went on a steak rampage in NYC (pics, too!)

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
2006/11/09 01:37:12 (permalink)

went on a steak rampage in NYC (pics, too!)

Hi from Ellen,
this past Monday, Nov. 6th, I took the bus into NYC for lunch.
Tried "Wolfgangs Steakhouse" (33rd Ave. and Park Ave)...
It was EXCELLENT!!! Sizzling steaks, on plates so hot that the waiter needs to dole it out to you on a separate plate. (aka "peter luger style",& pre-sliced) (the restaurant was started a few years back by a former Lugers headwaiter for 40 years, named, appropriately, Wolfgang.
Enough about that, you want to see the steak , right?!?

Well here it is!
Wolfgangs "steak for 2"

$78, (it's a porterhouse cut, 28 ounces of meat , plus the bone. add another $10 for the german potatoes.
well worth it!

this steak practically melted in my mouth!
look at the way it "glistens".

a perfect medium rare!

and I had another rampage last Monday, Oct 30th.
(a doubleheader!)
I tried Mark Joseph Steakhouse for lunch and Dylan Prime
for dinner.
Mark Joseph Steakhouse , ribeye, $38

It is located on Water St, in lower Manhattan by the South St. Seaport.
After experiencing Wolfgangs , I would recommend you just stick to Wolfgangs! (as I love their sizzling steaks, and I felt it was more tender and tastier) However, the french fries at Mark Joseph were some of the best I ever had in my life! (no sizzle at Ben and Jacks either, another Peter Luger offshoot I went to back in my Oct NYC report in MISC. )
My feelings were confirmed when I saw how busy Wolfgangs was for lunch , comparatively. Yet, my waiter Jose, was wonderful.

and then it was off to Dylan Prime for dinner. I was'nt even hungry, but I wanted to experience both restaurants.
Boy, this place was hard to find!! It was in the Tribeca section of NYC (Tribeca stands for "triangle below Canal St.") and the signage for the restaurant was basically non-existent, and very dark, except for a few Zagat restaurant reviews on their glass wall...
The first time, I just walked right past it!

I was their first customer in there at 5:30 pm, and nobody else showed up till I was paying my bill. It was the classic case of too many waiters, etc standing around, but yet no one rushing over to refill my water. (finally had to ask)

I had the porterhouse steak, which was around $40 if I remember correctly. Plus the potatoes, of course. (interesting mini baked potatoes in a creamy cheese sauce)

It was a tasty steak, tender in MOST, but not all parts. Not really remarkable enough to go out of your way for , though, IMO.
But if it is a dark, romantic, atmosphere you want, this place definitely has sexy vibes.

Dylan Prime , porterhouse steak

45 Replies Related Threads

Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: went on a steak rampage in NYC (pics, too!) 2006/11/09 07:48:48 (permalink)
    Ellen great report and nice photos. But at a c note for lunch I think I would rather clothe you than feed you. Chow Jim
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: went on a steak rampage in NYC (pics, too!) 2006/11/09 08:02:03 (permalink)
    Darn, I wish I had not looked at this so early this morning. Now I am going to have to go have steak and eggs for breakfast now! LOL

It looks wonderful Ellen. I especially want to thank you for taking the pictures. The pictures are what really helps with your post.

John
    doggydaddy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: went on a steak rampage in NYC (pics, too!) 2006/11/09 09:09:36 (permalink)
    quote]Originally posted by Jimeats

Ellen great report and nice photos. But at a c note for lunch I think I would rather clothe you than feed you. Chow Jim

No doubt about it, that Porterhouse looks great. I wonder how many steaks you could get at Tad's for the same price?

I find it hard to go to a restaurant for a steak as I feel that with a little searching locally there is a good butcher with an excellent steak for purchase. I confess that I will order Prime Rib occaisionally. There is no roast better than Prime Rib.

I really love all the photos and effort that ellen is providing. NYC is a true culinary mecca. Ellen seems to be on a meat quest in her posts. How can she be persuaded to go on a pizza tour? The rest of the nation needs to know what they are missing.

Her pictures are from the Tribeca area and that says two things to me. One, is that she is a cool person who likes that part of town, and secondly there are many different restaurants to go to while there. As much as these photos make me desire a steak, they really make me want to go into the city. After Thanksgiving and before Christmas is a fun time to be there.

mark
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: went on a steak rampage in NYC (pics, too!) 2006/11/09 09:20:54 (permalink)

DOGGY DADDY said :

No doubt about it, that Porterhouse looks great. I wonder how many steaks you could get at Tad's for the same price?

I find it hard to go to a restaurant for a steak as I feel that with a little searching locally there is a good butcher with an excellent steak for purchase. I confess that I will order Prime Rib occaisionally. There is no roast better than Prime Rib.

I really love all the photos and effort that ellen is providing. NYC is a true culinary mecca. Ellen seems to be on a meat quest in her posts. How can she be persuaded to go on a pizza tour? The rest of the nation needs to know what they are missing.

