The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 weird but wonderful

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 54
Author Message
retired & glad

  • Total Posts: 32
  • Joined: 8/20/2003
  • Location: Mansfield, OH
weird but wonderful Wed, 10/8/03 6:41 AM (permalink)
I recently read an article from "The Honolulu Advertiser" titled "More weird nibbles and Noshes" which listed some oddball things people like to eat, such as Special K cerial with tomato juice instead of milk, pork and beans scrambled together, etc. My weird love is hamburgers topped with with mustard, onions and grape jelly. A friend likes chocolate cake with chicken gravy poured over it. I might be missing out on a lot of different combinations for food out there. What's your favorite oddball item?

David Skaggs
 
#1
    scbuzz

    • Total Posts: 844
    • Joined: 3/7/2003
    • Location: Sumter, SC
    RE: weird but wonderful Wed, 10/8/03 8:29 AM (permalink)
    I like mustard on my french-fries (oh my !! am I allowed to say that now, or is it still freedom-fries ?) instead of ketchup. I like mayo on my peanut butter sandwich.
     
    #2
      hatteras04

      • Total Posts: 1070
      • Joined: 5/14/2003
      • Location: Columbus, OH
      RE: weird but wonderful Wed, 10/8/03 9:01 AM (permalink)
      My wife thinks it's weird that whenever I eat chocolate cake I put it in a bowl and pour milk over it. Also good with cake donuts.
       
      #3
        Dipstick

        • Total Posts: 337
        • Joined: 8/21/2003
        • Location: Crystal, MN
        RE: weird but wonderful Wed, 10/8/03 10:30 AM (permalink)
        On Saturday mornings, when I actually have time for breakfast, I love dipping my bacon in peanut butter as I eat it!
         
        #4
          retired & glad

          • Total Posts: 32
          • Joined: 8/20/2003
          • Location: Mansfield, OH
          RE: weird but wonderful Wed, 10/8/03 9:39 PM (permalink)
          I was talking to my daughter this evening and she said to be sure to mention her favorite: brownies topped with ranch dressing. UUM,good! [she said]
           
          #5
            Ort. Carlton.

            • Total Posts: 3589
            • Joined: 4/9/2003
            • Location: Athens, GA
            RE: weird but wonderful Wed, 10/8/03 10:34 PM (permalink)
            Dearfolk,
            Deep fried (breaded first!) canned cling peach halves (w/o syrup) with a dollop of cold beef gravy in the dip where the pit used to be.
            Absolute gonesville!
            Resplendently, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia, Which Is Only 147 Miles From Gaffney, South Carolina's Peachoid Water Tank Beside I-85.
            P. S. French fries (the large, krinkle-kut version) with Duke's mayonnaise.
            P. P. S. A livermush-and-fried-egg sandwich with mustard and mayo.
             
            #6
              NancyPeter

              • Total Posts: 233
              • Joined: 6/10/2003
              • Location: Voorhees, NJ
              RE: weird but wonderful Wed, 10/8/03 10:52 PM (permalink)
              Peanut butter & butter with a few potato chips slid in for good measure! Haven't had it in a long time, but I miss it
               
              #7
                Mayhaw Man

                • Total Posts: 589
                • Joined: 7/5/2003
                • Location: Abita Springs, LA
                RE: weird but wonderful Wed, 10/8/03 11:21 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

                Dearfolk,
                Deep fried (breaded first!) canned cling peach halves (w/o syrup) with a dollop of cold beef gravy in the dip where the pit used to be.
                Absolute gonesville!
                Resplendently, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia, Which Is Only 147 Miles From Gaffney, South Carolina's Peachoid Water Tank Beside I-85.
                P. S. French fries (the large, krinkle-kut version) with Duke's mayonnaise.
                P. P. S. A livermush-and-fried-egg sandwich with mustard and mayo.


                Oh Ort,
                I believe the old homilie "that boy ain't right" might have forst been spoken about you

                Where, pray tell, does one find the kitchen preparing these deep fired with brown gravy delights. I may have to travel your way (I do have a friend there that I just realized is someone you might know, Moon Mullins) and visit soon. I first was going to type you a note making fun of your peach preperation, but while typing have decided that it might be the Holy Grail of Weird Food

                I bow to you, oh Keeper of the Deep Fried Peaches with Gravy

                Your Pal who is out of peaches, but has plenty of Louisiana Navel oranges and Satsumas to keep him happy,

                Brooks
                 
                #8
                  Rick F.

