what do you eat when you are......not sober??

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
Mayhaw Man
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 589
  • Joined: 2003/07/05 09:59:00
  • Location: Abita Springs, LA
  • Status: offline
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/09/29 17:12:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

Well, as for me, "Lips that touch wine will never touch Mine."

Or, wait a minute, maybe that was "lips that touch headcheese will never touch mine".

Shoot, I don't know. I get all that stuff mixed up...


I guess we won't be doing any heavy petting in the backseat then, will we Bushie
#31
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
  • Joined: 2001/04/21 19:15:00
  • Location: Round Rock, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/09/29 17:14:40 (permalink)
I guess not, Mayhaw!
#32
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2876
  • Joined: 2001/07/11 13:25:00
  • Location: L.A, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/09/29 23:44:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Mayhaw Man

quote:
Originally posted by EliseT

Umm, a "friend" once woke up sitting up with a peanut butter sandwich in her lap...one bite missing.


If she hadn't awakened so soon, I would have finished it


Oh God, it never occured to me that I wasn't the one eating it! Aghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!
#33
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
  • Joined: 2003/07/07 18:31:00
  • Location: Rentiesville, OK
  • Status: offline
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/09/30 06:52:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by clothier

Now, I'm an old fart.

Hey,nothing wrong with that!--as it say on my favorite coffee mug--"its better to be an old fart then a young ****head!"
#34
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15175
  • Joined: 2002/08/20 22:32:00
  • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
  • Status: offline
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/09/30 10:58:09 (permalink)
I will Add the Jack in the Box Taco to the White Castle choices. Even without booze !

We used to (4 years ago) get a bag of 9 at 3 for a $1..$3 and another buck for a large Dr Pepper/ Mr Pibb and my 30 minute duty-free lunch period was braced enough to let me educate your kids for another couple of hours!
#35
Oneiron339
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2075
  • Joined: 2002/02/13 13:38:00
  • Location: Marietta, GA
  • Status: offline
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/09/30 11:20:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

I will Add the Jack in the Box Taco to the White Castle choices. Even without booze !

We used to (4 years ago) get a bag of 9 at 3 for a $1..$3 and another buck for a large Dr Pepper/ Mr Pibb and my 30 minute duty-free lunch period was braced enough to let me educate your kids for another couple of hours!

You probably would have fared better with the booze depending on the age group you were exposed to. Bring back the paddles!
#36
Lone Star
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1730
  • Joined: 2003/05/22 10:02:00
  • Location: Houston, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/09/30 11:30:43 (permalink)
Amen to that oneiron!
#37
Hode
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 153
  • Joined: 2002/04/01 16:58:00
  • Location: Rochester, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/09/30 11:45:54 (permalink)
Nick Tahous for a garbage plate
#38
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6614
  • Joined: 2003/03/22 23:42:00
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
  • Status: online
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/09/30 12:27:26 (permalink)
I had a friend that woke up to an empty box of Livah Snaps and an empty container of Alouette cheese. For me it's usually a nice greasy burger and curley fries.
#39
Mayhaw Man
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 589
  • Joined: 2003/07/05 09:59:00
  • Location: Abita Springs, LA
  • Status: offline
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/09/30 12:29:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

I had a friend that woke up to an empty box of Livah Snaps and an empty container of Alouette cheese. For me it's usually a nice greasy burger and curley fries.


Do you and Elise have the same "friends"?
#40
CheeseWit
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1393
  • Joined: 2003/04/10 18:23:00
  • Location: West Chester, PA
  • Status: offline
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/09/30 12:31:47 (permalink)
When I was younger, I would end up at Pat's King of Steaks in South Philadelphia. After the bars closed (2am), the line at Pat's would be filled with people of the same condition.
Nowadays, I'll eat whatever's closeby. If I'm home, it will include almonds.
#41
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6614
  • Joined: 2003/03/22 23:42:00
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
  • Status: online
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/09/30 13:38:04 (permalink)
Mayhaw, I think maybe we do, but the peanut butter sandwich sounds a hell of a lot better than doggie biscuits!!
#42
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3879
  • Joined: 2003/05/09 18:39:00
  • Location: Mission Viejo, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/09/30 16:33:20 (permalink)
On occasion, my other "food of choice" is Original Tommy's-----gotta be near one, but a 3am chiliburger or chili tamale works. Just watch out in the morning when you sober up!" />
#43
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 949
  • Joined: 2003/06/25 10:11:00
  • Location: Las Cruces, NM
  • Status: offline
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/09/30 16:58:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Lone Star

Jack-in-the-box tacos. Accept no substitute. Except maybe a chili size at the Waffle House.

