chili sundae. A cup of ice cream topped with chili, I kid you not. *shudder*
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: weird but wonderful 2003/10/10 23:18:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Lone Star

We used to have a customer who would come to the drive-thru every week and order a chili sundae. A cup of ice cream topped with chili, I kid you not. *shudder*

Oh, my goodness. That honestly sounds like the worst thing I've ever heard of.

Except, headcheese. ( No, just kidding, MM.)

When I was a kid, we had some regulars that would come into my grandfather's place and order Catsup Milkshakes. He said at first it almost made him gag to think of it, but he made them with a smile.

He took a spoonful after the second or third he made, and he said it actually didn't taste that bad. I never tried it, though. Have NO desire to still.
Big Dog
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: weird but wonderful 2003/10/11 00:02:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by hatteras04

My wife thinks it's weird that whenever I eat chocolate cake I put it in a bowl and pour milk over it. Also good with cake donuts.
Big Dog
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: weird but wonderful 2003/10/11 00:03:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by hatteras04

My wife thinks it's weird that whenever I eat chocolate cake I put it in a bowl and pour milk over it. Also good with cake donuts.

Oh heck no its great. Try any cake or danish from a good bakery even day old is wonderful. Put the cake in forst then the cereal then of course the milk.
Mayhaw Man
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 589
RE: weird but wonderful 2003/10/11 00:11:43 (permalink)
Funny you should mention Headcheese, Bushie.

I will be attending the Tulane Homecoming Game with my parents, the Lovely Mrs. Mayhaw and the little Mayhaw's.

It is being held at Tad Gormley Stadium in City Park instead of the Dome (outside, on grass, .....don't get me started) and it promises to be a lovely day. I am invited to a fabulous outdoor picnic being hosted by some very wealthy, cultured people (as Tulane fans are well known to be,)(sadly so are our football teams which is why we generally suck)." />

In that tent will be all forms of fine food...shrimp, crabmeat, caviar, etc. But, hold the phone, I know for a fact that there will be some fabulous Headcheese. In a prominent spot on the table which is otherwise groaning with expensive foodstuffs, this lowly gelatinized mixture will be holding it's own, with those in the know, against some of the world's most overrated and over priced chow.

Maybe, someday, after some serious culinary training, Bushie you too can come to know the delicious, spicy, slightly squishy joys of this rare delicacy. I look forward to that day as you waste your day eating Guero's and Threadgills.....I feel for you buddy.

Glad to see you back. ]

Brooks
redtressed
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1017
RE: weird but wonderful 2003/10/11 01:50:06 (permalink)
quote:
Lone Star
Cheeseburger

492 Posts
Posted - 10/10/2003 : 23:03:34
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want to know what a spaghetti pancake is, and how in the world does one make one?

The weirdest combo I have ever seen was back in my high school days when I worked at the Dairy Queen. We used to have a customer who would come to the drive-thru every week and order a chili sundae. A cup of ice cream topped with chili, I kid you not. *shudder*

Spaghetti pancakes are an ultimate in using leftover food. You know that leftver pasta you always have and know it'll not be good heated over? Here's where spaghetti pancakes come in. Shove that leftover noodle in the fridge and let get cold...toss in an egg, some italian seasoning, a bit of milk and your choice of grated cheeses, and stir it up well. drop by large spoonfulls into an inch of hot oil in a skillet, and fry on each side until golden brown. Serve with warmed up spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce or even just cheese
Makes a nice crunchy snack
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: weird but wonderful 2003/10/12 17:15:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Mayhaw Man

Maybe, someday, after some serious culinary training, Bushie you too can come to know the delicious, spicy, slightly squishy joys of this rare delicacy. I look forward to that day as you waste your day eating Guero's and Threadgills.....I feel for you buddy.

It's that "squishy" part I don't like.
pmtn
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: weird but wonderful 2003/10/12 21:19:53 (permalink)
filet mignon and catsup.
god bless.
p.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: weird but wonderful 2003/10/12 23:08:13 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
I can't believe that nobody has mentioned barbecue salad yet. That seems to be a local favorite in parts of Eastern Arkansas... just like barbecue spaghetti seems to be in Memphis.
There is a fellow here (not me, although I have tried a variation of this!) who orders a chef salad at the Waffle House on Oconee Street, adds Thousand Island dressing in copious quantity, and then pours chili on top of that. - "What's the matter with the guy?" I thought to myself. "He oughta be using ranch dressing instead!" (My version is really quite tasty. Add in a buncha crumbled-up club crackers for extra zest... and a goood dusting of coarsely-ground black pepper.)
Wishing For Red Lexington-Style Slaw On A Pig Sandwich Just Once To See What It Tastes Like, Ort. Carlton in Eccentric, Eclectic Athens, Georgia, Where That Option Isn't Available.
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2883
RE: weird but wonderful 2003/10/13 03:20:21 (permalink)
A lot of restaurants in L.A. have a BBQ salad that mixes BBQ sauce with Ranch dressing...pretty good, surprisingly.

Why do people look at me funny when I put brown sugar on my grits?
Jennie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 389
RE: weird but wonderful 2003/10/17 18:02:34 (permalink)
I used to eat sweet Gherkin pickles in alternating bites with New York sharp cheddar cheese. Mind you, I was pregnant at the time.

My husband, who is English, has a favorite dish at a very good restaurant near us built in a historic schoolhouse. It's grits (he's from the Deep South of England. Eastbourne.) with shrimp and cheddar cheese. He swears it's good.