                  • Total Posts: 1736
                  • Joined: 8/16/2002
                  • Location: Natchitoches, LA
                  RE: weird but wonderful Wed, 10/8/03 11:38 PM (permalink)
                  Peanut butter and butter (REAL butter) on light bread
                  Saltines crumbled into cold sweet milk
                  Soupy white beans ladled onto buttered corn bread
                  Garlic powder and Hellman's mayo on SF sourdough bread

                  I'm sure more will come to mind.
                   
                  #9
                    b-n-kchefservice

                    • Total Posts: 69
                    • Joined: 10/9/2003
                    • Location: P.H., MI
                    RE: weird but wonderful Thu, 10/9/03 1:32 AM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Mayhaw Man

                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

                    Dearfolk,
                    Deep fried (breaded first!) canned cling peach halves (w/o syrup) with a dollop of cold beef gravy in the dip where the pit used to be.
                    Absolute gonesville!
                    Resplendently, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia, Which Is Only 147 Miles From Gaffney, South Carolina's Peachoid Water Tank Beside I-85.
                    P. S. French fries (the large, krinkle-kut version) with Duke's mayonnaise.
                    P. P. S. A livermush-and-fried-egg sandwich with mustard and mayo.


                    Oh Ort,
                    I believe the old homilie "that boy ain't right" might have forst been spoken about you

                    Where, pray tell, does one find the kitchen preparing these deep fired with brown gravy delights. I may have to travel your way (I do have a friend there that I just realized is someone you might know, Moon Mullins) and visit soon. I first was going to type you a note making fun of your peach preperation, but while typing have decided that it might be the Holy Grail of Weird Food

                    I bow to you, oh Keeper of the Deep Fried Peaches with Gravy

                    Your Pal who is out of peaches, but has plenty of Louisiana Navel oranges and Satsumas to keep him happy,

                    Brooks
                     
                    #10
                      b-n-kchefservice

                      • Total Posts: 69
                      • Joined: 10/9/2003
                      • Location: P.H., MI
                      RE: weird but wonderful Thu, 10/9/03 1:38 AM (permalink)
                      I eat some pretty weird things as well but never anything like breaded peaches w/ beef gravy. though I really used to enjoy a bolonga sandwich with potato chips and catelina dressing then pressed as flat as possible, but it has been quit some time since I had it. but I did want to mention the fact that I used to have a football coach when I was in High School in southern MI named Moon mullins.
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by b-n-kchefservice

                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Mayhaw Man

                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

                      Dearfolk,
                      Deep fried (breaded first!) canned cling peach halves (w/o syrup) with a dollop of cold beef gravy in the dip where the pit used to be.
                      Absolute gonesville!
                      Resplendently, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia, Which Is Only 147 Miles From Gaffney, South Carolina's Peachoid Water Tank Beside I-85.
                      P. S. French fries (the large, krinkle-kut version) with Duke's mayonnaise.
                      P. P. S. A livermush-and-fried-egg sandwich with mustard and mayo.


                      Oh Ort,
                      I believe the old homilie "that boy ain't right" might have forst been spoken about you

                      Where, pray tell, does one find the kitchen preparing these deep fired with brown gravy delights. I may have to travel your way (I do have a friend there that I just realized is someone you might know, Moon Mullins) and visit soon. I first was going to type you a note making fun of your peach preperation, but while typing have decided that it might be the Holy Grail of Weird Food

                      I bow to you, oh Keeper of the Deep Fried Peaches with Gravy

                      Your Pal who is out of peaches, but has plenty of Louisiana Navel oranges and Satsumas to keep him happy,

                      Brooks

                       
                      #11
                        redtressed

                        • Total Posts: 1017
                        • Joined: 5/10/2001
                        • Location: Morgantown, WV
                        RE: weird but wonderful Thu, 10/9/03 1:40 AM (permalink)
                        Battered Fried Asparagus dipped in a pecaned bacon grease and brown sugar mix

                        milquetoast with a kosher salt crust

                        spaghetti pancakes

                        bacon bites.....slab of bacon separated, laid upon a foil covered pan, drizzled over with brown sugar, dried mustard and chopped peanuts or pecans.......baked for a couple of hours at 250 until so oooooooooey gooey.......removed to cool on brown paper bags, then eaten like a taffied or hard tack bacon.....mmmmmm


                         
                        #12
                          redtressed

                          • Total Posts: 1017
                          • Joined: 5/10/2001
                          • Location: Morgantown, WV
                          RE: weird but wonderful Thu, 10/9/03 1:44 AM (permalink)
                          retired and glad, actually your hamburger topping is not that odd, it's the basics for the Olde English Cumberland sauce. With the addition of some ketchup, chili sauce and worcestershire..you have the perfect base to do meatballs in.
                           