I have to confess to never eating a Jack In The Box taco, though I have heard plenty about the chain. Here in the northeast, we are not exposed to nearly as many chains. For instance, we don't have Hardee's, Sonic, or Carl's Jr. I would like to try one just once though. They have to beat Taco Bell!!!
#44
Craig328
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 89
  • Joined: 2003/05/10 21:29:00
  • Location: Palm Beach, FL, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/10/01 16:48:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tamandmik

quote:
Originally posted by Lone Star

Jack-in-the-box tacos. Accept no substitute. Except maybe a chili size at the Waffle House.

I have to confess to never eating a Jack In The Box taco, though I have heard plenty about the chain. Here in the northeast, we not exposed to nearly as many chains. For instance, we have Hardee's, Sonic, or Carl's Jr. I would like to try one just once though. They have to beat Taco Bell!!!


Jack in the Box's were all over the northeast when I was growing up in the late 60's-70's. My favorite and first fast food joint to have a drive-up window was the Jack in the Box in Edison (Menlo Park), NJ right across from the Menlo Park Mall.
#45
Texicana
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 185
  • Joined: 2003/07/19 20:15:00
  • Location: Ashland, KY
  • Status: offline
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/10/01 17:46:10 (permalink)
OOers, the husband is well aware of what TeeJay's Country can do for a liquor binge. Across the river from us in Ironton OH, we have something similar called the ChickenCoop at a place called Peddler's that stays open all night.
#46
KimChee43
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 382
  • Joined: 2003/08/25 19:10:00
  • Location: Chicago, IL
  • Status: offline
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/10/01 18:19:40 (permalink)
Always something sweet. Whatever we have on hand. Washed down with a couple of glasses of cold milk.
#47
kdiammond
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 133
  • Joined: 2003/02/28 21:12:00
  • Location: McLean, VA
  • Status: offline
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/10/01 21:54:51 (permalink)
In highschool was in Bethesda, MD and we went after parties to Tastee Diner (still there!). Our usual poison after a long party night was homefries with creamed chipped beef and fried eggs on top with ketchup. It was bad, but it was good!
#48
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2876
  • Joined: 2001/07/11 13:25:00
  • Location: L.A, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/10/02 02:24:55 (permalink)
So...ever been thrown out of an establishment whilst intoxicated?

Once (in my early 20s), around 3 am, I went to JOHNNY'S FRENCH DIP PASTRAMI for the first time. I ordered a French Dip. They gave me a pastrami sandwich with jus. I said,
"No, I wanted a FRENCH DIP"
"That IS a FRENCH DIP".
"This is pastrami!"
"It's a pastrami french dip"
"Pastrami is pastrami and french dip is french dip!"
After much argument they took me outside to show me the sign:

JOHNNY'S
FRENCH DIP
PASTRAMI

I said, "Those are 2 seperate sandwiches; they are on 2 seperate lines!"
Needless to say, they took advantage of the fact that we were already outside to encourage my date to usher me into the car.
#49
Oneiron339
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2075
  • Joined: 2002/02/13 13:38:00
  • Location: Marietta, GA
  • Status: offline
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/10/02 08:53:13 (permalink)
The best de-tox is to always take the aspirin before you go to bed, but the eggs, bacon, cheeseburgers, fries, Liva-Snaps, whatever, helps, too.
#50
Mayhaw Man
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 589
  • Joined: 2003/07/05 09:59:00
  • Location: Abita Springs, LA
  • Status: offline
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/10/02 09:09:18 (permalink)
A long time ago, my wife had been out to see The Neville Brothers (when they were funky and before Aarron started crooning full time) and after the show headed for the much heralded Camellia Grill on Carrollton Ave in New Orleans. I ordered a spanish omelette and orange juice. She ordered a waffle and a coke.

The waiter in whites and a bow tie delivered our drinks and performed the ritual of "the removal of paper from the straw". My wife took a sip of her drink and....that is where the trouble began.

My wife immediatly informed me and everyone around me that she had not been delivered a coke. There was something wrong with her order and she wanted it filled again. The waiter tasted the drink in the machine and pronounced it o.k. He poured her another and this time her reaction was even worse. I finally tasted her drink, just to see what the hub bub was about and it immediatly occured to me what the problem was. Even though the machine said Coke, with the familiar red and white wavelike label, it was actually dispensing "new coke". As soon as I verbalized my theory, my wife lost it.