Her pictures are from the Tribeca area and that says two things to me. One, is that she is a cool person who likes that part of town, and secondly there are many different restaurants to go to while there. As much as these photos make me desire a steak, they really make me want to go into the city. After Thanksgiving and before Christmas is a fun time to be there.

mark

RESPONSE FROM ELLEN

thanks , Mark so much... I agree with you there's nothing better than a home cooked prime rib roast. (I rarely cook , but I'd love to learn how to make one; or get invited to a home meal, and I'll bring the wine!)

btw, just the Dylan Prime steakhouse was in Tribeca. (in my Oct. NYC post I was in Greenwich Village, on St. Marks Place eating hot dogs, etc). I love taking the subways, and walking up the stairs to explore different parts of town. Sometimes I don't even know what I'm going to see when I walk up those stairs! (love adventure)
    but thanks for the "cool" compliments; I'm a very carefree, impulsive, (yet responsible) kind of gal!
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: went on a steak rampage in NYC (pics, too!) 2006/11/09 09:32:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jimeats

I agree that I went a little wild for $95, ($115 including tip)
    I wanted to get the "full effect" of the porterhouse cut, what with the filet part of it. But you know something, that steak was so tender that the sirloin part melted in my mouth just as easily as the filet!

(I usually DO get the $39 priced steaks at these places, I just went a little crazy this time) But it was worth it...
    I was even hoping a bum on the street would ask me for "money for food" later, as I was carrying the doggy bag. Where's a hungry bum when you need one?!? I finally left the bag on top of a newspaper rack, hoping someone will pry it open. (and eat real well; ...steak and crispy german potatoes)

and yes, I am rather cheap to clothe! (as I am a Macy's , JC Penneys type of gal , as opposed to a Nordstrom type of gal)
    and I even find some cute shirts and bathing suits at Wal Mart and Target, (I'll admit it!)
    ctchank
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: went on a steak rampage in NYC (pics, too!) 2006/11/09 09:42:05 (permalink)
    That looks too good for words!!

What exactly are the German potatoes? They look good too!
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: went on a steak rampage in NYC (pics, too!) 2006/11/09 09:43:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by RibDog

Darn, I wish I had not looked at this so early this morning. Now I am going to have to go have steak and eggs for breakfast now! LOL

It looks wonderful Ellen. I especially want to thank you for taking the pictures. The pictures are what really helps with your post.

John

thanks John!
    steak and eggs, ah.....
    I'll probably end up having a few steak & egg breakfasts next week, as I'll be in Vegas! That's a great "steak & eggs" kind of town...
    you know , the "graveyard" specials, etc...
    RibRater
    • Total Posts : 1862
    RE: went on a steak rampage in NYC (pics, too!) 2006/11/09 11:40:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Where's a hungry bum when you need one?!?

Indeed.

That steak looks great.
    Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: went on a steak rampage in NYC (pics, too!) 2006/11/09 13:04:19 (permalink)
    Girls just wanna eat beef.....God, those steaks look good.
    Salustra
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 510
    RE: went on a steak rampage in NYC (pics, too!) 2006/11/09 13:44:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    and yes, I am rather cheap to clothe! (as I am a Macy's , JC Penneys type of gal , as opposed to a Nordstrom type of gal)
    and I even find some cute shirts and bathing suits at Wal Mart and Target, (I'll admit it!)

Nothing wrong with that. Frees up the cash for your steak adventures!!
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: went on a steak rampage in NYC (pics, too!) 2006/11/09 14:09:50 (permalink)
    Ellen, Nice Report! My mouth is watering so bad looking at them pics that my tear ducts are drying up..
    Rapunzll
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: went on a steak rampage in NYC (pics, too!) 2006/11/09 15:22:36 (permalink)
    I was on board until I saw the price $88.00 for steak and potatoes?! Looks good, but no way I'd spend that kind of money.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: went on a steak rampage in NYC (pics, too!) 2006/11/09 17:38:27 (permalink)
    Ellen, thank you so much for your great posts! These pictures leave me speachless, and thats hard to do. I'm just wishing I could find that bag you left on the news stand.

Oh, Rap, "the more you pay, the more it's worth" Hmmm, who said that? It's in a song. Scorereader???
    Joe
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13475
    RE: went on a steak rampage in NYC (pics, too!) 2006/11/09 19:12:51 (permalink)
    I liked the looks of the first place vs. the second place. I appeared to have nice marbeling and looked very juicy.

It is hard to find a good tasting juicy steak. I guess there are loads of them in NYC but not so many in Knoxville, TN

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: went on a steak rampage in NYC (pics, too!) 2006/11/09 19:39:18 (permalink)
    I think people pay to much for ambiance, these days...
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15181
    RE: went on a steak rampage in NYC (pics, too!) 2006/11/09 20:19:47 (permalink)

Ellen, Nice job on the photo-report. I hope your dinner budget continues to support your photo-hobby! Keep it UP!
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: went on a steak rampage in NYC (pics, too!) 2006/11/09 21:32:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rapunzll

I was on board until I saw the price $88.00 for steak and potatoes?! Looks good, but no way I'd spend that kind of money.

one can easily cut the price in half by getting the "prime sirloin steak", for $39. That menu item is designed for 1 person, and it still comes sizzling. It is strictly sirloin, no filet part, as in the porterhouse. But , like I said, it goes down so easy that it all tastes like filet, anyway!