                          #13
                            canoodle

                            • Total Posts: 21
                            • Joined: 7/21/2002
                            • Location: Minot, ND
                            RE: weird but wonderful Thu, 10/9/03 1:52 PM (permalink)
                            Red- those bacon bites sound yummy! I've been known to perform lewd acts with pork. Bacon and PB, summer sausage and PB etc. Glad to know I'm not alone.
                             
                            #14
                              peppertree

                              • Total Posts: 301
                              • Joined: 6/15/2003
                              • Location: Austin(Brooklyn guy), TX
                              RE: weird but wonderful Thu, 10/9/03 4:10 PM (permalink)
                              When I go to the buffets, I usually place on top of the chocolate cake, chocolate syrup and whipped cream.

                              Try it, you'll like it.
                               
                              #15
                                lleechef

                                • Total Posts: 6211
                                • Joined: 3/22/2003
                                • Location: Gahanna, OH
                                RE: weird but wonderful Thu, 10/9/03 4:33 PM (permalink)
                                I don't have a problem with the deep-fried peach halves, but the COLD beef gravy........OH MY.
                                 
                                #16
                                  Rusty246

                                  • Total Posts: 2413
                                  • Joined: 7/15/2003
                                  • Location: Newberry, FL
                                  RE: weird but wonderful Thu, 10/9/03 4:40 PM (permalink)
                                  I'm at a loss......I've racked my brain and can find nothing to compare. Nothing even that was made up!
                                   
                                  #17
                                    jvsmom

                                    • Total Posts: 462
                                    • Joined: 5/11/2001
                                    • Location: Braintree, MA
                                    RE: weird but wonderful Thu, 10/9/03 5:28 PM (permalink)
                                    A couple of scoops of ice cream in my breakfast cereal.
                                     
                                    #18
                                      redtressed

                                      • Total Posts: 1017
                                      • Joined: 5/10/2001
                                      • Location: Morgantown, WV
                                      RE: weird but wonderful Thu, 10/9/03 6:09 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      canoodle Posted - 10/09/2003 : 13:52:52
                                      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                      Red- those bacon bites sound yummy! I've been known to perform lewd acts with pork. Bacon and PB, summer sausage and PB etc. Glad to know I'm not alone.



                                      Lewd is good, lewd is good. Try a chunky peanut butter, coconut milk, apricot marmalade, maple syrup, soy sauce, vinegar and uhm chicken broth sauce for your pork or chicken...weird version of satay
                                       
                                      #19
                                        lleechef

                                        • Total Posts: 6211
                                        • Joined: 3/22/2003
                                        • Location: Gahanna, OH
                                        RE: weird but wonderful Thu, 10/9/03 6:13 PM (permalink)
                                        redtressed........do we HAVE to?? Puhleese say NO. Oh and yes, lewd is good!
                                         
                                        #20
                                          BigGlenn

                                          RE: weird but wonderful Thu, 10/9/03 6:34 PM (permalink)
                                          Growing up it was french toast with chocolate syrup for breakfast. Everyone thought we were crazy. Now as an adult I can see why.
                                           
                                          #21
                                            LizzieR

                                            • Total Posts: 92
                                            • Joined: 8/11/2003
                                            • Location: Middle Village, NY
                                            RE: weird but wonderful Thu, 10/9/03 8:24 PM (permalink)
                                            I guess catsup on scrambled eggs seems pretty tame. I also like butter on my cold roast beef sandwich.
                                             
                                            #22
                                              Argent

                                              • Total Posts: 125
                                              • Joined: 6/1/2003
                                              • Location: new market, MD
                                              RE: weird but wonderful Thu, 10/9/03 10:30 PM (permalink)
                                              A friend of mine use to have Cheerios in Guiness Stout for breakfast .
                                              He called the beerios , And said that they sank in Guiness.
                                              Beer its not just for breakfast.
                                               
                                              #23
                                                Howard Baratz

                                                • Total Posts: 445
                                                • Joined: 7/3/2000
                                                • Location: ,
                                                RE: weird but wonderful Fri, 10/10/03 10:39 AM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by Argent

                                                A friend of mine use to have Cheerios in Guiness Stout for breakfast .
                                                He called the beerios , And said that they sank in Guiness.
                                                Beer its not just for breakfast.