"What kind of place is this? I've been coming here all my life and I thought ya'll were traditionalist. You big suck ups to corporate marketing strategy, etc., etc., ad infinitum.

I finally had to physically remove her from the place and escort her back to her padded cell. I have only seen her behave like that one other time in twenty years, and that involved an incident with me, a checkbook, and a 1972 convertible Volkswagen and the subsequent undiscussed purchase thereof.

Normally she is a nice, friendly, hippie mom type.

Just don't bring her a "New Coke" or buy any cool used cars without asking her about it first

#51
Rusty246
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2413
  • Joined: 2003/07/15 14:43:00
  • Location: Newberry, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/10/02 11:26:27 (permalink)
Eat and ruin a good buzz?!?!? I eat beforehand...anything.
#52
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 865
  • Joined: 2003/07/03 17:48:00
  • Location: Clemson, SC
  • Status: offline
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/10/02 11:44:37 (permalink)
Waffle House. When you absolutely must be sober, a double order of hash browns, covered and diced, will do it. But I don't play the Waffle House songs over and over, as some do. I'm not that cruel.
#53
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 865
  • Joined: 2003/07/03 17:48:00
  • Location: Clemson, SC
  • Status: offline
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/10/02 11:48:47 (permalink)
Mayhaw Man, there isn't anything wrong with Aaron's crooning. He can still get funky when funk is called for. Have you heard his cover of "Ain't No Sunshine When You're Gone"? I do wish he and his brothers would tour more. Upstate SC could use the Neville Brothers to put some funk in their trunks.
#54
aimala66
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 100
  • Joined: 2003/09/03 14:20:00
  • Location: detroit, MI
  • Status: offline
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/10/02 12:16:38 (permalink)
in detroit, after a night of boozin', i eat at one of the following places:

lafayette coney island for a coney and cheese fries (real shredded cheddar, not that metled goo) and a coke.

josephs coney island for a grilled cheese that is good both drunk or hung over...a rare thing. and a coke, of course...

geneva burger for sliders with onion rings and coke.

AND both geneva and lafayette have interesting crowds that go well with late nite public drunkeness
#55
Rusty246
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2413
  • Joined: 2003/07/15 14:43:00
  • Location: Newberry, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/10/02 12:18:25 (permalink)
Actually after giving this thought, I do usually eat.....crow.

For dessert it'd have to be Waffle House, or Krystal burgers.
#56
Mayhaw Man
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 589
  • Joined: 2003/07/05 09:59:00
  • Location: Abita Springs, LA
  • Status: offline
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/10/02 12:57:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by improviser

Mayhaw Man, there isn't anything wrong with Aaron's crooning. He can still get funky when funk is called for. Have you heard his cover of "Ain't No Sunshine When You're Gone"? I do wish he and his brothers would tour more. Upstate SC could use the Neville Brothers to put some funk in their trunks.


I completely agree that there is NOTHING wrong with Aarron Neville's voice. With the very notable exceptions of the late Mahalia Jackson and the late Tan Canary, Johnny Adams, there has never been a finer voice to come out of Orleans Parish (with the possible exception of Irma Thomas, but I think she has made some very bad material choices over the years).

That being said........if you had had the pleasure to witness the Neville Brothers in their earliest inception as the"Neville Brothers" you would know what I mean. This would be the period when Tipitina's had just opened and the Funky Meters and the Wild Magnolias (both of whom were wonderful on their own) had disbanded and joined forces (kind of) to become the Neville Brothers. The Nevilles with Darrell Johnson on bass and Brian Stoltz on guitar (he was only about 19 or 20 at that point) were awesome. Huge repetoire, great chops, cheap cover charge, I never had a complaint. The now out of print album "Neville Brothers 1982, Live at Tipitina's" perfectly captures the feeling of this act. I was at the shows and they nailed it. THe record is still available on ebay from a bunch of sources. Get it. It is one funky piece of work.

Some of the best nights of my entire life were spent watching these guys. I have rarely achieved since the feeling of stumbling out into the light after 5 hours of the funk. I always left feeling grateful to be alive. I guess that is what great music is all about. Los Lobos can still do it to me, occasionally. Lots of jazz can.

After Aarron's album of standards with Linda Ronstadt the focus of the band changed to accomodate fans of the crooning thing. While their shows in New Orleans have remained substantially different than what they play in Casino's and Festivals, there is still a twenty or thiry minute break with nothing bu Aarron on stage doing Ave Maria, etc. It can be wonderful, but I generally find myself looking for Art and Cyril playing keyboard vocal tag until the roof blows off of the place.