Anyway, the restaurant is Brick Ridge (http://www.brickridge.com/). They have items on the menu from various places around the country, and each week they pick a different state and serve dishes from that state. Check out their menus page, under "Specials of the Week". They say:
quote:
"The Brick Ridge Culinary team has designed a menu that provides traditional foods from diverse regions of the United States. We hope to reunite our dining friends with some old time favorites and to introduce several unique menu items.

Each week the Brick Ridge will provide classic and contemporary menu items from a selected state of the nation. We hope you enjoy becoming acquainted with the diverse foods and cultures that have shaped American Cuisine."

It's quite close to us, and we tend to go there for special dinners. However, their Sunday Brunch is also fabulous. Well worth a visit if you're in the area.

Jennie
bigdog
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: weird but wonderful 2003/10/20 22:01:27 (permalink)
Good- Scrambled Eggs mad with a dash of pepper,seasoned salt and tabasco. Serve with A-1 sauce.

Better- Pizza, Jalapeno, procuitto, and pineapple with cilantro olive oil. Sprinkle each piece with Tabasco.

Best- Tunafish (mayo) and Malt o'meal (brown sugar,butter,half & half, salt). Don't mix them, eat them separatly at the same time. Best workout food in existence.
Liketoeat
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 552
RE: weird but wonderful 2003/10/20 23:09:15 (permalink)
Ort, I've seen the barbecue salad you mention on a few menus, not only in eastern Arkansas, but throughout the entire state. However, I've never seen it offered frequently enough or in enough different establishments to have considered it as something unique or a local favorite. Maybe I'm just partronizing the wrong barbecue joints. Actually I've never eaten the barabecue salad, but I do like the barbecued spaghetti you mention as a side dish.
And, RickF, you mentioned saltines crumbled in cold sweet milk as a wierd combination. While it's something I've never had, cornbread crumbled in cold buttermilk (the colder the better) is so common to me and to lots of folks I know, that I don't consider it to be wierd. And guess I thought of your saltines and sweet milk somewhat along the same line (although I do consider it a waste of good cornbread to crumble it into sweet milk). One thing I've discovered is that if you don't have any cornbread to eat with (and crumble into) field peas and turnip greens, then saltines make a lot better substitute for the missing cornbread for that purpose than does any light bread.
SharonTriv
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 44
RE: weird but wonderful 2003/10/30 11:17:32 (permalink)
I second tarragon's mention of pretzels and ice cream. Who needs a spoon when you've got a nice salty pretzel to use instead. Pretzel ice cream cones (perfect!) are available in many ice cream places around this part of the world (SE Pennsylvania), so this is a known phenomenon.

My father loves peanut butter and olive sandwiches--PB must be smooth and the olives green and sliced and plentifully scattered on the PB. I have to admit it's wonderful.
Alirush
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 59
RE: weird but wonderful 2003/10/30 11:46:22 (permalink)
Let's see...

I love a good bowl of black beans and rice mixed with copious amounts of sour cream and soy sauce.

Rice, peas, parmesan cheese, butter, and ketchup all mixed up together.

Pepper on strawberries; it brings out the strawberry flavor better. Finely ground pepper works best.
Liketoeat
Double Cheeseburger
RE: weird but wonderful 2003/10/30 18:08:07 (permalink)
I've never tried the pepper on strawberries, Alirush, but I've always eaten pepper rather than salt on canteloupe and salt rather than sugar on grapefruit. I also like my cornbread salted.
hucknbock
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 26
RE: weird but wonderful 2003/10/31 09:40:17 (permalink)
Blueberries on pizza. The trick is to use wild blueberries (smaller and more flavorful than cultivated varieties), chill htem, and sprinkle on the pizza after it comes out of the oven. Obviously, our first experience with one was the result of a little kitchen accident.

Yesterday I caught my daughter eating circus peanuts (those orange gobs of pressed marshmallow) by dipping them in peanut butter. Didn't taste half bad.
Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: weird but wonderful 2003/10/31 09:49:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Liketoeat

I've never tried the pepper on strawberries, Alirush, but I've always eaten pepper rather than salt on canteloupe and salt rather than sugar on grapefruit. I also like my cornbread salted.

I guess I'm sheltered, because I've never even heard of salt on canteloupe, let alone pepper.
spadoman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 228
RE: weird but wonderful 2003/10/31 11:00:22 (permalink)
I haven't made this in a long time, and haven't thought about it either, but there is a salad that uses the usual greens n' stuff, but this one has canteloupe, honeydew melon pieces and scallion onions which are kept in long shoots along with pineapple, artichoke hearts, tomato and green pepper all covered with Caesar dressing. It sounded weird to me, but it was a great summertime salad.
Liketoeat
Double Cheeseburger
RE: weird but wonderful 2003/10/31 11:16:20 (permalink)
PhilJ, I'm not talking about using salt or pepper on canteloupe when it's used in a fruit salad or watermelon basket, as part of a dessert, etc., but nearly everyone I know, when just eating canteloupe halves, slices, or cubes for breakfast, salts it (with a few of us peppering rather than salting it when it's eaten that way). Guess this is just another example of the many ways eating habits/practices differ from section to section of this country. And, spadoman, your summer salad sounds absolutely delicious.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4077
RE: weird but wonderful 2003/10/31 13:41:04 (permalink)
My daughter informed me the other day that apple juice mixed into clam chowder does not make a good combination. Who woulda thought!" />
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1