                                                The breakfast of ex-champions?
                                                 
                                                #24
                                                  Oneiron339

                                                  • Total Posts: 2075
                                                  • Joined: 2/13/2002
                                                  • Location: Marietta, GA
                                                  RE: weird but wonderful Fri, 10/10/03 10:53 AM (permalink)
                                                  A big bowl of cold mashed potatoes and chicken gravy.

                                                  Chocolate syrup in a fountain coke.

                                                   
                                                  #25
                                                    Cosmos

                                                    • Total Posts: 1448
                                                    • Joined: 5/14/2002
                                                    • Location: Syracuse, NY
                                                    RE: weird but wonderful Fri, 10/10/03 1:22 PM (permalink)
                                                    My daughter's favorites:
                                                    French fries dipped in vanilla milkshake, and salami slices dipped in Dinosaur BBQ sauce.
                                                     
                                                    #26
                                                      Spudnut

                                                      • Total Posts: 655
                                                      • Joined: 6/30/2003
                                                      • Location: New York, NY
                                                      RE: weird but wonderful Fri, 10/10/03 2:16 PM (permalink)
                                                      The following likely falls under the category of "weird to me": perhaps it's more common than I realize, but I hadn't seen it before.

                                                      A few days ago, my wife and I ate at a Mexican restaurant in Manhattan called El Parador, which was my first NYC "date restaurant" when I moved here. It's been around since 1959, and was as wonderful as it was when I last ate there about five years ago.

                                                      Anyway, one of my appetizers was hot jalepenos stuffed with crunchy peanut butter. Delicious and, to me, unusual. Again, maybe it's not uncommon, especially to the Texans and Californians among you.
                                                       
                                                      #27
                                                        tiki

                                                        • Total Posts: 4135
                                                        • Joined: 7/7/2003
                                                        • Location: Rentiesville, OK
                                                        RE: weird but wonderful Fri, 10/10/03 3:36 PM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by BigGlenn

                                                        Growing up it was french toast with chocolate syrup for breakfast. Everyone thought we were crazy. Now as an adult I can see why.


                                                        You know---use a really nice bread--say challah---and top it off with ice cream to go with that chocolate sauce--and maybe some whipped cream and youve got what my wife would called " a true viennese breakfast!" She tells me in Vienna you don't have to grow up to appreciate the food!
                                                         
                                                        #28
                                                          Ted Steak

                                                          • Total Posts: 60
                                                          • Joined: 12/17/2000
                                                          • Location: Neptune City, NJ
                                                          RE: weird but wonderful Fri, 10/10/03 4:04 PM (permalink)
                                                          I like to dip potato chips in Fox's "U-Bet" chocolate syrup. Something about the sweet and salty mingling together!
                                                           
                                                          #29
                                                            kdiammond

                                                            • Total Posts: 133
                                                            • Joined: 2/28/2003
                                                            • Location: McLean, VA
                                                            RE: weird but wonderful Fri, 10/10/03 7:46 PM (permalink)
                                                            Like a squuuuooochy sandwich (reminds me of my younger and very poor days) of 1 can chunk light tuna (oil packed and drained), mixed with one can corn (drained very hard), and several dollops of Miracle Whip with packets of pepper saved from a 7-11 for seasoning. Mix to a paste and put on white bread. It was cheap, filling, and a pretty good lunch.

                                                            Also, liked a bagel (garlic preferable) with butter and oyster sauce. Cabbage leaves with Miracle Whip or mayo and hot cherry peppers, rolled up. Made sandwiches of bean sprouts, and whatever dressing was cheapest and mashed potatos.

                                                             
                                                            #30
                                                              Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 54

                                                              Jump to:

                                                              Current active users

                                                              There are 0 members and 1 guests.

                                                              Icon Legend and Permission

                                                              • New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

                                                              2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com