Just my humble opinion, but if you think I feel strongly about good food, I feel ten times stronger about music. They are both food for the soul

#57
skylar0ne
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 473
  • Joined: 2003/09/10 18:23:00
  • Location: Salisbury, NC
  • Status: offline
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/10/02 13:14:46 (permalink)
quote:
originally posted by improvisor:

Waffle House. When you absolutely must be sober, a double order of hash browns, covered and diced, will do it. But I don't play the Waffle House songs over and over, as some do. I'm not that cruel.


I gotta agree with you on that one, improvisor..Waffle House wins by default around here, because it's the only place that's open when the parties are all ending. Hubby and I are too old to party, and we're not big drinkers. But we have had the pleasure many times of looking for something to eat after 11pm here, and always end up at Waffle House, simply because it's the only place to go.


#58
Howard Baratz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 449
  • Joined: 2000/07/03 09:50:00
  • Location: ,
  • Status: offline
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/10/02 18:17:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Mayhaw Man

quote:
Originally posted by improviser

Mayhaw Man, there isn't anything wrong with Aaron's crooning. He can still get funky when funk is called for. Have you heard his cover of "Ain't No Sunshine When You're Gone"? I do wish he and his brothers would tour more. Upstate SC could use the Neville Brothers to put some funk in their trunks.


I completely agree that there is NOTHING wrong with Aarron Neville's voice. With the very notable exceptions of the late Mahalia Jackson and the late Tan Canary, Johnny Adams, there has never been a finer voice to come out of Orleans Parish (with the possible exception of Irma Thomas, but I think she has made some very bad material choices over the years).

That being said........if you had had the pleasure to witness the Neville Brothers in their earliest inception as the"Neville Brothers" you would know what I mean. This would be the period when Tipitina's had just opened and the Funky Meters and the Wild Magnolias (both of whom were wonderful on their own) had disbanded and joined forces (kind of) to become the Neville Brothers. The Nevilles with Darrell Johnson on bass and Brian Stoltz on guitar (he was only about 19 or 20 at that point) were awesome. Huge repetoire, great chops, cheap cover charge, I never had a complaint. The now out of print album "Neville Brothers 1982, Live at Tipitina's" perfectly captures the feeling of this act. I was at the shows and they nailed it. THe record is still available on ebay from a bunch of sources. Get it. It is one funky piece of work.

Some of the best nights of my entire life were spent watching these guys. I have rarely achieved since the feeling of stumbling out into the light after 5 hours of the funk. I always left feeling grateful to be alive. I guess that is what great music is all about. Los Lobos can still do it to me, occasionally. Lots of jazz can.

After Aarron's album of standards with Linda Ronstadt the focus of the band changed to accomodate fans of the crooning thing. While their shows in New Orleans have remained substantially different than what they play in Casino's and Festivals, there is still a twenty or thiry minute break with nothing bu Aarron on stage doing Ave Maria, etc. It can be wonderful, but I generally find myself looking for Art and Cyril playing keyboard vocal tag until the roof blows off of the place.

Just my humble opinion, but if you think I feel strongly about good food, I feel ten times stronger about music. They are both food for the soul




Mayhaw:

I'm with you on numerous counts. About the only thing that turns me on more than food (and my wife, of course) is music.

The funky early Nevilles stuff, such as "Fiyo on the Bayou" and "Hey Pocky Way", is incredible and way outshines the more recent AOR Nevilles recordings. By the way, I think that the Live at Tipitina's CD is still available at Amazon.com.

For pure spine-tingling vocalizing, Johnny Adams "The Real Me" gives me shivers. Almost all of Johnny's Rounder recordings, whether Jazz, Standards or Blues, were truly remarkable.The untimely passing of The Tan Canary was certainly a great loss for music lovers everywhere. It's a shame he never reached a larger commercial audience.
#59
ocdreamr
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1109
  • Joined: 2003/03/12 22:03:00
  • Location: Wilmington, NC
  • Status: offline
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/10/02 21:21:11 (permalink)
I'm in an accounting office & we are going through a complete system change (software et al) & at the same time we are ending one fiscal year & starting another Yesterday I was playing a CD I had made up of AAron's songs, since they have been driving us pretty hard in the office we decided that "Angola Bound" was our new theme song, but we all nearly fell off our chairs when they delivered new computer monitors to us & sat the boxes in the doorways of our cubicles, pretty much blocking us in! We said, now the jailhouse effect was complete!
#60
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1