(still got to add $10 for those potatoes)
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: went on a steak rampage in NYC (pics, too!) 2006/11/09 21:35:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ctchank

That looks too good for words!!

What exactly are the German potatoes? They look good too!

that was MY first experience with "german potatoes" , as well.
    They were described to me by my waiter as being just like hash browns.
    And their style is for the onions to come out extra crispy/burnt.

I dipped it in bernaise sauce....for that hot/cold effect.
    CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1393
    RE: went on a steak rampage in NYC (pics, too!) 2006/11/09 21:35:54 (permalink)
    Another great job! And fun to read too!
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: went on a steak rampage in NYC (pics, too!) 2006/11/09 21:42:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pwingsx

Girls just wanna eat beef.....God, those steaks look good.

yes, "girls just wanna eat beef", la , la, la, la, cute new lyrics to an already good song..

my dates learn that the way to my heart is through steaks and prime rib! (don't need the flowers!)
    My ex-boyfriend joked around and said that he wished he could deliver the whole cow for my b-day present, back in May (instead he gave me a steakhouse gift certificate, perfect gift, huh?!?)
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: went on a steak rampage in NYC (pics, too!) 2006/11/09 22:03:53 (permalink)

Super report, Ellen. So, what remains then, I imagine, is to find out where one should spend that extra $100 or so that's just lying around: at Peter Luger's or Wolfgang's?
    The Bear
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: went on a steak rampage in NYC (pics, too!) 2006/11/09 23:06:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ScreenBear

Super report, Ellen. So, what remains then, I imagine, is to find out where one should spend that extra $100 or so that's just lying around: at Peter Luger's or Wolfgang's?
    The Bear

my decision was made FOR me........as I tried getting into Peter Lugers for dinner in October.

Was told I would need a reservation 3 months in advance!
    All I could do was "get in the door", barely ( cause I had to push my way through the crowd) ,but could not actually get a MEAL!

My current research after that experience has brought me to the conclusion that Wolfgangs must be the next best thing !!

And I want to remind everyone that the $39 sirloin would be the way to go for one person. I was told that is 14 ounces of meat, plus bone.
    (I just unneccasarily went a little overboard with the "porterhouse for 2")
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: went on a steak rampage in NYC (pics, too!) 2006/11/09 23:31:10 (permalink)
    Three months? By then I might just want pizza or a hot dog.
    The Bear
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5045
    RE: went on a steak rampage in NYC (pics, too!) 2006/11/10 01:49:36 (permalink)
    Ellen, thank you. I just love your posts.
    Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: went on a steak rampage in NYC (pics, too!) 2006/11/10 06:30:04 (permalink)
    Just about all of these prime steak places in NYC (particularly Luger's and it's knockoffs) put WAYYY too much butter on their completed steaks...hence the glisten. The "Luger style" places even tilt the platter up on a little saucer to let the butter pool in one corner of the plate. I think that is't totally superfluous, and takes away from the steak flavor. I always order mine "dry", and I find that they taste much better.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    RE: went on a steak rampage in NYC (pics, too!) 2006/11/10 09:21:16 (permalink)
    There is nothing more beautiful than pictures of glistening,mouthwatering steaks!!!Thanks,again Ellen for sharing!!
    sizz
    • Total Posts : 1685
    RE: went on a steak rampage in NYC (pics, too!) 2006/11/10 11:42:12 (permalink)

quote:
    ellen4641 Posted - 11/09/2006 : 01:37:12 Mark Joseph Steakhouse , ribeye, $38
    Nice job with photo and words Miss Ellen................ I too love steak and NYC is the place to get some of the best. I'll probably get killed for saying this but in my opinion and experience I think NYC for steak is even better then Texas................ I have a steak question for you Ellen, I noticed in one of your photos this ..... steak sauce along side your ribeye. Would you tell us a little about it? do you use it on your steaks? .................... Frank
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: went on a steak rampage in NYC (pics, too!) 2006/11/10 22:58:34 (permalink)
    thanks for the kind words--- Frank, twinwillow, annpeeples, and all you other wonderful fellow roadfooders!

Frank, in answer to your question, that steak sauce is just what they had on the table at that MarkJoseph steakhouse I went to , in lower manhattan. (right by the touristy South St. Seaport mall)

It was ok; a lot more exciting than A1 , anyway...
    I just dipped a little bit of my steak in it.
    I find a true steak should'nt need any steak sauce, right?!?

(although I often like to order a little bernaise sauce, just to have that dipping option available)...

similar steak sauces were offered at Wolfgangs, etc, (they had a little bit of horseradish in them, I noticed)
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: went on a steak rampage in NYC (pics, too!) 2006/11/10 23:04:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ScreenBear

Three months? By then I might just want pizza or a hot dog.
    The Bear

I hear you, screenbear...!!
    and what really pisses me off is thinking "oh well, I guess I just don't have the right "connections" to get into this place!!
    (and I'm not quite a celebrity yet!)

And in Woody Allen type format, I would say "why would I want to be somewhere where they did'nt really want me?!?"

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1